Private health insurance in addition to NHI

Hello,

I’m moving to Taiwan at the end of this year to start working there, and I am trying to make a plan of all my expenses. I have visited my workplace, and they told me that getting a private health insurance is recommendable. They told me that the rates are probably different for foreigners, so how much does it approximately cost? My wife will also move with me, and I have to cover her with a travelling insurance the first four months before she gets her ARC (and then NHI). Can she also get a private health insurance without working, or even before she gets NHI?

I am trying to find information about any private insurance companies but I can’t find anything. Can anyone help me here?

Try contacting the user here called Edgar Allen. He could advise you about private health insurance as he’s a financial advisor. There are plenty of users here who could vouch for him. That said, as he advised me, the public health system in Taiwan is “fairly robust”. In other words, he said I really didn’t need to get private health insurance here, so you are quite possibly in the same position.

Thanks for your reply. The job has been initiated by my current firm in germany, and my company want to assure that my health insurance in Taiwan is at least at the same level as my “normal” health insurance in germany. That means if NHI does not provide the same benefits, my current firm will make sure the additional fees are covered. A private health insurance has a fix cost(?) and would be easier to calculate in my expenses. I will be the first employee that works abroad with a permanent residence, and the partner-company in Taiwan has no experience with foreign employees either, so I have to do some research myself regarding personal expenses.

Right. That makes sense. Talk to Edgar Allen then. Check out this thread about his financial planning advice/business:

[url]Financial Planning

You can buy private insurance as soon as you have ARC. Without it, it is not possible.

Actually this is untrue. If you buy an offshore policy targeted at ex-pats then you can buy without an ARC, the cover would be massively higher than a local Taiwan plan and will much more suitable for things like major operations and long term care. It may also cover things like Physio which is important if you play a lot of sport. It will also be completely transportable across borders which is important for people like me who move around, and travel extensively.

For most people Taiwan’s system is “good enough” but it will not provide the same level of cover as most European countries.

Offshore insurance is expensive and I have not yet sold one in Taiwan.

I think I am meeting the OP this weekend. Many thanks for the positive feedback guyintaiwan.

No problems. Always willing to help.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=65658

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=17151

Actually this is untrue. If you buy an offshore policy targeted at ex-pats then you can buy without an ARC, the cover would be massively higher than a local Taiwan plan and will much more suitable for things like major operations and long term care. It may also cover things like Physio which is important if you play a lot of sport. It will also be completely transportable across borders which is important for people like me who move around, and travel extensively.

For most people Taiwan’s system is “good enough” but it will not provide the same level of cover as most European countries.

Offshore insurance is expensive and I have not yet sold one in Taiwan.

I think I am meeting the OP this weekend. Many thanks for the positive feedback guyintaiwan.[/quote]

We were denied the insurance before receiving ARC. I think there is a difference if you are coming here for the ex-pat contract or not.