Private Lesson: what is/isn't legal/illegal

Sorry to butt in here, but I just want to find out if the people giving/asking for advice are legally eligible to teach privates. It could be so easy for the government to bust you at this. I doubt very much that they would, but they could. Please be careful. I fear, once again, that a person in a position of responsibility is offering poor advice without thinking of all the potential pitfalls. It is illegal to teach privates if you are here on an ARC. Please, moderators and Admin of F.com, think before you post such advice. It only takes 1 Peter Chen-type personality to start working at the FAP or CLA and someone’s entire house of cards will come tumbling down. I only caution you as I have had 2 good friends deported recently and, believe you me, the crunch is on and it’s only going to get worse. Imagine if you were charged with weeding Taiwan of illegal privateers. Now imagine that you knew about f.com. It would be so easy to turn this site into lead central. An industrious cop could earn alot feathers setting up forumosans who believe that teaching privates is as serious a crime as spitting. It is a deportable offence, and while I love the new bed I bought for a song off my deported pal, I miss him even more. And I know he is not happy about having to fire-sale 4 years of possesions.

To the OP’s question, I have often thought about this myself and once I can legally teach privates, I believe I would indeed convert part of my apartment into a studio/classroom. I would probably set my sights on generating enough clients to warrant renting an additional apartment and furnish it exclusively for teaching. But until I am legally entitled to do so, I will not teach privates.

I believe the OP is a dual citizen, so she can pretty much do what she wants without too much fear of reprisal.

If that is the case why not just do it legally then?

If that is the case why not just do it legally then?[/quote]

HOw? Just report it on your taxes I would think, right?

HOw? Just report it on your taxes I would think, right?[/quote]

I guess that would work…the only problem might be when does the # of students constitute a school?

I guess that would work…the only problem might be when does the # of students constitute a school?[/quote]

Why would she have to report HOW the income was earned??

I guess that would work…the only problem might be when does the # of students constitute a school?[/quote]

Why would she have to report HOW the income was earned??[/quote]

It is always best to be as honest as possible. If the OP starts taking students away from the local language school or becoming too successful then there might be repercussions…all it takes is one call to the local fire department to “report” a fire hazard…or calling the education bureau…or the child welfare bureau…or the tax bureau. Take your pick…I have seen all of these options “used” before.

Why would she have to report HOW the income was earned??[/quote]

It is always best to be as honest as possible. If the OP starts taking students away from the local language school or becoming too successful then there might be repercussions…all it takes is one call to the local fire department to “report” a fire hazard…or calling the education bureau…or the child welfare bureau…or the tax bureau. Take your pick…I have seen all of these options “used” before.[/quote]

True. Did the OP say whether or not she was planning on teaching kids or adults?

Just to be clear, I was referrring more to the moderator’s (ImaniOU) admission that she does privates. I was questioning her eligibilty as much as the OP’s. Being dual certainly qualifies her and that was my point. Is the moderator a dual citizen as well?

That’s my point. If some naive kid steps off the plane and then gets nailed for teaching a private because a person in a position of knowledge suggests that it’s fine and dandy to do so, that would not be so in line with the spirit of such a place as f.com, would it? There is an awful lot of responsibilty that goes along with representing the expat community, and volunteer or not, one must mete out information with that responsibility and a heightened sense of diligence. I haven’t been around f.com long, but I do see many instances where those in positions of would-be mentors encourage illegal behaviour.

Even the smilie that JDSmith closes the above quote with leads me to believe that he doesn’t take what I am attempting to say very seriously. He and ImaniOU are the moderators of a very important forum and if they aren’t aware that they are supporting illegal actions, then something is very wrong here. Just a “heads up”. I do believe that the site is a valuable resource, but it does reflect a certain disdain for the laws of the land.

I do not believe that is the case. :slight_smile:[/quote]

That’s my point. If some naive kid steps off the plane and then gets nailed for teaching a private because a person in a position of knowledge suggests that it’s fine and dandy to do so, that would not be so in line with the spirit of such a place as f.com, would it? There is an awful lot of responsibilty that goes along with representing the expat community, and volunteer or not, one must mete out information with that responsibility and a heightened sense of diligence. I haven’t been around f.com long, but I do see many instances where those in positions of would-be mentors encourage illegal behaviour. [/quote]

Well, that’s a good point and you are right of course. Foreigners teaching private lessons in their house or in the house of the student are breaking the law.

However, I do not believe that many people are unaware of this. Teaching privates has an element of risk to it, but it is not as risky as teaching private lessons in say, Korea.

Please do not misunderstand my smilie. I smile all the time. :wink:

I do not believe I am supporting or promoting any illegal activity in Taiwan, although I do make illegal right turns on red. Teaching privates is not something I do nor is it something I advise people to do.

I am sorry to hear that your friends were deported, but were they deported for working illegaly or for teaching illegal privates? There is a big difference here.

Again, so that we are clear. You are right AFAIK. Foreigners cannot legally teach private lessons.

The reality of the situation is that many foreigners DO teach private lessons all the time, all over the island, and never have a problem with it.

I still say that I am not supporting or promoting this acitvity; I’m simply writing what is obvious.

peace

:rainbow:

What is the big difference, both are working illegally, ie beyond the scope as that given on the work visa.

What is the big difference, both are working illegally, ie beyond the scope as that given on the work visa.[/quote]

The police actively pursue illegal teaching at schools. That’s a pretty big difference to me. The illegality of both though, no, is not in question; what’s is in question is the lack of enforcement of the latter.

And welcome back. :slight_smile:

What is the big difference, both are working illegally, ie beyond the scope as that given on the work visa.[/quote]

The police actively pursue illegal teaching at schools. That’s a pretty big difference to me. The illegality of both though, no, is not in question; what’s is in question is the lack of enforcement of the latter.

And welcome back. :slight_smile:[/quote]

I would imagine it is a little more difficult to enforce the latter, as that would require entering private homes etc without due cause, unless of course they had entrapped the teacher. Enforcing illegal teaching at schools is far simpler by comparison, the number is small in relative terms.

Not necessarily. ~sigh~ Different foreigners have different eligibilities when it comes to working legally.

Not necessarily. ~sigh~ Different foreigners have different eligibilities when it comes to working legally.[/quote]

Maoman

Whilst technically you are correct, as the number of foreignors in the teaching industry married to locals, or with APRC’s etc is somewhat small, to the vast majority left, it wouyld be illegal for them to teach privates.

It is also generally this group of people who are less informed as to what their rights etc are, and therefore the most at risk.

Not necessarily. ~sigh~ Different foreigners have different eligibilities when it comes to working legally.[/quote]
Maoman, whilst technically you are correct, as the number of foreignors in the teaching industry married to locals, or with APRC’s etc is somewhat small, to the vast majority left, it wouyld be illegal for them to teach privates. It is also generally this group of people who are less informed as to what their rights etc are, and therefore the most at risk.[/quote]
Right you are. It benefits no one to spread false information, however. Forumosa isn’t a homogenous community. Different laws apply to different people.

Maoman, whilst technically you are correct, as the number of foreignors in the teaching industry married to locals, or with APRC’s etc is somewhat small, to the vast majority left, it wouyld be illegal for them to teach privates. It is also generally this group of people who are less informed as to what their rights etc are, and therefore the most at risk.[/quote]
Right you are. It benefits no one to spread false information, however. Forumosa isn’t a homogenous community. Different laws apply to different people.[/quote]

Indeed, but unless each relevant thread has a post in it giving such detailed info then it is better to look at the majority not the minority.

All to often people post things without thinking about the implications for others, i have just posted such a warning in the pets forum for the upcoming Animalstaiwan request for volunteers, where no where does it mention that volunterring could get you deported.

Would it be possible to clarify this then, once and for all?

Unmarried foreingers? cannot teach privates??

I certainly do not wish to spread untruths or murk up the waters any more than they already are; tell me what’s da truth and I will use that when I try to explain what all this is about.

I don’t want to get caught up in legalese, but there must be a way for people to find out, simply and easily if they are able to legal teach private lessons, no?

jdmostgrateful :blush:

People with ARC’s based on:

Marriage (JFRV) = can teach privates.
Work (ARC) = can’t teach privates. AFAIK, this still applies to people with APRC’s because they still need a work permit. God only knows if this is still the case.