Private Schools in Taiwan Thread (For Teachers)

Iirc, a substitute teacher license is usually ok, unless the license says you can only teach at a specific school or for a short limited period.

1 Like

Would the best way to go about it to be sending my resume in person? Should I go from school to school with my CV in nice cloths (not suite and tie, just arrived need to adjust to the weather)?

Depending on the school, the security guard may not let you in without an appointment. Even if you could get in, you may have trouble locating the HR office if it’s a larger campus.

I got paid a little more than the local Taiwanese teachers but still less than the Western teachers. What sucked was being held to Taiwanese standards of having to come in early/leave late as well as nitpicking over my personal life.

I got written up simply for being seen outside of working hours, off campus, with a female colleague. When I pointed out that there were other couples at the school, I basically was told that if I was a foreigner they’d not say anything because “It’s a different culture” but as a Taiwanese me being seen with a female colleague would be bad for the school’s image.

1 Like

Yep. I don’t remember which, but in some states you don’t even need to be in the state. If you can get your fingerprints done in Taiwan and the FBI accepts it, the background check is the only hurdle. I was going to try it, but decided I didn’t like the sound of teaching at a private school.

1 Like

I couldn’t believe it, so checked online. You only need a bachelor’s in any subject. Costs $50 in some states.

These guys can work in the Taiwanese public school system with no teaching experience. Incredible!

1 Like

I was out and about today looking at schools, trying to get their numbers to make an appointment.(changed my mind of just walking in, strange big man=not a good idea imo) looked at Cram schools too but I’m a bit skeptical seeing alot of younger aged children (5 and younger) being taught by foreigners. I’ll keep pounding the pavement. Thanks guys :slight_smile:
Ps: tips on getting elementary school hr phone numbers without going to the physical school would be appreciated

google. Some are here.

1 Like

You need to walk in.

I’m getting a Far Flung Scot feeling here.

2 Likes

I tried to walk in to 3 different cram schools and was spooked. They all seemed to not have a reception desk only classrooms where teachers where already in session, teaching very young children mind you.
Now I’m a bit more mindful of my surroundings then most because I’m taller and bigger than most. I don’t want to disrupt class or cause panic.
Or I’m being a baby :joy:

You are coming at an odd time.
Schools are halfway into the first semester. Chances of finding a vacancy are low. Best time to look is a month before Chinese New Year for runners and around April for the next school year.

If you find a spot now it is most likely because a teacher couldn’t hack it and jumped ship. Which means you need to clean up after them and get their class running again mid semester, build a quick but solid management plan with the kids and shore up uneasy parents.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Oooo okay, I can definently wait till Chinese new year, no problem. Rather not sit around twiddling my thumbs but I’m in it for the long game. I’ll keep trying. Thanks guys

Keep in mind if you do find a vacant spot at a private school right now, you have hit the negotiating jackpot.

The school will be pretty much desperate to shore up a hole in their teaching staff and that could land you a significantly higher starting salary. You just need to play your cards right.

1 Like

Let me know if you would like more info on working in public schools. I work for one of the companies that helps place people in public schools (Teach Taiwan) so I’d be happy to connect you with someone to chat about your options for the future.

As you and others have mentioned it would be really challenging to work in a public school without much teaching experience, which of course is why the interview process is much stricter than just verifying that you have a piece of paper saying you’re qualified to teach. But since you said you’re in it for the long game it might be a good option for you down the road as you gain confidence and experience. Just something to keep in mind!

Best of luck! I hope you’re able to find something that is a good fit for you soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you want to use the sub license, the only shot you really have is at a public school. I did this for a few years and I know plenty of other people who have done it. Cram schools don’t give a hoot if you have one or not. Public schools are generally desperate and can’t fill all the positions they have given the licensed teacher requirement, hence the sub license loophole.

These recent posts don’t have anything to do with this thread though, as this is about private schools. As for working at a private school on a sub license, it could be done, but it’s very unlikely, you’d have to build up some more experience and maybe even get an APRC. Or you could work at places that are absolutely horrid, like CICT.

2 Likes

This isn’t true for all schools. Most international schools got wise to this scheme and require a full BEd in addition to being certified to teach in your home country

Not all private schools are international schools. Very few are. Private bilingual or just plain private schools far outnumber international schools.

3 Likes

Legal requirements to teach at local private schools are same with public schools.

International schools follow to the regulations of their home country.

People said you have a better chance of securing a job in January. No one said you should sit back and “twiddle your thumbs.” Keep pounding that pavement, you never know. And what’s this malarkey about being too scared to drop in on places? Because you’re a big guy? Give me a break, dude. This world belongs to the brave and the bold. If someone freaks out because you’re a tall or big guy, you probably shouldn’t work there anyway, but I highly doubt that’ll happen or that’s something you should worry about. Get back out there and keep looking… it’s already November, so it’s possible some places are just starting to put feelers out for hires for the new semester.

2 Likes

Big, tall, baby. Forgot to put the last part hahaha. Today I’ve gone in and started to talk to managers and reps. Just needed those good old kicks in my rear.

2 Likes

This may be true, but it ignores the point. One only ever seen one guy get hired in all my years here with a substitute paper. I think it use to work. But in my experience at American schools, bilingual schools, and international schools :they all require proper credentials.
It is you true that you may be able to find some that don’t care, but that is not the norm anymore, in my experience.

1 Like

Yeah, surely they find out at interview stage. One hopes, at least.