Private Schools in Taiwan Thread (For Teachers)

as stated already, just check individual sites of the schools. A lot of the private schools (and even some of the international schools) will start posting ads on Tealit looking for people for next school year soon.

LinkedIn has a bunch of schools posting. Many FB groups have ads.

I posted my bio and photo on several FB groups and got plenty of offers. The job I settled on is an elite private school that doesn’t run ads apparently because I’d never seen their ads before. 2 different branches of the school contacted me only because of my FB post.

I had sent out a ton of emails to different schools looking for teachers and might have had 5% respond.

These schools are going to be combining classes if they have the room or simply discontinuing classes if they don’t find teachers.

Really limited options for the schools. Some of the chains I’ve visited as a sub has been eye opening. Very young teachers that look unkept and really out of shape. I understand the after school programs want young teachers but the ones I’ve seen could hardly be said to be desirable especially combined with what the students had to say about their teachers.

1 Like

It was worth it for me, though I spent well over USD100 for the 19 hours I spent in Taichung (HSR tickets, hotel stay, uber ride high into the mountains and back). I made a few friends and got an interview with one of the more desirable schools in Taiwan that seemed to go well. Among the few schools that did do interviews, I don’t think any of them were actually making offers on the spot. Maybe I didn’t talk to as many people as I thought I talked to? Since TAS, TES and KAS attended this year, I think there were a lot more people that attended. It looked like TAS and KangChaio (two schools that did “info sessions”) were just collecting resumes for fun, so follow up with the schools would be key, possibly rendering one’s attendance pointless, depending on goals.

yes, LinkedIn is finally becoming a place in Taiwan where foreigners can look for jobs, both teaching and non-teaching.

difficult for me to think of what “elite private school” with more than one branch doesn’t run ads…

I assume they might use recruiters who do not disclose the school name in the ads. Think for a moment, how “elite” would the school appear if they are running ads letting the world know they are NEEDING teachers RiGHT NOW? START IMMEDIATELY !!! ASAP !!! URGENT !!!

Like I said, I posted an ad on FB and had all sorts of offers from people I had never seen recruiting before.

If you are a school constantly recruiting while revealing your school name etc… You don’t think parents who see or hear about the ads might question how stable the situation is?

it doesn’t really matter. I mean, a certain school that has multiple branches and may or may not have the letters K and C in their name advertises ALL THE TIME, yet somehow they seem to be able to hold on to the perception that their school is elite with parents. For the most part, parents are too busy to look into silly things like this.

1 Like

Kangchaio usually says “we’re recruiting for next school year” starting in June. As in, June 2021 = “we’re all hired for the 2021-2022 school year, but we’re accepting applications for 2022-2023”. I assume they then called up people they feel are the most qualified for the 2021-22 school year.

Job search in TW 101: do not try to work at schools that are constantly advertising for new teachers, especially if they often have a posting, take it down for two weeks, and put it back up. The likelihood of the teacher having quit due to crap conditions or not shown up because they reached out to other teachers there is very high.

I think I know the guy you’re talking about. I was once forced to hire someone like that, over two candidates with a Masters degree. This was well before the pandemic, so it wasn’t as if the government wasn’t giving visas

why were you forced to hire this guy if others were clearly more qualified?

Officially, it was because they didn’t have money in the budget for flights or visas. But I suspect the real reason was the guy he wanted to hire was a buddy of his. Oh and if the guy turns out to be a screw-up, well, you signed off on him so it’s your problem.

No worries though, just have the guy fluff up his resume by calling his 6 week Mandarin course “post graduate studies at NTU”

I don’t see many teaching positions on LinkedIn but I see plenty of professional jobs

Dies anyone have experience with fushing private school in Daan? Also with VIS?

I’ve applied for both of these and would be interested in hearing what it’s like to work at these schools/what the pay is like.

Since I got snubbed by TAS :laughing:

I did some subbing at FH a few years ago and was impressed. The staff (teaching & admin) were very professional and I didn’t sense any of the b.s. one can encounter in many other Taiwanese schools. Most of the kids come from filthy rich families and end up in the US for higher education. I spoke to one new teacher and he implied that he was earning close to 100k. There seem to be a number of teachers who’ve been there for some years and that’s a good sign.

Ntd or usd? NT$100k/month is pretty much the floor for a licensed (like, a real license, not a sub/alternative license) teacher with experience at a private school that puts any value into upholding the idea that they’re a real school. I can name quite a few fake international schools that pay NT$80k+ to any white guy with a pulse to spend the day babysitting, so given @DogmaticStoic ’s experience, I wouldn’t call that salary particularly impressive, just “standard”.

And if you need to spend 10+ hours a day at the school, get extra work done on the weekends or school breaks, or deal with ridiculous parent demands outside of contract hours, that 100k/month quickly degrades/averages out to ~NT$400 an hour or even much less.

3 Likes

Well, unless you’re teaching at TAS or something similar, then you’ll be hard pressed to find something with an “impressive” salary. I strongly suspect that the teachers there are making, for the most part, more than 100k a month. Also, I’m not even sure this guy was licensed because I remember talking to him about it and was surprised. Anyhow, most of the teachers there were very professional and seemed content. Since I was subbing, I didn’t have to deal with parents and I think that admin people handled that. To what extent teachers are doing lots of “extra work”, I don’t know. Some stayed late and others left early. No place is perfect, especially in Taiwan since education is so highly valued :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The question is if that 100k is before or after housing benefits or airfare is included?

Thanks for the insight into the school. What you said sounds encouraging. How long ago did you sub there? Like within the last 2-3 years? I’ve been asking around outside here and have heard other things about the school but they were mich longer ago.

Some teachers from reddit implied that 120,000 was the new standard after you include all the benefits. But they didn’t say that was for Fuhsing specifically. If you do the math 120,000 × 13 = 1,560,000 NTD which is almost the equivalent of 50,000 USD a year. It seems like this high of a salary might be worth it but only if the hours don’t spill over past regular working hours. So anything more than 20 hours a week of teaching will not be worth it most likely (public school teachers cannot be given more than 22 hours of class time a week).