Private tutor in Yilan

I’ll be living in Yilan City for five months next year. Does anyone know of a good private tutor? Is it any good to get one from Fo Guang or are there better options? I’m pretty much a beginner for what it’s worth , and I want to focus on conversation.

I don’t know how flexible the folk at Fo Guang are in terms of focusing on speaking/listening to the exclusion or downplay of reading and writing. Maybe someone else can comment more fully on that.

If you can’t find someone who will “play along” with your plan, TLI is now doing some online stuff (still fairly traditional methods), or I teach online (definitely not traditional methods). A focus on listening and speaking would be possible in these cases.

Thank you Terry. The most important thing is the pure one on one, tailored experience. I hope that these five months will give me a significant boost. I understand quite a lot but hardly speak. I might be able to read and write one day but for now I just want to be able to talk to my son in Chinese when he gets older.

If that’s specifically what you’re looking for, then (shameless plug) that’s precisely what I do.

Terry,

Do you know if there are any short (even just 1-2 minutes) video clips on YouTube showing either yourself, or another Chinese instructor, demonstrating how “circling” works with CI in Mandarin ? thanks. I’ve looked in Youtube, found a few things for French and Spanish, but didn’t see anything for Mandarin. Thanks…

Don’t know of any.

You can see it at Taiwan ETA next month if you’ll be around there, or we can meet up sometime between Oct 21-Nov 21 while I’ll be in Taiwan, and I’ll show you how it works.

I’m thinking of doing a Mandarin intensive (a weekend 8- or 16-hour intensive course for people with zero or very little Mandarin) while I’m in Taiwan, if I can find a suitable venue in Taipei and can get anyone who’s interested.

[quote=“ironlady”]Don’t know of any.

You can see it at Taiwan ETA next month if you’ll be around there, or we can meet up sometime between Oct 21-Nov 21 while I’ll be in Taiwan, and I’ll show you how it works.

I’m thinking of doing a Mandarin intensive (a weekend 8- or 16-hour intensive course for people with zero or very little Mandarin) while I’m in Taiwan, if I can find a suitable venue in Taipei and can get anyone who’s interested.[/quote]

Would be nice to attend, but I live in Los Angeles… Are you by any chance “transiting” via LAX on your way back to the US on Nov 21 ?

Hi there,

I’m a Taiwanese in Chung-hua County and I accidentally step into this website and encounter your demand. Well, that’s very nice to know that you learn Mandarin just because you plan to talk to your son in Chinese in the future. I would be very happy to help you if you can accept skype. I once talked to friends in Taiwan by that and it worked pretty well, not to mention that it’s free of stress to meet others in private. I am also confident of my pronunciation. You may wonder why I am so keen to do this. Well, this is also a way to learn English, if there’s any chance, and know other people. So feel free to contact me if you really need it. Take care.

Kevin

[quote=“YidaliRen”][quote=“ironlady”]Don’t know of any.

I’m thinking of doing a Mandarin intensive (a weekend 8- or 16-hour intensive course for people with zero or very little Mandarin) while I’m in Taiwan, if I can find a suitable venue in Taipei and can get anyone who’s interested.[/quote]

Would be nice to attend, but I live in Los Angeles… Are you by any chance “transiting” via LAX on your way back to the US on Nov 21 ?[/quote]

Looks like I’m through Detroit this time around. Sorry! Seems like there were fewer and fewer flights offered as options when I tried to book.

Hi there,

I’m a Taiwanese in Chung-hua County and I accidentally step into this website and encounter your demand. Well, that’s very nice to know that you learn Mandarin just because you plan to talk to your son in Chinese in the future. I would be very happy to help you if you can accept skype. I once talked to friends in Taiwan by that and it worked pretty well, not to mention that it’s free of stress to meet others in private. I am also confident of my pronunciation. You may wonder why I am so keen to do this. Well, this is also a way to learn English, if there’s any chance, and know other people. So feel free to contact me if you really need it. Take care.

Kevin[/quote]Thank you Kevin. If I would just want to talk casually I could talk to my wife or some friends. I’m looking for a teacher who’ll enable me to progress quickly. Thank you anyway!