Pro-Muslim?

Are there any pro-Muslim Forumosa posters? I’m not trying to tar everyone here with the same brush. I’m just wondering who will come forward and say “I am not an Islamophobe.”

If you’re undecided, a cursory scan of this link,

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-muslim

… may help you decide. I don’t think being an Islamophobe is a bannable offense anyway but I admit I’m not sure.

Search function is yer buddy. This was a thread a couple of months ago.
Maybe longer back - Time flies when you’re having fun…

Pro-Muslim? What on earth is that supposed to mean?
I’m not an Islamophobe I don’t think. Not too keen on the fanatics amongst them, though. Not too keen on fanatics of any stripe really, come to think of it. Specially when they have a preponderance for blowing people up.

I watch Little Mosque on the Prairie.

Sorry!! my bad for the double post. :frowning:

Or Rangers supporters. They’re pretty much beyond the pale.

Sorry, TainanCowboy, if you have the link, could you post it up here? I can’t find particularly which one you’re referring to.

Lurrky -
I think someone will eventually post it. There are some techno wizzes on here and they pull up things like this pretty quick.
For the moment you’re going to have to suffer thru the obligatory hazing for asking a “taboo” question like this.
Expect the semantic angle as well as those who will do a pyscho-babble $.10 cent diagnosis as to why you would even dare to ask such a Q as this.
But someone will probably post a link to the thread eventually… :joker:

I am prepared for both the hazing and the waiting. It’s just that the search functions brought up so many options I couldn’t peruse the whole thing. It’s like searching the bible for ‘israel’ — you find what you’re looking for, but too much of it.

I love devout religious types the world over. really.
If they want to waste their precious time trying to convert an infidel like me, then I suppose it’s all cool enough. Islam or otherwise. What ain’t acceptable is Sharia, or any other sort of atavistic rules that ARE not going to help humans reach any kind of salvation whatsoever, on this earth or otherwise…

I grew up as a muslim in my first 7 years, I studied islam and my dad is a muslim.
I got a lot of things from studying islam and later on studying the bible and the tora etc…
I don’t really see where your going with your question but I can only imagine. Think twice before posting these kind of topics, I don’t really see much coming out of them, but then again, it’s a public forum and there is something called free speech, right?
So, knock yourself out.

[quote=“lurkky”]Are there any pro-Muslim Forumosa posters? I’m not trying to tar everyone here with the same brush. I’m just wondering who will come forward and say “I am not an Islamophobe.”

… may help you decide. I don’t think being an Islamophobe is a bannable offense anyway but I admit I’m not sure.[/quote]

I do love religion, and the story of Aisha. Now how old exactly was she when she married the chosen one? Oh yes 9. Count me in.

[quote=“lurkky”]Are there any pro-Muslim Forumosa posters? I’m not trying to tar everyone here with the same brush. I’m just wondering who will come forward and say “I am not an Islamophobe.”

… may help you decide. I don’t think being an Islamophobe is a bannable offense anyway but I admit I’m not sure.[/quote]
:unamused:
Here, knock yourself out: “I, Jaboney, am not an Islamophobe.”
(I do, however, have an irrational fear of sharks.)

Having a phobia is not a bannable offense. Being excessively offensive, particular if it involves bigotry, may be.

I like the caption of Salman Rushdie in the wikipedia article: cites him as one of 12 prominent writers who signed a statement condemning Islamophobia as a “wretched concept.”

Ironic, considering some of the people he associates with are regularly labelled “Islamaphobes”, like Ibn Warraq and Robert Spencer, for instance.

Calling someone an “Islamophobe” is a clever way to stifle all debate and criticism of Islam and jihad. I know lots of people who have been labelled Islamophobes, including myself, and yet none of us have a “phobia” in the clinical sense of the term any more so than people who oppose gay rights have a “phobia” of gays and lesbians.

The terms Islamophobe and homophobe are nothing more than linguistic weapons used to stifle dissent. There’s also some machismo at play here too. The term phobia calls to people’s minds an overwhelming fear. Plenty of human beings have become so fearful of spiders that they are constantly distracted in their search for and avoidance of spiders, to the point they can no longer live a normal life and have to be cared for in a mental institution. As far as I know there isn’t anybody in the world with a legitimate phobia of homosexuals or Muslims. And yet by labeling someone a homophobe or Islamophobe you are implying they are cowardly. Kind of an ego boost I guess. But the more usual purpose is simply to muffle debate. Either accept gay rights in totality or you’re a homophobe. Either accept that Islam is the world’s official Religion of Peace™ or you’re an Islamophobe.

It’s funny, when I criticize Daoist apathy, nobody calls me a Daoismophobe. When I criticize the barbaric Buddhist theocracy of pre-invasion Tibet nobody calls me a Tibetan Buddhismophobe. I guess they those groups have not become PC-savvy enough to realize that asinine linguistic labeling really does work.

I have Muslim friends. My attitude towards Islam fluctuates a lot, basically according to my fickle emotions.

By the way, sources differ on the age of Ayesha at marriage and consummation. She might have been an adult, or she might have been six at marriage / nine at consummation. There’s a good wikipedia article giving all the hadiths.

I am a bin langophobe… :banana:

I have posted anti-Islamic arguments but that does not make me anti-Moslem. Anti-Islam is pro-Moslem. The Moslems have been the earliest victims of Islam. I daresay many of today’s Moslems are descended form Christians, Parsees, Hindus, Jews etc. who were converted by the sword (aka a common method of the “religion of peace”). Societies that were prospering pre-Islam gradually stagnated because “innovations are of the Devil”.

Many women who have been oppressed by the man-centred social milieu encouraged by Islam are gradually gaining freedom because of the influence of the west (with all its flaws) which of course went through a similar process over hundreds of years.

Islamophobe, I just love this word. Fear of Islam (and any other oppressive ideology), yes, once you learn how infidelophobic many of them can be (oh sorry, not a PC word). “Islamophobe-ic” was coined to try to repress any criticism of Islam. through the use of language (see George Orwell and 1984) It’s as if I were to to try to get the loyalists to shut up by inventing the word “Irishophobic”.(not that you can ever get those poor oppressed people to shut up :slight_smile:[sarc] )

I want the Moslems to be free and I sure as hell don’t want them to take away any of the freedoms I have now. So I’m anti-Islamic not anti-Moslem.

Pro-Muslim? As in Pro-Jew or Pro-Buddhist?

I’m pro-freedom-of-religion, so that makes me every bit as pro-Muslim as I am pro-Christian, pro-atheist and pro-Hindu.

However, once believers of a religion start interfering with politics and violating the freedoms of others, I am against such practices, though not the religion itself. A fundamentalist of any kind, be it Islamic, Christian, or Buddhist (e.g. Aum Shinriko), has the potential for being dangerous.

Not all Muslims are Islamic fundamentalists. This is something that is far too often forgotten these days.

Not sure what kind of question that is. I don’t think much of the some of claims inherent in Islam, peaceful or otherwise, though I think like most religions it does hit square on certain aspects of life. As for individual Muslims, I’ve known a few, made friends with a couple of them, and gotten really pissed off with one bc he was a spoiled brat. I don’t know whether that makes me “pro-moslem” or not, but so far my relations with them have been pretty normal I guess.

On a side note, I agree with those who have said they could be very much anti-Islam without being anti Muslim or being hostile to religion generally. In fact I’d say it’s intellectually lazy to morally equate disagreeement with Islam with hostility towards its practitioners, or to insist that one must be equally for or against all religions.

what a strange question…pro-muslim? if I say no, does that make me anti-muslim. :stuck_out_tongue:

[color=blue]very true. as long as your arguments are based on fact and are not just some recycled propoganda BS like your arguments below:[/color]

[color=blue]converted by the sword? let’s check our history my friend, I’m sure you’ll find one other religion that has much more blood on it’s hands when it comes to spreading religion.[/color]

[color=blue]it’s actually the opposite. take a look at this documentary. it sheds light on important scientific contributions Moslims have made: pbs.org/empires/islam/ …best and most balanced account of Islamic history I’ve come across [/color]
3. [quote]Many women who have been oppressed by the man-centred social milieu encouraged by Islam are gradually gaining freedom because of the influence of the west (with all its flaws) which of course went through a similar process over hundreds of years.[/quote]
[color=blue]The backward practices regularly tied to Moslims (honour killings and punishing the victim of rape instead of its instigator) stem from societies where the knowledge of Islam has been lost among the people. Islam preaches equality but cultural traditions often stifle this fact when ignorant ppl use Islam to make something evil (oppression) seem right.

It’s strange that so many ppl who have strong negative opinions about Islam don’t actually KNOW the religion :unamused: can’t blame them though because we’re all victims of the same thing.

on one side you have people committing heinous crimes(that are entirely against Islamic teachings) to further their own political agendas. on the other, you have a system that’s intent on skewing public perception of Islam. I mean it’s really interesting to me how in other countries and religions, only the criminals get blamed for their crimes and not the religion…but as we all know when a muslim commits a crime it’s labelled as islamic terrorism. as if the criminal is acting for the entire muslim population.

I guess that’s why I’m constantly being expected to be apologetic for the acts of people who have nothing to do with me and my beliefs. and of course if I don’t condemn them, I’m suddenly a supporter of ‘extremism’. If I DO condemn them that confirms the idea that they ARE acting on my behalf…what to do??

Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world and many ppl think it’s going to be number 1…that’s probably the reason for all this insanity. I just wish ppl would come to realise that no matter what relgion you follow, at the end of the day the aim is the same - to be good, and decent and kind etc etc. there are no religions that preach hate. only people!

and now I’ll get off my soapbox! enjoy your break everyone - I’m sure glad to have this week off! :slight_smile:
[/color]