Pro-PRC protesters at Taipei 101--gone?

I went to the Taipei 101 the other day, and lo and behold, the group that usually waves PRC flags and sings patriotic songs over their megaphones out front, wasn’t there. I don’t think the Falungong was either. Did they all get kicked out (perhaps because of complaints over the Communist group’s tendency to beat people up), or do they just not come out when it’s cold and rainy? Anybody run into them recently?

They were all there about 10 days ago when I was last in the area.

I imagine the new mayor might be contributing to this if they are indeed gone.

^He did. Ko pressured the director general of that district.

How do you know?

Ko said that if any more Falun Gong protesters are beat up, he’s swapping out the police director in Xinyi. This could be a result of that.

Seriously, about time. That was really anti-esthetic. Freedom of speech and all that jazz but really, a bit too much out of place. And don’t even start of the confrontations…

I can think of much better suitable venues… :smiling_imp:

Now if we can just get rid of all the other 共匪 riff-raff I can do my weekly shop in peace.

How do you know?[/quote]
I think it was on the news, anyway I read it on PTT :laughing: .

[quote=“Icon”]

Seriously, about time. That was really anti-esthetic. Freedom of speech and all that jazz but really, a bit too much out of place. [/quote]

So do you or do you not respect freedom of speech?

[quote=“hsinhai78”][quote=“Icon”]

Seriously, about time. That was really anti-esthetic. Freedom of speech and all that jazz but really, a bit too much out of place. [/quote]

So do you or do you not respect freedom of speech?[/quote]

I don’t know about Icon, but I certainly don’t support allowing (mainland) Chinese citizens to protest while deporting other foreign citizens for doing the same thing. You can argue that they’re ROC nationals without household registration, but I would argue back that in almost every case it’s relevant, including trade and many immigration statistics, (mainland) Chinese are put firmly in the foreign national category.

[quote=“hsinhai78”][quote=“Icon”]

They were verbally - and in some cases physically - assaulting peaceful people. That goes beyond the ambit of freedom of speech.

[quote=“BigJohn”]
They were verbally - and in some cases physically - assaulting peaceful people. That goes beyond the ambit of freedom of speech.[/quote]
This.

[quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“hsinhai78”][quote=“Icon”]

They were verbally - and in some cases physically - assaulting peaceful people. That goes beyond the ambit of freedom of speech.[/quote]

They were verbally assaulting people? What in god’s name is verbal assault?

And were not an awful lot of you people apologetic of student protesters throwing shoes at Ma Yingjiu ? Double standards for sure.

Any criminal offence comitted during a protest should be investigated and prosecuted. Regardless of whether the perpetrators are PRC flag waving bullies or shoe throwing students activists.

Anything else is ridiculous. Freedom of assemble should not depend on political leaning - unless of course some people here want to do what they allege the KMT has been doing for a long time.

@Hokwongwei: certain constitutional rights cannot be stripped of nationals regardless of household registration. Anything else, i.e. the situations you’ve mentioned are in the Act Governing Relations between the People of the Taiwan and Mainland Areas.

[quote=“hsinhai78”]

They were verbally assaulting people? What in god’s name is verbal assault? And were not an awful lot of you people apologetic of student protesters throwing shoes at Ma Yingjiu ? Double standards for sure.[/quote]

Can you find one example of anyone on this thread supporting people throwing shoes at Ma? If not, then you need to retract the claim that “you people” (What does that mean anyway? Foreigners? Are you a racist?) have shown a double standard.

[quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“hsinhai78”]

They were verbally assaulting people? What in god’s name is verbal assault? And were not an awful lot of you people apologetic of student protesters throwing shoes at Ma Yingjiu ? Double standards for sure.[/quote]

Can you find one example of anyone on this thread supporting people throwing shoes at Ma? If not, then you need to retract the claim that “you people” (What does that mean anyway? Foreigners? Are you a racist?) have shown a double standard.[/quote]

[quote=“hansioux”]

Chen threw a shoe at a mayor who promised not to tear down poor farmer’s houses, but then went on to do so when no one was looking. Forced at least 3 people to commit suicide, while his own family house in the same development area is untouched. The same mayor also wanted to build a needless expressway right through the last healthy habitat of Taiwan’s leopard cats. I’d say that’s a shoe well thrown. Chen is running for legislative position because that same ex-mayor is running for the same position.[/quote]

Took me a minute to find this one on Forumosa. It shouldn’t be hard to find a statement apologetic about students throwing shoes at President Ma.

[quote=“hsinhai78”][quote=“BigJohn”][quote=“hsinhai78”][quote=“Icon”]

They were verbally assaulting people? What in god’s name is verbal assault? [/quote]

I assume they mean verbal harassment which is a crime, and public insult which is a crime, and threats of physical violence which is a crime. Infringement of liberty is also a crime and can be added to the list.

[quote]And were not an awful lot of you people apologetic of student protesters throwing shoes at Ma Yingjiu ? Double standards for sure.
[/quote]

Apples and oranges. Ma was embarrassed by the shoe incident. Some FG were harassed into silence.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sh … _incidents
As if Chen is some cutting-edge trend starter, lol.

Btw, Chen’s shoe-throwing incidents have been prosecuted, while those pro-commie protestors’ violence hasn’t. The police and the prosecutors office are the ones applying double standards(not that it’s some kind of brand new information, though, everybody knows how corrupted they are), not the posters here.

Well, such as…
You’re such a pathetic motherfucker!
What a fugly skank whore!

etc.
There, I guess that’s called verbally assault. It seems like a pretty obvious and simple concept to me.

[quote=“hsinhai78”]

[quote=“hansioux”]

Chen threw a shoe at a mayor who promised not to tear down poor farmer’s houses, but then went on to do so when no one was looking. Forced at least 3 people to commit suicide, while his own family house in the same development area is untouched. The same mayor also wanted to build a needless expressway right through the last healthy habitat of Taiwan’s leopard cats. I’d say that’s a shoe well thrown. Chen is running for legislative position because that same ex-mayor is running for the same position.[/quote]

Took me a minute to find this one on Forumosa. It shouldn’t be hard to find a statement apologetic about students throwing shoes at President Ma.[/quote]

Then do so. You are the one who asserted that people here were saying that. So prove it. And I said “on this thread”. BTW, what did you mean “you people”?
Plus, hansioux is hardly praising Chen, or supporting him, just explaining his anger.

Why would “Taiwanese” be so angry at Falun Dafa? What have they done to Taiwan?

Anyway hsinhai, the point here is not “pro-China speech”. The point here is of an organized group (of which one board member is “the White Wolf”) intimidating people into being afraid to speak.

Big John, I am completely sympathetic to students throwing shoes. I don’t encourage it, understand that those who do this will likely be charged, or but I am sympathetic for sure. I would not imagine I am the only one so you probably should stop this.

The president is just a man, so as long as the shoe is not meant to hurt, maim, or injure him in any way, then its just a bit of public theatre.