Pro-Unification

Well, not everyone for every issue. Some debates were judged to a miniscule jury of some 1000 individuals.

All nations target each other’s interests. Heck, the US created modern Japan, let it rule itself, and now the two nations are engaged in bitter trade disputes. China just will not let go, even at a cost to itself in the short run because it feels that in the long run it knows what is best for its rebellious teenager child. It’s the Chinese parent syndrome. Do my metaphores confound the issue or clarify it? :help:

I think Japan and the United States are quite happy with the level of control they exert over Taiwan. Now, a post-reunification Taiwan may see some very ugly removal of that control piece by piece, which would make a lot of people very unhappy.

Given how things are going here in Taiwan, it may be time to revive this thread.

According to a New York Times report, we now have a Buddhist temple in Ershui that has evicted nuns and raised PRC flags to see who salutes:

After taking over the property and evicting the four nuns who lived there, Wei Ming-jen, a Taiwan native hired to build an addition to the century-old building, set out to convert Biyun Temple into something likely never before seen on this island: an extravagant shrine to China’s Communist Party.

Gone are the Buddhist ritual drums and traditional Chinese calligraphy scrolls. Instead, Communist Party symbols, propaganda posters and portraits of party leaders like Mao Zedong and Zhou Enlai now adorn the century-old temple tucked into a hillside in Ershui, in central Taiwan.

The NYT “dispatch from Taiwan” about this “temple” needs to be read to be believed:

Has anyone visited this place?

Guy

That’s fascinating. I predict the place is going to be a victim of extreme vandalism sometime in the near future.

1 Like

If this happens, I imagine that’s just the way the agents provacateur want it. Then they can play the role of misunderstood victims while yelling at public authorities and causing distractions and chaos. Repeat as needed.

Meanwhile, according to the NYT report, local residents appear to be pretty pissed that they’ve lost their community temple.

Guy

Yeah, I’m sure that’s the way they planned it. Any incidents will be tasty fodder for the PRC propaganda machine.

Looks very similar to the folks I encountered outside of 101.
They always make sure to videotape their daily activities and upload them to the internet , supposedly because they get paid per day !

The news has reached “down there” as well.

1 Like

Which is going to be demolished after the holidays. Illegal structures, glass ceilings and all that jazz.

Wow. Do you have a link on that?

Guy

From our lovely pals from Taiwan News.

3 Likes

I remember reading about this months ago. If the part about him committing fraud is true then major compensation or some prison time seems appropriate.

I hope those evicted nuns will be OK. What a disgrace!

Guy

This should be in the “K-mans finest hour”, but well, it’s in this article.

…the illegal occupation of the ancient Biyun Chan Temple…

[Definition of ancient: belonging to the very distant past and no longer in existence]

The temple was constructed in 1922…

2 Likes

One man’s ancient is another man’s news. :whale:

3 Likes

It would make a passable comedy parody of ‘the flowers of war’ with a dash of zhang yimou ‘to live’

Anything pre-internet is ancient.

Wish they would take such swift actions on the thousands of illegal factories built on farmland.

2 Likes

I don’t think their actions here have been “swift.” It seems that the detailed NYT’s piece on this sham “temple” has finally shamed them to act. So the lesson is that if you want the illegal factories shut down, you’ll need to get a major international news outlet to publish a sensation story on this topic, which will then embarrass the local government to state that they will take action—well, at least for now.

Guy

3 Likes