Problem returning NYC Costco's laptop from to Taipei Costco

I got my wife from mom and pop … so I won’t be able to return her? Is that what you’re saying … :s Ok, she’s out of the box … now what?

I got my wife from mom and pop … so I won’t be able to return her? Is that what you’re saying … :s Ok, she’s out of the box … now what?[/quote]

How much usage?

I got my wife from mom and pop … so I won’t be able to return her? Is that what you’re saying … :s Ok, she’s out of the box … now what?[/quote]

How much usage?[/quote]

New or used? (factory-sealed box or store demo) :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I guess she is out of warranty … :wink:

time to trade-in? :smiley:

Not true, time period is perhaps shorter than the US, but refunds for change of mind and faulty goods are both given here.[/quote]

I retuend some spray paints to B and Q cause it was the wrong kind (it was enamel, not lacquer) and they took it back, even though one of the cans has been opened. Just go on about how it’s defective or didnt smell right and stuff like that…

note this does NOT work in any mom and pop outfit if you ever buy something and have buyer’s remorse (even if its new in box and not opened)! So if you want return buy it from a large outlet.[/quote]

Yeah I returned a garden hose spray gun, broken, and told them it was rubbish. They asked if I had broken it and I said yes, but only doing with it what it was designed for. They gave me the cash. Then I went a bought a metal one. So fair enough. To the best of my knowledge B&Q is a British JV.

Because Costco Taiwan has a 30 day return policy. It would have been nice if the manager would have called for you, but other than that it sounds like a job well done for Costco.

I’m surprised that you’d be surprised. This aint Amerika. I was happy to find out Costco Taiwan had a 30 day return policy. I think the mandatory return here in Taiwan is 7 days.

I worked at Best Buy in the US and while I knew a lot about the different policies, I knew more than some of the managers did. And even if managers did know the policy (on returns) some of them would sometimes send people away because it messed up there “numbers” (somehow.)

B&Q also has a 30-day no-questions-asked return policy.

I am a little but surprised no one has mentioned this yet.

Having visited Costcos both here in Taiwan and in North America, there is great deal of similarity…but they are not exactly the same.

IF the product bought in the US is available exactly in the Taiwan, then I can understand a valid complaint in not getting help here.

However, considering the product most likely isn’t even available here (think US version vs Taiwan version) then honoring a return here puts the local store in Taiwan in a difficult position: WTF are THEY going to do with it?

I personally feel that them helping your friend out has been a goodwill gesture, and not really a matter of policy, irrespective what the sign says. Sure, the store here can send that laptop back to the US and into the returns system there, but just guessing here, I reckon there will be SO much paperwork involved, it’s going to be a REAL hassle for whoever touches it here, AND at the other end. Costco here don’t deal with normal Credit Cards AFAIK, so this is a real messy one. Income in one country by AMEX, refund by cash in another…wow.
I would have thought it would be reasonable for the store here to take the machine and courier it to the branch it was from, and once recieved, THAT branch could have refunded the AMEX. To get cash is surprising, but I guess that 1200nt per yeah covers returns ‘insurance’…he he.

I’ve always been fascinated with the US approach to returns. It’s so open to abuse, it’s ridiculous. But I have seen a few bad tempered Americans ranting at ‘American’ stores (such as but not limited to McDonalds) I wondered if they realised they are in a different COUNTRY after all.

Anyway, good result for your friend. I’d expect that sign to be changed ASAP to reflect ‘identical product’.

It doesn’t really work that way, though. You can buy thousands of things at Costco.com that are not available in their store. If you’re unhappy with it for any reason, you can return it to one of their local stores. I had a friend return a broken espresso maker that he purchased online. They don’t stock that brand in their stores but they happily took the return.

Of course, he was returning it to the store across the street from corporate HQ, so maybe they’re a lot less likely to piss somebody off there because they don’t want you raiding HQ when you’re upset.

It doesn’t really work that way, though. You can buy thousands of things at Costco.com that are not available in their store. [/quote]

[quote]Shipping Information
Currently, costco.com offers shipping in the United States only. We do not currently deliver to PO boxes, APO (military) boxes, FPO (foreign) boxes, international addresses, or a few limited geographic areas within the U.S.[/quote]
costco.com/Service/FeaturePa … o=10166074

[quote=“Truant”][quote=“mrjared”]

[quote]Shipping Information
Currently, costco.com offers shipping in the United States only. We do not currently deliver to PO boxes, APO (military) boxes, FPO (foreign) boxes, international addresses, or a few limited geographic areas within the U.S. [/quote]
costco.com/Service/FeaturePa … o=10166074[/quote]

[Link removed]

Scroll to the bottom and you’ll see the following:

Costco.com products can be returned to any of our
more than 400 Costco warehouses worldwide.”

:slight_smile:

I hate links that strech the page.