Looks like it was my mistake. I got it to work by trying what you said Matthew
[quote]Go to ‘Advanced’ tab in ‘Regional and Language Options’ and chose chinese(Taiwan) in ‘Language for non-unicode programs’. That should let programs, other than office and explorer, display Chinese
I know I did try that before, but maybe I changed it back to English again before I restarted or something, because it didn’t work then, but when I tried again now and restarted it worked. Now I can use Telnet in Chinese (well my wife can) and managed to install her Boshiamy Chinese input program, which wouldn’t run before, so all is sweet.
Well nearly all. Nero doesn’t want to reinstall, which is a real bugger. it thinks it’s still there, but it’s not. Back to work.