Problems since the earthquake

Anyone else having difficulties in the last week or so?

Most of my mail goes via Hong Kong, and things have been a bit flakey since the undersea quake last week. Very slow, dropped connections when sending big files, etc.

Another server, which I don’t use as much anymore, has been unreachable for a week. Nightmare. They owe me money and nobody can access the information!!

How long will this last?

[quote=“tmwc”]Anyone else having difficulties in the last week or so?

Most of my mail goes via Hong Kong, and things have been a bit flakey since the undersea quake last week. Very slow, dropped connections when sending big files, etc.

Another server, which I don’t use as much anymore, has been unreachable for a week. Nightmare. They owe me money and nobody can access the information!!

How long will this last?[/quote]
A couple of weeks they say. See the Earthquakes 2006 thread for more details.

Likely longer for full normal (i.e. before earthquake) services. This thing has really punched holes in my company’s disaster recovery and business continuity plans. It’s back to the drawing board.

One of my vendors said that the last time this thing happened, it took Taiwan 3 months to get back to normal. I’d guess the carriers learned something from that and will say 4-6 weeks for normalcy this time around. Ironically, it was the connection between TW and HK that was hit the worst.

Today I was upgraded from 2Mb to 10Mb, and my overseas download rates dropped from 2Mb to 50kbps. To some sites in Taiwan I get around 10Mb, which suggests it’s my problem, but I didn’t notice any problems before the upgrade. Upload is a bit better but still bad for 10Mb. What rates are others getting ?

The one I did there is at dslreports.com/stest

These give good (but meaningless) results for me: speed.anet.net.tw/

Matthew, that’s an interesting. Exactly on December 26 in the A.M. I was linked up for the first time to Chunghwa Telecom with their 8M/640K fast dsl service. Amazingly that same day the earthquake hit. As I’ve posted in another message (slow Hinet DSL), my d/l rates are awful. While I should get about 400 KB/s to 600 KB/s, I get anywhere from 2.2 to 20 KB/s for most things. On the rare occasion I’ll get 500, but it’ll happen only once. Right now Bit Torrent client is the worst for me, I usually get about 10 KB/s for all files, and my upload is always faster. Weird thing is my friend who lives just an MRT station away has simultaneously tried to d/l the exact files from the same links as me, and files that take them 2 minutes takes me about 40 minutes (i.e. a 35 MB file). They got ~500 KB/s rate and I got 8 ~ 15 KB/s. So I wonder if it’s really the int’l cables or something else. Anyhow these extremely slow d/l rates are aggravating.

I guess the undersea cables are fixed … internet speeds to Europe have slowed down to pre-quake speeds …
Unbelievable … after the re-routing through the US speeds were better than now …

That’s a US server …

To the Netherlands …

Mind you, I’m on a 8M connection

Try here - thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html it’s a UK based service

To London …

Another one to the Netherlands …

Hinet calls this broadband ADSL … fixed IP … the result are kb not Kb …

seems to be ok now

You mean kbit, not kbyte I presume?
The problem is that it’s very intermittent.
Sometimes it goes really fast and other times it grinds to a complete halt.
I have the same problem at work, but I’m not sure what kind of connection we’ve got here, but it ain’t all that fast

I have the same problem, sometimes it is OK and sometimes it is down to 100 k bit/sec.
For me it seems I loose contact with the DNS servers. If I do an ‘nslookup’ it times out although I can ping an IP number directly.

Yeah, that’s what seems to happen to me too, it’s like the DNS server drops out every so often

After complaining my speeds just doubled …

and pings halved …

Mine has been crap again for most of the evening and the DNS servers were gone for about 20 minutes at around 11pm.

Now this is interesting …

country stats asia

regional taiwan stats

taipei city stats