Problems teaching reading to adults

hi, I was wondering if you lot could give me some advice on how to teach reading to adults (intermediate-advanced),

I seem to run into the same problems when I teach reading. I’ve been trying to make teaching reading communicative by getting my students into pairs, making them read different passages, then making them ask each other a prepared list of questions about the text they read.

The problem is whenever we do this, they sometimes spend too long trying to understand the text and they get bogged down in trying to understand each word. I’ve been trying to teach them how to shift through passages to get to the most important information.

1. Can anyone tell me where I could be going wrong?

2. Also what’s the best way to correct them if they get the reading comprehension questions wrong? It seems like my classes end up being very teacher-centred with me going on and on explaining the text. And the ones that did get the answers right start to get bored.

3. How should I teach the vocabulary that they might not know? Someone told me about a “wholistic approach” to language learning that’s opposed to teaching words in isolation but that reccomends teaching words in a phrase/context. Does anyone know more about this?

Should I always go through each word that they might have problems with, before they read? I usually have the definitions of the words at the bottom so they can find out the meaning themselves (but I still end up having to explain).

1. Should I read the text together with them? But then that would defeat the object as I’m trying to get them to learn how to just find the neccessary information. Plus just reading is something they could do at home by themselves.

2. I suppose my main question is how do I make teaching reading fun, communicative and student-centred?

Would appreciate any thoughts!!!

I’m no expert when it comes to teaching reading skills to Taiwanese students, I also find it extremely difficult.

In terms of your third point about vocabulary I usually give all the students the same reading passage. I then give them a very short time to skim read the text and decide what its theme is. After that they individually read it in detail and underline any words they don’t know (absolutely no electronic dictionaries allowed at this stage!). I then put them into groups of three to discuss the words they don’t know and see if together they can work out the meaning through context.

After this we discuss as a class the difficult vocabulary. The weaker students usually pull out their electronic dictionaries at this stage. If it helps boost their confidence then I don’t have that much of a problem with it.

Then the students individually answer some comprehension questions before comparing answers in pairs and then discussing them as a class.

Finally I try to open up a discussion around the reading text. Obviously this involves using a text that can provoke some kind of a debate. I have to admit that these debates don’t usually go on for too long, and I usually end up raising most of the questions.

I don’t usually pre-teach vocabulary for reading activities, but I always do before listening activities to boost confidence.

I attended an excellent workshop at TAS by Dr. Nancy Updegraff on teaching vocabulary effectively. I’ve adapted some of her strategies and what she presented.

One exercise I have done with students is to teach them first there are five levels of vocabulary knowledge - words they have never seen before, words they have seen but don’t know, words they had an idea of the meaning, words they know the meaning of, and finally words they use regularly.

I had them first mark all the words they didn’t know (words below levels 4 and 5). Then I had them label the words that were 1’s and 2’s for them. Then I asked them to count how often they saw those words.

The ones that came up often, I told them, were the ones they needed to look up in a dictionary to be sure of the meaning because they must have been very important key words to understand the article. Then I had them work out what part of speech the other 1 and 2 level words were and see if they could leave them out of the sentence and still understand the meaning (I like to use the word “banana” to substitute for unknown words, but let your students decide what nonsense word works for them). If they can’t, then they can work out the context clues from the words in the sentence, words in other sentences, diagrams and illustrations, etc. Have students compare their guessed meanings.

This teaches them strategies for deciding which words are the ones they need the dictionary for and which ones they can conjecture the meanings of. It takes practice to get them to do this process independently and even more to get them to assess the words automatically, but it’s a skill that any good reader, regardless of vocabulary knowledge, does.

That’s actually a great idea. Just the other day, I was procastinating about coming up with a rating system for vocab. That’s perfect. I was thinking 3 levels, but 5 is better. I bagsy that.

Thanks ImaniOU.

No prob, boo boo. :slight_smile:

Updegraff originally proposed 4, but I suggested to her that there were really five. I mean, I know that incorrigible means not able to be corrected or fixed, and was something that my friend used to call me all the time, but I never use that word in my speech. And the goal is to get students to not just know the words, but to use them. Thus, my proposed 5th level.

Good luck with teaching them about choosing which words need looking up. My first time doing this lesson, one student included the name of a person in the article as her most frequent level one word.

:doh:

[quote=“TaidongRudeboy”]hi, I was wondering if you lot could give me some advice on how to teach reading to adults (intermediate-advanced),

I seem to run into the same problems when I teach reading. I’ve been trying to make teaching reading communicative by getting my students into pairs, making them read different passages, then making them ask each other a prepared list of questions about the text they read.

The problem is whenever we do this, they sometimes spend too long trying to understand the text and they get bogged down in trying to understand each word. I’ve been trying to teach them how to shift through passages to get to the most important information.

1. Can anyone tell me where I could be going wrong?

2. Also what’s the best way to correct them if they get the reading comprehension questions wrong? It seems like my classes end up being very teacher-centred with me going on and on explaining the text. And the ones that did get the answers right start to get bored.[/quote]It’s a bit difficult to comment without more details on the exact situation but as you mentioned trying to make teaching communicative, it might be worth saying something about that.

I firmly agree with Bill VanPatten and James Lee that a lot of so-called communicative language teaching is not really communicative at all. One example is the kind of pseudo-communicative drills found in the “practice” section of many textbooks. Another example could be reading comprehension questions. This isn’t to say that the latter don’t have value, but just that most such questions aren’t really communication in and of themselves.

Real communication occurs when a need for communication is created; when people share meaningful information, opinions, and ideas. There are several ways to incorporate real student to student communication into a reading class. A simple way is information-gap style activities, where students each have different sets of information (for example different passages from a single text) and have to put them together in some way, or where each student has a passage with different factual errors and has to work together with others to arrive at the correct version. There are some good practical activities of this nature in Penny Ur’s “Discussions that Work”, amongst other books. But reading can also be a springboard for a much greater variety of interactive tasks, using such skills as classifying, prioritizing, persuading, etc.

I understand that you still need to work on students’ comprehension though. Firstly, regarding whether to pre-teach important unknown vocabulary, I’d say that where there’s a fair bit of unknown vocabulary in a passage, or where the particular new words need a fair bit of discussion for students to properly understand the meaning, that would be a good reason to pre-teach vocab.

Secondly, when words are first encountered in a rich, meaningful context, there’s the choice of whether to reach straight for the dictionary or to figure out the meaning from context. The old way was to go for the dictionary first, and the not-quite-so-old way was to try to avoid dictionaries and do as much figuring out from context as possible. However, current research suggests that a combination of guessing and dictionary use works best. Get students to guess at the meanings of unknown words first, using all the contextual information available to them. This gets them mentally involved with the words at least, and there’s a good chance they’ll arrive at the correct meaning or at least something like it. Trouble is, they often misunderstand things and if you leave it at that stage, they may well have a good firm mental imprint – of the wrong meaning. So it’s very useful to check things with a dictionary. I’d suggest a bilingualized dictionary – one which has definitions in both the target language and in the students’ native language. There are good reasons for this – read some of Paul Nation’s writing.

[quote=“ImaniOU”]
I had them first mark all the words they didn’t know (words below levels 4 and 5). Then I had them label the words that were 1’s and 2’s for them. Then I asked them to count how often they saw those words. [/quote]

This sounds like a great way of stripping down sentences to what the learner knows well or kind-of knows and working out just how much more they need to get a basic grasp on the whole meaning :notworthy: I’m going to try this out on my guinea pig/gf tonight.

Some excellent points about guessing the meaning of a new word first. Another good reason to have the Ss guess is that by making an error in definition (as, in my experience, contrary to Joe’s assertion, they will so do far more often than getting it right), they give themselves the opportunity to apply the tried and truest method of learning, trial and error, or, as my sweet, recently departed Nanny put it, the school of hard knocks. If they make a mistake, say for example, guessing that “ebony” as it refers to one’s hair means “curly”, and then, upon researching the word using lexicons, find its true meaning to be black, the Ss will, upon hearing the word a second time, even if much time has transpired between encounters, will stead themselves a far greater chance of “remembering” the original word. In fact, the local stigma surrounding mistakes as punishable offenses (the greatest bane to a Language ARTS coach) can be used to turn their direst weakness into their greatest strength. Using that “fear” to assist in remembering.

So yes, I encourage all my Ss to guess at meaning first and that the only unacceptable, or “wrong” answer to the guess is: “I don’t know.”

Additionally, the mere process of trying to guess, of dedicating that 30 seconds or so to pondering the meaning, begins to push the new word from the realm of short-term-memory-based “memorization” to the more long-term-memory-based “remembering”. It gives a practical, experiential component to the word as opposed to cramming it away into dusty, little used memory banks of their overtaxed hard drives.

I am going to strongly disagree with Mr. Sax on one point however, and that is the use of a bilingual dictionary. As anyone who speaks an L2 can tell you, true success and comfort with the use of their chosen, learned language only begins once the user learns to think in their target language, be it English, Japanese or Swahili. By employing bilingual dictionaries, the Ss are encouraging themselves to continue translating, which, imo, is anathema to true usage.

Might I humbly suggest that after the Ss guess, have them reach instead for Monsieur Roget. Not only can synonyms and antonyms highly increase the ability to grasp the true meaning of a word almost immediately, the Ss may also benefit from a veritable cornucopeia of new words introduced by the Thesaurus. Let’s look at our original vocab example: The student has already guessed that “ebony” means “curly”. If they were to look it up in a standard dictionary, sure, they may glean the concept of “black” from the definition, but more likely, beome increasingly addled over all the references to wood, cabinet making and piano keys. Likewise, using a C>E dictionary will most certainly give them the information they need by providing whatever the chinese character for “hei” is, but the likelihood of them remembering this the next time “ebony” crosses their plate is dramatically decreased due to the aforementioned placement of the data into the translated realm of STM. With www.thesaurus.com , they can immediately see that it means dark and black and that it’s antonym is white. Bang! Set firmly into LTM, nigh on immediately. As a bonus, words such as atramentous, pitch, obsidian and ivory, pale and wan will begin to worm their way back to the LTM. Thirdly, and most importantly, the Ss will have used English-only research tools, thereby taking them further down the road to “Thinking In EnglishTown”.

After using a thesaurus, now direct the Ss to the sister site, www.dictionary.com . Now, with the forearmed knowledge of “black” in their minds,the info about cabinetwork and piano keys and Asian trees with long latin names will begin to make more sense. All that remains is proper pronunciation. Many online dictionaries provide a bundled software program that turns their PCs into “pronunciation coaches”. By clicking on the little speaker icon, they can hear the word, repeat the word, hear it again, repeat it again and so on and so forth, until facial-muscle memory begins to kick in.

A final suggestion is to get them to start learning with their ears. Do not allow the Ss to read with their eyes only. By having them read everything aloud, the Ss begin to hear the language (or at least, the grammar) used properly, in their own tongues. The more they do this, the better off they will be in learning to hear and correct their own mistakes when it comes time to speak and write.

Hope this helps.

[quote=“Toe Save”]So yes, I encourage all my Ss to guess at meaning first and that the only unacceptable, or “wrong” answer to the guess is: “I don’t know.”

Additionally, the mere process of trying to guess, of dedicating that 30 seconds or so to pondering the meaning, begins to push the new word from the realm of short-term-memory-based “memorization” to the more long-term-memory-based “remembering”. It gives a practical, experiential component to the word as opposed to cramming it away into dusty, little used memory banks of their overtaxed hard drives.[/quote]Right.

[quote=“Toe Save”]Some excellent points about guessing the meaning of a new word first. Another good reason to have the Ss guess is that by making an error in definition (as, in my experience, contrary to Joe’s assertion, they will so do far more often than getting it right), they give themselves the opportunity to apply the tried and truest method of learning, trial and error, or, as my sweet, recently departed Nanny put it, the school of hard knocks. If they make a mistake, say for example, guessing that “ebony” as it refers to one’s hair means “curly”, and then, upon researching the word using lexicons, find its true meaning to be black, the Ss will, upon hearing the word a second time, even if much time has transpired between encounters, will stead themselves a far greater chance of “remembering” the original word. In fact, the local stigma surrounding mistakes as punishable offenses (the greatest bane to a Language ARTS coach) can be used to turn their direst weakness into their greatest strength. Using that “fear” to assist in remembering.[/quote]There’s a fair bit of research showing the likelihood of wrong guesses and the strong possibility of “anchoring” onto the first, incorrect definition, thus slowing down vocabulary learning. If anyone actually wants to read academic articles about that stuff, I’ll be happy to post links, though it will take me a little while to dig them out.

The research seems to indicate that the most efficient method of vocab learning from rich contexts is a combination of guessing first and then checking.

[quote=“Toe Save”]I am going to strongly disagree with Mr. Sax on one point however, and that is the use of a bilingual dictionary. As anyone who speaks an L2 can tell you, true success and comfort with the use of their chosen, learned language only begins once the user learns to think in their target language, be it English, Japanese or Swahili. By employing bilingual dictionaries, the Ss are encouraging themselves to continue translating, which, imo, is anathema to true usage.[/quote]This was the orthodox viewpoint in ELT during the 1990’s, and it’s still very prevalent now. Recent research in various areas suggests, however, that there is more of a place for some kinds of translation than was previously thought. Again, I’ve got a few links to articles though I’ll only take the time to dig them out if anyone is actually going to read them.

Anyway, I did say “bilingualized”, not “bilingual”.

The thesaurus idea is a good one, but in accord with the research of Joe Barcroft and others, I’d suggest that such “semantic elaboration” work be left to a second stage, after initial binding of the particular vocabulary item has occurred. (Very briefly, research suggests that what works best is first to bind single, unelaborated word meanings, as too-early learning of complex semantic connections can slow things down).

Joe, I would love to read these articles you mention. No hurry though mate. I ain’t going anywhere. At least, not unti my next banning. :slight_smile:

You make an excellent point of associating the wrong guess with the a false perception of the truth. That’s why I have them journal their new words. So they can compare the guess with the actual meaning.

I would love to see the recent theories on the use of translation technique, but it will take a lot of sound research to convince me that it can be effective. There are so many different grammar rules that translation exponentially increases the thought process on matters such as gender, plurality, adjective order and verb conjugation suffer.

Looking forward to the articles, I must say.

OK, for now I’m just posting mostly just links to save time. Not very user-friendly I know, but well worth wading through.

Free to general public:
www-writing.berkeley.edu/TESL-EJ/ej26/a4.html
asian-efl-journal.com/june_2003_PN.php
englishaustralia.com.au/ea_c … binson.pdf
asian-efl-journal.com/September_05_pn.php
nflrc.hawaii.edu/RFL/April2003/rott/rott.html
nflrc.hawaii.edu/rfl/April2005/hunt/hunt.html
nflrc.hawaii.edu/RFL/October2005/rott/rott.html
www1.harenet.ne.jp/~waring/papers/Sys2_97.html

Here are titles of some subscription/individual purchase articles, which may be available through local university library computer networks:
Joe Barcroft: Second Language Vocabulary Acquisition: A Lexical Input Processing Approach (Foreign Language Annals)
Vivian Cook: Using the First Language in the Classroom (Canadian Modern Language Review)
Hulstijn, Hollander, Greidanus: Incidental Vocabulary Learning by Advanced Foreign Language Students: The Influence of Marginal Glosses, Dictionary Use, and Reoccurrence of Unknown Words (Modern Language Journal)
Stuart Webb: Learning word pairs and glossed sentences: the effects of a single context on vocabulary knowledge (Language Teaching Research)

Thanks Mango.

[quote=“Toe Save”]Thanks Mango.[/quote]You’re welcome.

Mango? Is that something to do with the location in my profile?

Nope…just me being cooler than cool.