Problems with Internet Explorer (I think)

What’s going on?

While I’m using Internet Explorer, after having opened a website, I can’t view new pages from that website; for example, instructions or pictures.

I thought I might have required a new update or something, so went into the Windows Update page: it appears I’m having some problems downloading stuff from this page (I’ll know pretty soon and post an update), but I can’t even view the instructions page that relates to it.

Also, when I’m opening a few pages, I can’t remain on just one page (it “bounces” to whatever page is opening, instead of staying on the page that has priority).

Does anyone know what’s going on? I’ll update this post as I find something new…
Regards,

Babou

I’ve got something similar going on. My IE (5.0) keeps prompting me to install visual basic scripting - but only since yesterday. Any mention of visual basic scripting gives me the creeps because it looks like paradise for viruses. I also tried several times to install Japanese language support when prompted to do so when visiting Japanese web sites, but the download failed. Does this sound similar to what you’re getting, Big Babou?

I don’t think so, Juba. It’s as if my IE won’t cooperate with me. There’s no prompts (messages) to explain what’s going on. It’s basically that I can’t open the links from within a website.

Also, the pages that I open won’t stay fixed. I’m not sure how to explain this, except that if I have 4 pages open, the page that is opening will take priority over the others (which means I can’t really look at other pages while another is opening).

But, I think I’ve just managed to successfully download some updates, even though they appear to be unrelated to the current problem… At least one thing is functioning.

Babou

Ever tried Mozilla or Opera? IE has a few very strange bugs like: If a website “cannot be displayed”, this could very well be the pure responsibility of IE. A colleague had ADSL, but only download speeds of a few hundred bytes (with IE). After installing Netscape (the only browser we found on a CD, trying to download one through IE was somehow useless), he suddenly experienced the “real” speed.
I noticed the same phenomenon on other computers with several browsers installed. I don’t know why IE does that and how to fix it within IE, but if you encounter a similar problem, it could be time to switch to another browser.
I was Netscape user before and am very happy with Mozilla now…

Olaf,

I just installed Mozilla, and I can now open hyperlinks. This seems pretty good. Thanks.

However, I still have the problem of not being able to control the pages that I’ve opened. Priority keeps going to any page that is downloading information, which is a real pain in the arse if you’re trying to read something on another page…

Can anyone help with this problem?

Also, Olaf, what plug-ins and other downloads should I now look for? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Babou.

quote[quote]However, I still have the problem of not being able to control the pages that I've opened. Priority keeps going to any page that is downloading information, which is a real pain in the arse if you're trying to read something on another page...[/quote] Easy thing with Mozilla, it provides much more options than you might expect at the first glance... Unfortunately, the computer I'm using at the moment has only IE, so I can't check the exact locations and words for the entries you need: Go to the preferences and look under "Navigator" or "Navigation", there must be an item "open (or load) links in background". Check it. After this is enabled, you can right click on a link and choose "open in new tab" and although the page is built up in the other tab, you will stay in this one and can read on. I guess you will also like this one: There is a number of entries (probably under "Advanced") allowing a website to open, close, resize or relocate a window. Uncheck most of them and you get rid of all those annoying popups blocking your view to the page you are interested in.

quote[quote]Also, Olaf, what plug-ins and other downloads should I now look for? Any help would be appreciated.[/quote]
As a kind of last resort in the browser war, Netscape had published the source code for their navigator a few years ago, hoping the open source community would help to improve it. Well, the community did, but it took a while because a lot of code had to be rewritten completely. Netscape (now part of AOL) may and does use that work in its browser, so since Netscape 6.0 the core is basically the same as with Mozilla. But since Netscape needs some time to add its own stuff (AOL,…), the newer versions are found directly in Mozilla.
But still, Mozilla and Netscape are the same inside and so Mozilla can use most of Netscapes plug-ins. There should be some more detailled information on Mozilla’s website, if you want to dive deeper into this…