Problems with my bosses

Hello again

Guess everyone agrees then. Glad I’m not being a whiny foreigner.

About the ARC I’m still waiting for it. Whether they have applied or not I am starting to wonder. It shouldn’t be taking this long right? About a month now and counting. I have a student visa that I extend through studying but they know I don’t like the idea of working illegaly. They deduct tax and I’ve paid for the health exam and the processing costs so…

Thanks for the offer. I’m in Taichung. Sounds great though.

The funny thing is I took this school over another one because of the foreign element involved. I felt it would cut down on the misunderstandings and miscommunication that I’ve heard too much about.

Thanks again

[quote=“silencepleasei’mworking”]Hello again

Guess everyone agrees then. Glad I’m not being a whiny foreigner.

About the ARC I’m still waiting for it. Whether they have applied or not I am starting to wonder. It shouldn’t be taking this long right? About a month now and counting. I have a student visa that I extend through studying but they know I don’t like the idea of working illegaly. They deduct tax and I’ve paid for the health exam and the processing costs so…

Thanks for the offer. I’m in Taichung (Taizhong). Sounds great though.

The funny thing is I took this school over another one because of the foreign element involved. I felt it would cut down on the misunderstandings and miscommunication that I’ve heard too much about.

Thanks again[/quote]

They cannot charge you neither health insurance nor tax because you are not working for them legally. You can kiss what ever you have been paying in tax goodbye because even if you get a legal work permit and can file for a tax refund what you are paying now without a w.p. is certainly not going to the tax bureau.

It can take a month to process an ARC, especially a new one, ask them what step they are on for the application. If they haven’t sent your diplomas, health certificates, applications in yet, then again, they are messing around with you.

Sounds to me like you’re getting a pretty raw deal.

Have they taken photocopies of your passport? Have you signed them? If not then there’s no application in process. I’m not sure (check the legal forum), but I believe you can’t change from study to work without a visa run. If I’m right then you should have done a visa run by now.

Where is your passport anyway?

Taxes CAN be deducted and paid for someone working illegally. I’ve done work for schools that didn’t provide an ARC but did actually pay the tax. I’d forgotten about it, but the tax office had a record of it all the same. If you’ve been here less than six months you won’t get any of that tax money back from the government. The tax rate in that case would be 20% too.

Hmmm, Have they taken 20% out of your 520/hr? Despite what I said above I’ll bet you any money that they can’t provide a receipt to prove that the tax has been paid. Also, as far as I know, you can’t get health insurance through an employer until you’re working there legally. No work permit=no insurance=no need to pay.

I would tell them that you have been advised that you shouldn’t be paying tax because you’re working illegally, and you’re frightened of getting into trouble. This is a good reason to bring the subject up. Naturally, they will have the receipt to show that they did make the payments, or they’ll have some excuse. If the latter then you have grounds to terminate your contract without prejudice. Bollocks, you’re working illegally so there’s nothing to terminate.

I’m starting to actively dislike these people.

Me, I would enquire about my tax money, ask for it back, hand in my notice in the hope of getting that money refunded, call the CLA on payday to put extra pressure on them, take whatever I can get on the day, and run away.

They have no right to complain or penalise you if you’re quitting because they stole your tax money. In that case you have a reasonable right to demand every penny owed for every hour you have worked. And you’re within your rights to quit without notice. (These are not real rights. Your rights are whatever you can get away with.)

If you can pull it off you might make such a pain of yourself that they fire you. Go on strike until they give you back your tax/insurance money and demonstrate that they have started the work visa process. If they can’t do it then tell them that you’re filing an official complaint at the CLA, which has to be investigated and has the force of law even though you don’t need to get a lawyer. There’s an article about it at tealit somewhere.

Sit there and argue politely and reasonably, keep them distracted from everything else, refuse to do any work, don’t let them do any work, keep on asking for it until you get it. It’s not pleasant but it needn’t be dangerous.

Remember, you just want to be paid up to date so you can get on with the life they are depriving you of. That’s a reasonable ambition. There is no need to feel intimidated. You’re just asking for what you deserve, and you can ask for a ruling from the CLA which will be enforced after the school has been investigated. There’s no need for them to attract unwelcome attention, is there?

They will either cave in and pay you off - which happened to me when I had all this grief - or they will try and scare you off. There is nothing to be scared of except physical violence. Blacklisting, cancellation of visa, blah blah blah, it doesn’t matter in the slightest. And they can’t get away with beating you up, 'cos you have a lot of friends and they don’t want a visit from half a dozen big hairy forumosans before you go to the police.

Hey, who you calling hairy?

:wink:

Find a new job.

If you are an hourly worker, you only work the hours you are paid to work. Prep-time before and after class is only for those who are paid salary. If a school asks you to show up 30 minutes early but says they wont pay you - Dont work at that school.

I also don’t understand how the school you are now working for can take money for taxes. Legally, you can’t work 'till you get your ARC, so how can they take taxes from you if you shouldn’t be working in the first place? Submitting taxes for an illegal worker would be admitting that they are breaking the law. Sounds screwy to me.

Its interesting, but in the US, Walmart is being sued for having its employees work “off the clock”. Yet some bushibans in Taiwan see this as standard opperating procedure.

Don’t give them a letter outlining your grievances BEFORE pay day.
Get paid, and then just leave.
If you want to fight over the tax, again, wait until you have received your pay.
The tax is not going to the gov’t. The health insurance premiums are not going to the gov’t. You may be able to get this money back, but I wouldn’t count on it.
However, since you are working illegally, I don’t think you need to worry about them blacklisting you or causing problems with the gov’t, though they may threaten this. They are hiring you illegally, too, so they would get into more trouble than you would.

Everyone is right. Quit. Get a part-time job in a buxiban or anxinban thing for 600/hour and your work permit. I do three afternoons a week for mine. Easy. Then top up on privates at 800+.
You’ll get 60-80000 a month and lots of free time for your studies. There are probably some circumstances where people can’t quit crappy jobs they got into, but not many. No one deserves these crappy asian white slave ‘schools’! Not even anyone on this forum! Quit! Quit! Quit! No - dont even quit. Just work till payday then … ‘just like that… he was gone.’

grope the foreign boss, once he thinks U R gay he will try to get rid of U, quickkly pay U off so U won’;t grope him again or make a big stink about leaving, :laughing:

How did this all turn out?

I agree with this sound advice. Especially if there’s a foreign owner in the mix. He knows full well what he is making you do.

Now I am beginning to wonder where this place is.

I know it isn’t me, my wife doesn’t work with me (or at all :wink: ).

You wouldn’t be near ChingShui by any chance?

Study Chinese at Providence (Jing Yi) University?

Hello all

Sorry I haven’t been online much. I brought it up during one of his chats that I have a lot of work to do and would like to do it in peace and quiet though I was more subtle than that and they freaked. I got read the riot act for wanting to take the work off campus and was told that they needed to supervise me while working because of quality control. At that point I got my back up and pointed out that the Chinese staff make more errors in a single piece of homework than I have made in all the homework and tests I have marked yet. At that point the Chinese boss and her husband got really rude with me about my so-called attitude and how I should be nicer to people who provide me with a living. I was also told that I was being very ungrateful.

So I went home and went in the next day armed with a list of questions and requests such as when am I going to get the physical ARC, any payslips ect. When I started to ask they put up the wall again and was all of a sudden really nice to me telling me if the work was too much I should tell them and that I was more than welcome to take the work home. They didn’t know how I felt about this. When I pointed out that the previous day I told them and they basically said that they had to check my work as I was doing it they said I misunderstood.

I do not take kindly to being told I can’t understand not only broken English but English from a native speaker so I told them that I would like to give notice as the travel time was eating into my study time and they obviously need a teacher that they don’t have to check up on. This did not go down well either of course and the personalities from the previous day had returned.

I was told I was breaking contract and when I responded that contracts like that are illegal, that I was working illegally waiting for them to process paperwork that should have been finished by then, that I had triple the workload of any other teacher in the school and that they insulted me by saying I had to be checked up on when I have had to correct horrible errors in the teaching from the other teachers they went to the tried and true defence. I was fired on the spot.

Sounds incredible huh? I’ve been busy trying to get another job and trying to get my last month’s pay out of them. Now there has been talk of reporting me for working illegaly which when I pointed out that they employed me with the promise that I would be legal was rebuffed with the statement that they know people.

So I am just trying to get the whole sorry story behind me. I guess you really can’t believe what anybody says. The worst thing was that I wasn’t even allowed to say goodbye to the students. I was just told to leave. After all that time spent with those people and with the kids and I was just thrown away. Doesn’t seem fair but at least now I have more time for my studies and I know better.

Thanks again for all the advice.

The school is in one of the tiny little towns surrounding Taichung. More than that I don’t feel comfortable saying in a public forum.

You’re story is unfortunate in that now you’ll have a bad itch whenever you interview with people who SEEM nice at first.

Peace

ps: I’m sure it’s best that you’re out of there.

I would concur.

I doubt that they will report you because that means that they hired you for working illegally, too. They would get quite heavy fines, as well.

Of course you could always report them anonymously yourself, or tell a friend to do that!

Kenneth