Problems with new PC: Pls Help!

Just bought a new PC. Couple of problems I’ve encountered so far: the 2G cable connection is intermittent, and I have to restart the computer to re-establish a connection (at least, that is the way I’m getting to work. I’m far from being a computer buff, thus the request for help).

And two, when attempting to install MSN Messenger (6.2 or 7.0) the computer tells me ‘Error 1604’ has occurred, and rolls back the installation. I’ve installed Skype, Kazaa, Soulseek, Winamp and Bullguard with no problems.

What’s the deal? Your advice please…

[quote=“Dirt Merchant”]Just bought a new PC. Couple of problems I’ve encountered so far: the 2G cable connection is intermittent, and I have to restart the computer to re-establish a connection (at least, that is the way I’m getting to work. I’m far from being a computer buff, thus the request for help).

And two, when attempting to install MSN Messenger (6.2 or 7.0) the computer tells me ‘Error 1604’ has occurred, and rolls back the installation. I’ve installed Skype, Kazaa, Soulseek, Winamp and Bullguard with no problems.

What’s the deal? Your advice please…[/quote]

Maybe you should show your computer detail.
OS ?
ISP of ADSL?

But I guess those:

First, something get wrong, CHECK it first in the [Console Panel / Network connections]. Does the connection about ADSL is still enabled?

Secound, it is because MSN installed using MSI executive format. But your OS doesn’t support this, so just go to search ‘Windows Installer’ , download and install it. You will could install MSN.

Work on one problem at a time. I assume you’d like to tackle the Interent one first. My guess is that you’re just getting logged off for some reason (but it’s just a guess).

Check your DSL modem to make sure you don’t have any flashing Red lights and that the link light is green.

If everything looks good on the modem, make sure the line to the PC is ok. After that it’s PC trouble shooting time (check that stuff first).

If you have SONet, Seednet, TCC (or one of the others that is NOT Hinet), you might want to call them and see if they can help you out. Hinet should be able to help too, but I’ve met many people that seem to have a hard time getting good Tech Support out f them.

One of my roommates had a similar connection problem. Are you using a router, or straight into the cable modem? Is the computer part of a network, or the only PC in the place? We found with his it was because there was some sort of problem with the router and it wasn’t assigning a valid IP, so we turned off the automatic setting and assigned him a static IP.

But if you’re not on a network, that won’t help.

Sometimes it’s a matter of installing the applications in a certain order. Try uninstalling all that stuff first. Use a fresh OS and then install the following apps in this order:

1. Firewall
  2. Antivirus
  3. MS Windows update patches
  4. MSN Messenger (or any other messenger app like Yahoo, ICQ, MIRC, Trillian etc)

Test your internet connection

1. Then install the rest of your applications.

That’s an idea - are you using Norton Antivirus? It has a reputation for being… picky. That might be it.

Fellas, everything you’re suggesting sounds valid. But like I said I’m a gimp when it comes to this sorta stuff.

Gonna get the chap in who built the PC up. He’s clued up and I’m sure he’ll sort the problems out.

I’ll get back to y’all with his diagnosis, and follow-up treatment and remedies.

Cheers.

Well, he came in, sorted a couple of odds and ends on the pc, but nonetheless it still times out after five minutes or so. Even though it indicates it’s still connects.

No viruses, full LAN connection, no one hacking my connection.

What’s going on?

[quote=“Dirt Merchant”]Well, he came in, sorted a couple of odds and ends on the pc, but nonetheless it still times out after five minutes or so. Even though it indicates it’s still connects.

No viruses, full LAN connection, no one hacking my connection.

What’s going on?[/quote]

Once again as Miltown and tiebob mentioned, It’s important to categorize the issues that you’re having.
To do this, anyone who is not in front of the computer would need to know…

1. Computer Specifications(this you should get from the guy who sold you the computer as it will save you having to open the box and look for model/serial numbers when you have to find drivers for an update or re-install)

2. Operating System( Windows 98/ME/2000/xp, or Linux Redhat/Mandrake…)

3. Name of your Internet Service Provider

4. What other programs/processes are running when the problem occurs?

If you’re not sure as to how to figure things out on you own or feel intimidated, you can give me a ring and I’ll guide you through it step by step. 09 26 76 36 64

Thanks Nam, and the rest of y’all that gave words.

Got a complete ‘fundi’ in last night, he overwrote the OS we were given, replaced it with a basic system (XP).

Running :notworthy: .

Need a man to rig your gig? He’s the man!