Process for Re-Entering Taiwan on APRC with Exemption Approval

Hi.

1. I have an APRC and have been getting Exemption approvals for every year I have been away from Taiwan since 2017. I think I will return next year. (I already have exemption approval through 2023).

What is the process for getting back into the country? Would one normally just show up with a printout of that letter, the APRC card, and a Passport and get off the plane and be back in Taiwan, pretty as you please and no questions asked?

1. I have been issued a new passport since 2017, as my old US passport expired. I may or may not be able to put my hands on the old one.

What further process does this entail? I would like to prepare any paperwork I need well ahead of time, or have a good idea of what to expect anyway.

Can’t wait to get back to the promised land for a few years.

This is not legal advice.

AFAIK, since your APRC is valid, then you should be able to just simply show up with only your APRC and passport. You’re supposed to, though, update your APRC to reflect the new passport number.

I always err on the side of caution and bring all the paperwork, but don’t show unless asked.

To add to that, bring your expired/old passport if you can; most countries give them back during application process with the back page cut off at an angle. I see you may or may not have the old one.
From my many years of updating passports, I believe I have once entered Taiwan on a new passport # (old passport # on ARC) and was not asked to provide old passport.

1 Like

Since I am abroad, I don’t know how to update my APRC with the new passport number. It’s not like I can just walk into the office in Taipei next Wednesday and do it like I would have in Taiwan.

That’s what you’re supposed to do. Fly back and update it as it’s fresh.

Given that I live abroad, I will call up TECO USA and see if I can update somehow.

I believe you get fined if you don’t update your information at the NIA within 15 days of the change.

They’d probably waive the fine if you were abroad when the passport expires, considering there is no way to update it whilst abroad without giving someone in Taiwan power of attorney and giving them all your documents.

Taiwan side won’t give you any issues at the border if your APRC has your old passport number as long as you explain that you got a new one whilst out the country.

My worry would more be the airline, since currently airlines are checking that everyone has a right to enter Taiwan very carefully. If the airline thinks Taiwan won’t let you in, they won’t let you on the plane. So, you need to bring as much proof as possible to prove the passport number on your APRC was your old one. If you don’t have the original passport, maybe you can present a picture or scan of it? If you want to make sure the airline lets you board, you could try to get a letter, or even email from TECO or NIA saying that it’s fine to enter despite the passport number changing as long as you change it once in country. You could show the letter/email to airline staff and they’d worry less about you being denied once you land.

Saying all that through, I doubt airline staff would check the APRC carefully enough to realize the passport number is different.

I think I would’ve just avoided all that and went the PoA route.

If OP has loads of time then it’s an option. But sending documents to Taiwan could take up to a week even with DHL’s fastest service, then updating the ARC takes up to two weeks, then sending the documents back takes up to another week. So you are looking at about a month, and that’s if your PoA does everything immediately.

If I was an NIA processor, I’d find that far more understandable than five entire years

Half of the passport’s lifespan has already been used. I can’t imagine an excuse that would cover five years.

1 Like