Procrastinating: My Neighbor's Dog

Nice going! :thumbsup:

Though it would have been more satisfactory if you could have gotten the young lad to live in the shitty cage for a few days.

I used to think the street dogs had it bad here, but they still have a much better life than their domesticated buddies; who either get shoved in a handbag or a filthy cage depending on how large they are.

Great news, Mr Marboulette. You’re a good man. :notworthy:

Most excellent development. Good on ya!

[quote=“Icon”]
Well, it is quite an improvement in doggie’s life.[/quote]That’s also what I’m thinking.

[quote] Bit by bit, inch by inch, easy does it. Hopefully, he will be free soon.[/quote]And that is what I’m hoping for. :slight_smile:

[quote]Though it would have been more satisfactory if you could have gotten the young lad to live in the shitty cage for a few days.[/quote]I can’t say the thought didn’t cross my mind. Maybe he would get the picture after 12 hours in that cage… in the sun… with no water and no food.

[quote]You’re a good man.[/quote]Save your compliments, you big softy.

Truth be told, we owe a lot to our friend/translator for taking care of the rough edges. It’s a delicate situation and we think she handled it wonderfully. HUGE help.

I’ll try to post pics ASAP.

marboulette

Finally got the pooch out of there today. I’m obviously not very attentive. I was under the impression she was a male. But no, she’s a female. She’s at our vet now and I’m picking her up shortly. She had to be put under to have her claws clipped. Today I also noticed that she has a big lump on her chest between her nipples. Looks like a tumor, but it’s not. It’s a bloody bed sore. In this case you could call it a cage sore. She’s been in that cage for so long that her chest rubbing on the metal floor bars caused irritation to the point of deformation. It’s sick. Look at the pic below.

Arriving at the vet:

The cage sore:

The poor pooch is so hyperactive, she’s very difficult to handle even though she is super friendly. Frustrated as hell, and WAY excited to finally walk around for a bit. From the roof to the first floor of our place, she already snapped one claw and it started bleeding. She definitely had to have the claws clipped before we can let her run around.

Oh and I ran into the young lad when loading her into the truck. He was nice about it and he agreed to let me take her to the vet. So I think he will be fine to see her wear a sweater to protect her wound after the surgery. It’s a minor surgery anyways. NT$1000 later… I was tempted to have her spayed at the same time, but I think we’d better run that past the young lad first. One step at the time…

More pics of her later.

marboulette

Nice one. Keep up the good work.

[color=#FF0000]*Warning[/color]
: Gory pictures below. Might not be too good for work, or for people who dislike the sight of blood.

I picked up Lala(that’s her Chinese name) from the vet this afternoon and all went well. She has seven stitches on her chest but they are only external stitches. I think she will heal fast. Our vet always takes before and after pictures of his surgeries and his wife often takes pictures during the surgery as well. I asked if they could take pictures of the bleeding claws because I want to blog this to promote proper care for our pets. I think that showing these images is essentially a good way to show people the consequences of improper care. There is also a picture of the wound post-surgery.

On a more positive note, the claws will only hurt a bit for one day at the most. The blood vessel in each claw is tiny. It coagulates and heals very quickly. I could see that it was painful when she woke up and walked around. She didn’t limp, but she was raising her paws high up and walking slowly. Poor girl… According to our vet that will feel all better tomorrow. I requested that she’d be administrated a pain killer, and she got an injection for that.

I think it’s important to note that all the suffering the pooch is going through would have been easily avoidable if she only had her claws clipped and if she had been let out of her cage for a good while every day.

Here’s the before picture:

Here’s during surgery:

And here’s post surgery:

marboulette

I predict a happy ending here, good job pal;-) Hopefully he just lets you keep the dog, for yourself or to rehome. Damn that growth must have been umcomfortable for her.

Only just spotted this thread. Great job!

I envision a perfect ending with this one. I’m certain the guy will hand the dog over to you permanently and she’ll get adopted easily.

Way to go, marboulette! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Is it safe to let her run around with the others soon?

[quote=“zender”]Way to go, marboulette! :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Is it safe to let her run around with the others soon?[/quote]I think she will stand her grounds just fine. She found an old piece of chewed up rawhide in the backyard today and she was quite adamant in letting the competition know that she was claiming ownership. :laughing: No one argued. Aside from Duzzi who is bigger but who is also a big suck, she is the biggest dog here at the moment. We’ll have to be careful when Lois is around because she’s always crusty, and in this case, she’d probably come short. In other words, we’ll be supervising them, but they will eventually establish their ranks no matter what we do to try to avoid it. Once that’s done, they’ll co-habit peacefully. That’s how it always happens.

And when it comes to the surgery, the stitches are only external stitches so the chances of internal bleeding are very slim. A stitched surface wound is all it is. I think 2 days/48 hours and she’ll be ready to safely run around.

marboulette

Well done.
Keep up the diplomacy.

Here are some happy pictures. Little Mama(the little black dog) is all over Lala. They get along really well. Lala got a couple more injections today to keep infection at bay, and she is doing great. Her paws don’t appear to be bothering her at all. I let her walk around the yard so long as she doesn’t start running.

Happy dogs!

marboulette

Ahhhh her first canine friend. She looks so happy now, cute pic :slight_smile:

加油 (gia-eo) Way to go, marboulette! :discodance:

Thanks to you and others for the kind words.

Lala is doing well. The stitches should be ready to come out in 4 days.

Check out this little guy I spotted at a recycling station a few days ago. The pictures were taken after I opened the cage door. The cage is so rusty that the mesh flooring is breaking up in many places as seen on the close up picture of the food dish. The floor under the cage has anywhere from 3 to 10 inch of feces covering the whole thing. The whole thing stinks so bad it’s hard to breathe around it. Look at the green color of the water. This is not a photoshop job. It’s plain sick.

I took photos, and they are being reported. This is not a case with the neighbors. It’s some uneducated people running a recycling station in Renwu County, Kaohsiung.

Have a look:

marboulette

Oh motherofchrist, that’s grim. Jeez, Mr Marboulette I don’t know how you have the balls to go out and face that shit every day. :bluemad:

You said it exactly!
I’m wondering what would these (recycling) people gain by having a dog in that disgusting condition. How could the humans stand to be near the cage where the dog resides? Don’t these people smell all that SH*T!!! :bluemad: :bluemad: :bluemad: :bluemad: :bluemad: :bluemad:

I’m happy to see LaLa’s big smile. You can see in her eyes how improved her life is.

That poor doggy in Ren-wu! I lived in Ren-wu for quite a while. Marb’s right in that most of the people there are very “tai-ke” uneducated red neck types. A doggy that looked very much like the one in the horrid cage hung out near my place and made friends with my little doggy. He was a wonderful, wonderful dog. He was extremely intelligent and very friendly. He took care of a cat. He used to carry this cat around by her head, which she accepted just fine because he kept all the other dogs off her. In return, she shared food with him. I fed that dog for more than three months before he would allow me to touch him. Even then he refused to come into the garadge one night when a typhoon was comming. He’d been badly mistreated. That black doggy in the cage remeinds me of him and makes me miss him. Marb, I do hope you’re able to help that one, too. Thank you for having the heart and taking the time to try.