Professor investigated for pressuring Taiwan student over nationality

7 Likes

Guess we shall see who is bent over the barrell.

Professor, university or student. If they allow it, well…guess that school can get crossed off the list of places offering “higher” education.

“…telling him that Taiwan “is not a country” and is not recognized by the European Union.”

The professor is not wrong regarding the EU’s position.

1 Like

doesn’t matter

3 Likes

I’m confused why he would even change it to China? Part of college is being able to be an adult and stand up for yourself.
I’ve corrected the professor and have asked them why I was graded a certain grade. Maybe it’s an American thing :woman_shrugging: it’s part of the experience.

3 Likes

Could be lots of reasons: a Confucian deference to authority, the fact that the professor controlled the student’s grade (and grades are important for students), the technicality that the EU doesn’t currently recognize Taiwan as a country for obvious political reasons, the possibility that the student might want to work in China in the future and doesn’t want to be labelled a political problem, and so on, etc…

This esteemed professor’s biography (which I’m sure he wrote himself) is littered with grammatical errors (eg: “Since 2001, he has started…” = mixing present perfect and simple past). I suppose it’s not that relevant, but still…

1 Like

Look at all these innocent Chinese people.

2 Likes

Incidentally, the video was originally posted by Chen himself to the Chinese app WeChat on March 18, along with pictures showing how the student had changed his country of origin to “China” as a result of the professor’s “communication.”

However, it only began to draw attention after it was posted to Twitter on March 24 by Wu Lebao (吳樂寶), a Chinese dissident who has received asylum in Australia.

https://twitter.com/MerlotN/status/1506905673082507265?s=20&t=W2rgTZFBvMeJC8grcPvomg

https://twitter.com/MerlotN/status/1506906019225804804?s=20&t=W2rgTZFBvMeJC8grcPvomg

1 Like

Petition ¡ SACK ChenZhen from Politechnico Di Milan ¡ Change.org Everyone sign and share the petition

3 Likes

Shameful. As an Italian, this is twice as shameful to hear. Sad thing is that he won’t be sacked in the end. Italian politicians mostly bow to China and the few who voice out their opposition are just drops in the ocean. Just recently political pressure forced the Bologna Children’s Book Fair into removing the name “Taiwan” from a Taiwanese artist’s work as a compromise instead of writing “Taiwan, China”. Shameful. Shameful. Shameful.

2 Likes

I don’t support what this professor did, but seems to me we all advocate for cancel culture when it suits our purpose.

3 Likes

He is abusing his position as an architecture professor to bully students.

4 Likes

Worse part? The professor was technically correct. The EU should be canceled and petitioned. Got to scape goat and blame random people instead of petitioning the government to change.

2 Likes

So should the governments of the US, UK, Canada, Australia, Japan, and all of the rest of the 180 countries (out of 193) that recognize the PRC as the legitimate government of Taiwan.
I wouldn’t hold my breath.

3 Likes

No they don’t. They say that there is only one China, they do not say the PRC is the legitimate government of Taiwan. Because otherwise they wouldn’t recognize Taiwanese passports, or have offices in Taiwan that issues visa of those countries.

1 Like

Agree and as an employee of the university (not of the PRC Embassy, Confucius Institute, etc.) he can only reprimand students if they violate his employer’s regulations, not because they hurt his personal feelings or political convictions. If he believes that it is wrong not to write “Taiwan, China” on a thesis, he should bring it up to his employer and not to the internet (and his student).

Sorry @deepshelter , I didn’t mean to tag you :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t see it as cancel culture. He is abusing his position. “This won’t effect your score…”

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: General insult towards entire country/race

It’s not cancel culture. There’s a teacher bullying a student. It’s not that this teacher has a specific political bias or a controvert personal opinion on X. It’s a professor being an asshole.

2 Likes