Progressive values vs traditional liberal values

I always ran screaming from corporate women’s initiatives because I want to be a good engineer. Not a good engineer for a woman. Opposingly, I enjoy helping the underdog. I believe diversity is a strength for a team when we can appreciate contributions. Labels aren’t helpful.

6 Likes

I agree. I will add that diversity that is useful is not always related to superficial things like race, ethic background, nationality, gender. I often have more in common with people who are completely different than me in those labels than people who look like me.

1 Like

What is a poor identity group. Who is telling them this? Can you be more specific?

Yes, I could.

Well If the topic of the thread ever becomes your ability to do than that will make a great discussion topic for the others.

Your comment is vague and reads like a truism lacking specifics. I’d like to try to understand it. Give it a whirl.

A post was split to a new topic: From values

Poor white people.

And who is telling poor white people they are privileged?

Are white people not privileged?

False. I can’t believe this obviously debunked idea is still trotted out.

On a somewhat tangential note, is there any group historically more demonized or discriminated against than Jews? Yet somehow they do well as a group. It’s almost like culture matters or something, and race/ethnicity doesn’t comparatively.

2 Likes

Are you claiming this? That’s awfully oversimplified.

You haven’t quoted me, SOP, but how can I claim a question?

Its almost if playing “which minority group is more persecited” is in bad taste and besides the point!

Im really not all that intereted tbh and in the future thet SOP holds both ways or dont bother.

Theres a comfort in talking to you BD its always nice when you know what someone is gonna say in advance.

You’re a straight up guy and a reasonable and fair debater.

Why, thanks!

I’m not sure what this has to do with your line of reasoning, but usually you run out of steam and shift gears into this about three posts in.

I found an article here that really plumbs the great depths of conservative paranoia about sexuality and their own imagined persecution. Since we’re headed there anyways, what do you think of this?

The conservative preoccupation with their own self created myth about higher education in the states as one of the weirdest of all their many fascinating quirks.

The myth being North American tertiary education is full of people like you?

Yes, North American tertiary education is full of teachers. That’s not what the article is about though.

When you’ve got functionally right wing people on the board calling themselves liberals, it becomes pretty meaningless, doesn’t it?

1 Like

Yes. Libertarianism is far right economic dogma. It’s puzzling that some of its adherents don’t pick up on this sometimes.