"Prohibit to keep pet"?!

Advise? I want to have a dog. The manegement of our house says that to have a pet in the house its against the law and if anyone allready have a pet should “arrange the pet properly as soon as possibly to obey the regulation”. This is the clause from my leasing contract: " The behaviors that will cause public nuisances such as vibration, noise, pets, etss. are strictly prohibited."
I tryied to read this clause carefully but I still cant see that pets are not allowed in my building. I think that I still can have a dog if its not barking 24h at four diffrent directions from my department. What do you think? and what is kind of regulation can they do?

[quote=“leto”]Advise? I want to have a dog. The manegement of our house says that to have a pet in the house its against the law and if anyone allready have a pet should “arrange the pet properly as soon as possibly to obey the regulation”. This is the clause from my leasing contract: " The behaviors that will cause public nuisances such as vibration, noise, pets, etss. are strictly prohibited."
I tryied to read this clause carefully but I still cant see that pets are not allowed in my building. I think that I still can have a dog if its not barking 24h at four diffrent directions from my department. What do you think? and what is kind of regulation can they do?[/quote]

…pets…strictly prohibited = pets are not allowed. It may not be a “law” but it certainly looks like a condition of your lease. How sad.

Its pretty common these days, especially in big apartment blocks. It’s not against the law to keep a pet but if its against your building regulations and its stated in your lease, you have two options – get rid of the dog or move to somewhere that doesn’t have this regulation.

Usually, it is the landlords prerogative to allow pets or not. It is not a “law” per se, as in some places the US where they regulate how many dogs and cats per apartment according to size, location, etc…

If yours is a newish place, or maybe upscale, or just well organized, maybe this is a “neighborhood” regulation, set by everyone after many instances of barking dogs and other nuisances, which many of us have to suffer from, and not only furriners complain about. Noise, at the appropiate level, can get on the locals’ nerves, too. We know this will not be the case with you, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.

Nevertheless, it is not good to risk it and play secret agent with doggie. Doggie still needs to go out for walks, and you will be spotted by the neighbors. Not taking him out is NOT an option. And dogs will bark, even if it is to warn you of a thief, fire or earthquake.

Your contract especifically says “no pets”. This rules out birds, fish, mice, guinea pigs, etc… all the way to kitties, Chihuahuas and Saint Bernards. As Sandman says, there are two choices only.

But the contract does not forbid the keeping of animals for their meat, milk and skin.

Perhaps if you told him you were going to eat the dog when it got a bit fatter?

Or have you considered trading in the dog for a cow?

[quote=“urodacus”]But the contract does not forbid the keeping of animals for their meat, milk and skin.

Perhaps if you told him you were going to eat the dog when it got a bit fatter?

Or have you considered trading in the dog for a cow?[/quote]

Why not? :slight_smile:

[color=#40FF80]…pets…strictly prohibited = pets are not allowed. It may not be a “law” but it certainly looks like a condition of your lease. How sad.

[quote=“leto”]Advise? I want to have a dog. The manegement of our house says that to have a pet in the house its against the law and if anyone allready have a pet should “arrange the pet properly as soon as possibly to obey the regulation”. This is the clause from my leasing contract: " The behaviors that will cause public nuisances such as vibration, noise, pets, etss. are strictly prohibited."
I tryied to read this clause carefully but I still cant see that pets are not allowed in my building. I think that I still can have a dog if its not barking 24h at four diffrent directions from my department. What do you think? and what is kind of regulation can they do?[/quote]

…pets…strictly prohibited = pets are not allowed. It may not be a “law” but it certainly looks like a condition of your lease. How sad.[/color]

Sorry, I have to write it better…this paragrafs name is " Restrictions on Use of Leased property" and about pets you can read only this " The behaviors that will cause public nuisances such as vibration, noise, pets, etss. are strictly prohibited."
They are talking only about behaviors and nuisances…so if its not prohibited that means that its still allowed…or?

I think the correct reading would be, “Pets are forbidden because they would be a public nuisance, even if most of the time they are not seen or heard, to the cranky old ladies living near by (even though they spit, fart and cough louder than the dog)”.

I thought the correct reading was:

[color=#FF0000]
NO PETS ALLOWED.
[/color]

Is that so strange? Is that so hard to understand? They own the building and they don’t want your dog chewing, peeing, shitting on, stinking up and otherwise destroying their investment, or barking at all hours or biting or scaring/pissing off neighbors who pay rent money. It’s their building, they can make whatever rules they want. I thought most rental properties in most countries don’t permit dogs, and it seems like a perfectly reasonable rule to me. If you don’t like it you can either get rid of the dog or find a place that permits them (or try to sneak it in and suffer the consequences without complaint if you get caught).

They’ll never find my hamster.

EWWW! That’s just disgusting!

Mother Theresa :bravo: ,
I just knew it, if you hade a bad day do something good for you or just buy some flowers …maybe they will make you feel better…
and it was just simple talk about the words. Is that so hard to understand ?
and it was not about taking some actions…
If policeman will stopp you tomorrow and show you the document, there you can read: Jump from 10 floor! will you jump?
and its to sad that you hate dogs…they are very lovely animals.

It is almost impossible to have pets in SA…even cats aren’t allowed in duplex houses, if you are in a security complex. The only place that allows cats are on the ground floor. Even if you bought the place and it has a yard, its almost impossible to have a dog unless you buy a real house with a yard.(no complex, duplex etc.)

We are lucky here in Taiwan…but it can be very inconsiderate. My sis moved into my old place, which was so nice and peaceful until new neighbors came that has a little yapping dog. It barks whenever anyone opens the gate to the community, or chats outside. I can even hear it when I’m in the Wellcome nearby!

hang on…on that note…AnimalsTaiwan just rescued a bunch of chihuahuas that had their voice boxes cut…so no barking. How about that? Maybe if you explain the size of the dog and the circumstances?

problem is…once they say yes, others will try…

[quote=“leto”]Mother Theresa :bravo: ,
I just knew it, if you hade a bad day do something good for you or just buy some flowers …maybe they will make you feel better…
and it was just simple talk about the words. Is that so hard to understand ?
and it was not about taking some actions…
If policeman will stopp you tomorrow and show you the document, there you can read: Jump from 10 floor! will you jump?
and its to sad that you hate dogs…they are very lovely animals.[/quote]

You completely misunderstand. I’m not sad at all. Nor do I hate dogs. I’d love to have a dog if I had the time to walk it, had grass for it to run on, knew what to do with it when I’m on vacation, etc., and I’m hopeful some day my circumstances will change so I can have a dog. I think that would be great.

I was simply saying that it’s perfectly reasonable that the landlord, who shells out hard earned money to purchase a place as an investment, and seeks good tenants who will pay rent and not destroy the premises, should have the right whether to permit dogs or not. After all, many dogs will scratch, chew, shit on, piss on, stink up and otherwise diminish the value of the property. Some won’t but some will. So why shouldn’t the landlord, who owns the property, have the right to decide. It’s not a human rights issue at all (unless you’re talking about seeing-eye dogs or the like).

Why do you believe you should have the right to force your landlord to accept dogs if he doesn’t want to? It’s his property not yours.

Battery9, I dont like people who dont respect other people around ( Im talking about your sisters neighbors ), if you have a dog you have to spend enought time with it , they are like bebies, if you dont take care of them and dont practise with them they will be barking ets.
About “a bunch of chihuahuas” , this man should go to the prison directly and it have to be a law which protect animals so no one can try to do it again.

Mother Theresa, if the dog not disturb other people by barking, the should accept dogs , I cant se that its is a problem in my case, and it will not diminish the value of the property. And if somebody (human and for example his dog ) damage the place they living in it should be som other ruls about it, its one other discussion.
Its nice that you like dogs :wink: hope some day you can have one. I cant move from my place now but before oktober I hope that I can have one to.

[quote=“leto”]

Mother Theresa, if the dog not disturb other people by barking, the should accept dogs , I cant se that its is a problem in my case, and it will not diminish the value of the property. And if somebody (human and for example his dog ) damage the place they living in it should be som other ruls about it, its one other discussion.
Its nice that you like dogs :wink: hope some day you can have one. I cant move from my place now but before oktober I hope that I can have one to.[/quote]

Why on earth should they accept dogs if they are not noisy? Dogs can be destructive to property, and if the property is furnished, then there is dander and hair and the smell to be taken into consideration. If I were a landlord, there is no way I would allow my tenants to have animals in the house (ok, maybe fish or a hamster). You shouldn’t assume that everyone feels the same as you do about pets…there are plenty who don’t!

[quote=“leto”]Battery9, I don’t like people who dont respect other people around ( Im talking about your sisters neighbors ), if you have a dog you have to spend enought time with it , they are like bebies, if you dont take care of them and dont practise with them they will be barking ets.
About “a bunch of chihuahuas” , this man should go to the prison directly and it have to be a law which protect animals so no one can try to do it again.

Its nice that you like dogs :wink: hope some day you can have one. I cant move from my place now but before oktober I hope that I can have one to.[/quote]

If you like dogs but can’t keep one, why don’t you volunteer with AT or MeetPaets or the shelters in Neihu, Zhonghe, etc…

Then you can enjoy the company of a doggie that really needs your help, you will make an invaluable contribution to his/her well-being, and you will not get in trouble with the landlord.

Remember: their house, their rules. Some people might try to get away with it, but in the end, you are a guest, and must show your best side… if you want the deposit back. A contract is a contract. You signed it. Be nice, play fair. You already stated that you are better than the people who let doggies run wild/bark at all times.

[quote][color=#0080FF]If you like dogs but can’t keep one, why don’t you volunteer with AT or MeetPaets or the shelters in Neihu, Zhonghe, etc…
Then you can enjoy the company of a doggie that really needs your help, you will make an invaluable contribution to his/her well-being, and you will not get in trouble with the landlord.
Remember: their house, their rules. Some people might try to get away with it, but in the end, you are a guest, and must show your best side…[/color][/quote]

I was thinking about volunteering one day/week at the shelter there they have pappies. If you have some practical info about volunteering it would be great. I want to keep the pappy from near by shelter some day. Only problem that I cant speak Chinese.

And again about this rules…We have got this letter about “pet prohibition” some day ago…and they say that you can read about prohibition i paragraf I mented before. …Before I moved in …they sayd if you want be my guest then pay your builds and follow my rules…and I said ok and signed the contract…I follow the rules…but its not single word in the contract that says that pets are not allowed. Im a guest but Im not a stuped one. I know what I was singing. I just dont want to talk about it anymore…its seems to be not only my problem…it a lot of those houses… with rules…pets will still be not allowed to live just because somebodys rules, just because pets needs people and people cant do enything about it…dark cirkel…dogs will stay in the shelters… but it could be different…if rules will be more human.

Like I said before, keep a dozen chickens and perhaps a female goat or two. They’re not pets, more of a food source. And maybe then you’d get away with a sheepdog to round them up.

But I agree: in my apartments to let, no dogs allowed. Sorry, find another place.