Project Lead the Way

I am currently teaching this program at a junior high school and I think it would be interesting to discuss whether this type of Problem Based Learning could find merit in the ESL market. I personally think that this type of learning is better than walking naked on the beach.

My goal for this semester is to introduce the students to 2D/3D viewing. Then have the students design a dragster using AutoDesk and then actually going to the woodshop to build the dragster.

I am teaching in a school that is in a real tough neighborhood and I have found that the toughest students…the students at risk, are really getting into the program. These “made” kids are some of my best students…and that says a lot about differentiated instruction.

I have never been more satisfied in a job…

pltw.org/index.cfm

Peace,

Durinsbandsaw

[quote=“Durins Bane”]I am currently teaching this program at a junior high school and I think it would be interesting to discuss whether this type of Problem Based Learning could find merit in the ESL market. I personally think that this type of learning is better than walking naked on the beach.

My goal for this semester is to introduce the students to 2D/3D viewing. Then have the students design a dragster using AutoDesk and then actually going to the woodshop to build the dragster.

I am teaching in a school that is in a real tough neighborhood and I have found that the toughest students…the students at risk, are really getting into the program. These “made” kids are some of my best students…and that says a lot about differentiated instruction.

I have never been more satisfied in a job…

pltw.org/index.cfm

Peace,

Durinsbandsaw[/quote]Great to hear your job’s going well, DB. That looks like some really worthwhile stuff you’re doing. Thanks for posting about this. For a while I’ve been hearing about problem-based learning for EFL purposes, but haven’t looked into it much. Here’s a site about it:
pblforesl.com/

I’ve been doing a lot of what’s broadly called task-based language learning (TBLL) over the last three years. It’s great. Enthusiastic students who just speak English without being told to. I’m not quite sure what the difference is between TBLL and PBL. Maybe PBL tends to use real-life examples and practical projects more often. And I guess task-based language learning is a broader term.
Here’s a doc file about the differences anyway (just found it and haven’t read it yet):
iravani-toefl.com/download/esp.doc

The only caution I’d give about TBLL, and I think that could extend to PBL for language learning too, is that it’s important to keep a balance between language focus and “fluency” work. Much of the actual work on a task encourages fluency but may not build students’ language knowledge directly. I’ve found that it’s often good to focus on key vocab and structures first before starting a task.

This ties in with cautions about increased cognitive load with PBL:

[quote=“http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem-based_learning”]…
Although there have been a number of classroom studies that demonstrated the effectiveness of PBL, other educational researchers have criticized PBL as causing increases in cognitive load. Laboratory studies have shown that active problem solving early in the learning process, is a less effective instructional strategy than studying worked examples (Sweller and Cooper, 1985; Cooper and Sweller, 1987). Certainly active problem solving is useful as learners become more competent, and better able to deal with working memory limitations. But early in the learning process, learners may find it difficult to process a large amount of information in a short amount of time. Thus the rigors of active problem solving may become an issue for novices. Most proponents of PBL deal argue that the scaffolding inherent in PBL helps avoid these issues.
…[/quote]So scaffolding in my view would include work on useful language before getting into the main meat of a task or project.

And of course there should be lots of singing and dancing too… :wink:

My first real teaching job was at a language institute in the US and we taught using Task-based learning. It was incredibly effective from even early levels. With task-based instruction it is possible to maintain very controlled activities for novice learners but still allow them to accomplish a practical communication goal.

I think the criticisms of PBL introducing a large cognitive load at early stages is likely apt. But that doesn’t mean that it’s not something a teacher can’t progress into as students move from beginner to intermediate language competency.

And I’ll second Joesax’s caution to balance practice with content instruction. Studying grammar and vocabulary without practice and practicing without increasing study of form and new words are equally less effective strategies.

One of the things about PLtW (PBL) that really amazes me is that it reaches at risk kids. many of the kids who are masterting AutoDesk are the ones who are flunking mainstream classes. Differentiated learning works I guess.

Grammar and vocab are very important in ESL and a PBL program would probably only work with students who have a firm grasp of English basics.

Next year I am going to have the students make Rube Goldbergs and magnetic trains. I wish I had time for that stuff this year.