Proliferation of McDonald's 🍔

[quote=“steelersman”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”]LOL at the McDonald’s hate in this thread.

McDonald’s simply kick ass at their job. They serve a low cost, low quality product and people queue up around the block 24 hours a day.[/quote]

Compared to the price of local food, I wouldn’t consider McDonald’s low priced. There has to be more to it than the price. To be honest, I think a large part of it is marketing and getting people hooked at a young age.[/quote]

I don’t know how much McD’s charges here, because I’ve never been that desperate for food here, but my lunch today cost me NT$176 and was a pork katsu on rice with an egg/mushroom sauce, with side of miso soup and pickled vegetables. McD’s would have to be awfully fucking cheap to make the tradeoff worth it. Oh, and I’d have to be penniless enough to care about the cost difference, too.

[quote=“tommy525”]I think one of the earliest ones was on the corner of LInSen N.Rd and Nanjing E. Rd. Sadly it took the place of this awesome restaurant that had live music all day and evenings. Pretty and young waitresses in Sarongs. Excellent and very fairly priced meals too. Was an awesome place to hang out in the afternoons and evenings for music, good food, with a date.

Then it became a MCDonalds. !!! DANG.[/quote]

can i make this my f**king epitaph?

I do eat MCD sometimes…and I know it’s probably not healthy. I am amazed when Parents blame fast foods for obesity in their own Children ? I suppose economics will ultimately dictate McD growth or demise in Taiwan . They are generally, incredibly busy though.

Not really important but in France they don’t.

And i’m happy to say (even if it’s crappy food, it’s still better than McD) that Burger King is finally reopening (only 2 places at the moment) in France after 15 years :smiley:

I was in the Netherlands, at a burger king when they charged like over 5 euros for the meal and asked another 25 cents to a single packet of ketchup. And they still charged to use the toilet. I have not tried eating at a fast food place in Germany… no reason to eat there because there are plenty of better places like mystery meat at Doners (which was actually quite good) as well as cooking my own meal at home, which was both cheap and enjoyable.

Few months later I ate at a burger king at the Taoyuan airport, and the experience was 10 times better.

Mickey D’s is controlled by illuminati masterminds that brainwash our children to follow their Satanic mission. The mission: to make the entire world as fat as their wives

[quote=“Taiwan Luthiers”]I was in the Netherlands, at a burger king when they charged like over 5 euros for the meal and asked another 25 cents to a single packet of ketchup. And they still charged to use the toilet. I have not tried eating at a fast food place in Germany… no reason to eat there because there are plenty of better places like mystery meat at Doners (which was actually quite good) as well as cooking my own meal at home, which was both cheap and enjoyable.

Few months later I ate at a burger king at the Taoyuan airport, and the experience was 10 times better.[/quote]

The last time I was in Germany, it was cheaper to eat at a Chinese restaurant than at McDonald’s.

[quote=“shiadoa”]I do eat MCD sometimes…and I know it’s probably not healthy. I am amazed when Parents blame fast foods for obesity in their own Children ? I suppose economics will ultimately dictate McD growth or demise in Taiwan . They are generally, incredibly busy though.
[/quote]

Yes, it is interesting that parents blame McDonald’s for their children’s obesity but let many grandparents take the grandkids there to play and spend their energy, get some food and a toy and the grandparents get some reprieve time to rest and read the newspapers. Parents are usually busy working somewhere else, and I don’t blame the grandparents for taking the kids to play in the McDonald’s with other kids. Parents blame the place but how do you explain the crowd of parents (grandparents) with kids that attend the opening of a new McDonald’s. I’ve heard some local peoples actually praising the fast food for making their kids grow taller and big “like Americans”.

Someone would probably add a disparaging word like grasshopper now, but there is little to belittle when the little has been self-imposed.

[quote=“tomthorne”]Is it true that BurgerKing are closing their operations in central and southern Taiwan? It seems that they can’t compete with the McD kiddy fast food.

I hope they don’t close in the north. They’re the only junk food I’ll touch - and then very rarely.[/quote]

I don’t know, but we’ve only ever had two locations in Tainan as far as I know and they’re always busy.

They closed their 3 year old store in Taichung just a few months ago. I think they were too expensive for students but they placed their store Ina student area. They should do drive thru like McDonald’s.

I also like Burger King and Mos, but both fast foods restaurants are understaffed. The manager also needs to help cook and serve sometimes. I usually see 1 person cooking, 2 attending the cashiers and also cooking and doing the cleaning, so they don’t do deliveries. I love going to Subway, but the line is long, they have only 2 persons preparing the food, cutting the subs, 1 person taking care of the cashier. McDonald’s and KFC have a more simplified menu and preparation, more peoples working, more structure and organization so they can offer drive thru service though the afternoon food is not impressive at all, but I like the breakfast sausages, pancakes, muffins, bagels.
Someone should come up with a idea like Sushi Express, but instead of sushis, some western food, sandwiches, finger foods, salads, desserts, and they don’t require lots of peoples to run.

Most meals end up over 100NT. I ate there a few times when I moved here but switched to Subway and sometimes Mos. Other than the fries I lost my acquired McD’s taste about 10 yrs ago. I almost can’t stand to eat one of their burgers.

At least you are not paying more. Here in the USA an average 1/4 pounder meal costs (with tax) just bout 7.50 !! Chicken sandwhich meal (small drink and small fries included) ditto.

Fish burger meal with tax just around 6.50

For me, the only draws to McDonald’s on this island are the new Taiwanese-styled 芋頭派, 紅豆派, and the like.

They’ve apparently banned Butterfingers in this country – which amazes me considering how much Taiwanese, and I, love peanuts – but means that they only have charcoal-tasting Oreo McFlurries.

As for McDonald’s in China, I think I’ll have to find the educational program that I watched where the McDonald’s corporation was worried that they would struggle to adjust their menus to suit the tastes of people who eat scorpion and frog leg kebabs for snacks.

One less in Canada (I thought Canada was safe, somewhat surprised to read this )

2 Likes

Canada has a ton of rough urban areas. The stereotype of it being some polite haven full of funny-talking nice guys and gals is really dated.

As for McD’s, I would agree there’s too many if the local places that they were crowding out were any good. Most of the time when a new McD’s (or KFC) opens near me it’s replacing an awful lunchbox place or some phone case shop or scooter repair shop. Yes, there’s good Taiwanese eateries, but a lot less than there should be and they get marginalized by cheap lunchbox places (as most Taiwanese seem to prioritize saving money over quality food), not American fast food.

1 Like

Near the unis (and in some business distrincts) of Taipei, higher quality lunch spots are popping up (poke joints, Miss Energy and other places trying to deliver better proteins and not just sugar/salt/carbs).

With TSMC coming to town, who knows? Maybe you’ll start to see some of this shift in K Town too.

Guy