Promoting the Women's Forum

Ouch. I don’t think it is about special treatment. Much of this site is rather like sitting in a pub with the guys, shootin’ the shit. Intelligent discussion does come up and lots of useful information is exchanged. However, there are some things I wouldn’t bring up in a room full of guys. Particularly guys who use their computers to hide behind and say some really nasty shit that most of them would never have the gall to utter in the real world. Granted, most don’t, but enough do.
It is true the women’s forum gets little traffic, but it is there when we need it.

Having said that, this thread is not about whether or not to have the women’s forum (please, I hope I haven’t opened up that debate again), it is because the administrators would like to see it have more traffic.

And Loretta, you are right. Thanks for clarifying that.
And Maoman, hehe, I’ll have to be careful about thread titles from now on, eh?

[quote=“Maoman”]Goose Egg and I would like to promote the Women’s Forum, and make more women aware of it. Would anyone be interested in doing a bit of pro bono work and designing some banners for us? There would be free drinks at the next Happy Hour in it for you! :slight_smile:

We would need banners in 4 sizes: Leaderboard Banner (728x90), Skyscraper Banner (120x600), Medium Rectangle Banner (300x250), and Rectangle Banner (180x150).

Thanks for any help![/quote]
Bump.

How about simply make it visible to people who are not signed in/registered? In order to use the link, you need to register. Simple.
Right now, no one can see it at all, unless they are already a forumosan who is signed in, and happens to scroll down near the bottom of the threads/forums.
I didn’t register for years until I finally needed to for something or other, and even then it took several more years to realize it was there at all.
There are lots and lots of people who lurk here or just use forumosa for information/research who are not registered.

Yeah, I didn’t know there was a women’s forum until someone in a thread made fun of it (mentioned how girls should go whine in the women’s forum…) and then I couldn’t figure out to join and had to ask about it. So, I definitely think it should be more obvious that it exists and more clear how to go about joining.

same here. I also wonder why the women never invite other women or tell them about it??

uh, :blush: , my only excuse is that it is not always easy to tell who the women are…

There are - it usually just involves a phone call to Lupillus, and a question that only women would know the answer to.[/quote]

Wow, now you really got me wondering? :ponder:

Location of the G spot?

Tampon v. Maxipad?

Pitt v. Clooney?

Buying the right bra?

How to get him to commit?

:popcorn:

There are - it usually just involves a phone call to Lupillus, and a question that only women would know the answer to.[/quote]

Location of the G spot?

Tampon v. Maxipad?

Pitt v. Clooney?

Buying the right bra?

:popcorn:[/quote]
More likely: How far up Mother Teresa’s arse can you plant a size 6 Jimmy Choo knockoff?

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]

Location of the G spot?

Tampon v. Maxipad?

Pitt v. Clooney?

Buying the right bra?

:popcorn:[/quote]
More likely: How far up Mother Teresa’s arse can you plant a size 6 Jimmy Choo knockoff?[/quote]

Key – don’t make them have to register for the main forum. There are some pretty strong , well, let’s be diplomatic and call them ‘distractors’.

You could make it so people just sign up for the sub-forums they want to see. Would also remove most ‘discipline’ problems.

[quote=“Buttercup”]Key – don’t make them have to register for the main forum. There are some pretty strong , well, let’s be diplomatic and call them ‘distractors’.

You could make it so people just sign up for the sub-forums they want to see. Would also remove most ‘discipline’ problems.[/quote]
Alternatively, run with my idea of allowing users to selectively turn forums on or off.

[quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“Buttercup”]Key – don’t make them have to register for the main forum. There are some pretty strong , well, let’s be diplomatic and call them ‘distractors’.

You could make it so people just sign up for the sub-forums they want to see. Would also remove most ‘discipline’ problems.[/quote]
Alternatively, run with my idea of allowing users to selectively turn forums on or off.[/quote]

Why would anyone bother with that? It’s more important to get stuff like the women’s forum going, because i get the impression that people who sign up to that are actually in Taiwan, and need to network. You could sell advertising on the basis that the people who read it are in Taiwan.

Meeting my girls was the most positive, useful outcome. I’d have been fine in Taiwan without it, and didn’t even noticed flob till 2006, until a guy showed me it. There’s no point keeping cookies in the attic if people have to walk through the rest of the house first.

me and tash made some cool banners, once. We lost our school spirit, though.

Too bad - it’s the women’s forum’s loss. :neutral:

Absolutely. tash is very talented. I think we lost her, though. Although tash and I can see past the ‘maxi-pads’ humour, many – most of my female, western friends can’t be bothered and networked in the ways that they did before internet boards. It’s hard to draw those kind of people in, and you have to offer more than ‘Loooook! We even have a special space where no-one will make period jokes or call you a fembot or a whore!’

But at the end of the day, it’s down to the ‘new generation’, now, who actually live in Taiwan. There are a few new faces in there at the moment, getting together and networking, despite the obstacles. They have to promote it, not me.

Hey, what about a group avatar?

… can I join now?

I will try to make some when I have a minute or two.

Since I’m a woman in business in Taiwan, perhaps I can put the Women’s Forum info on my website.

There’s a women’s forum banner up now that’s just hilarious. It says…“very real issues that women face and need to have dealt with in a way more conducive to the way women communicate”. I think it’s a little stab at “the way women communicate”…you need to read it three times to make sense of it, wordy and not at all to the point, pretty much like most of my posts. Not very PC, but funny nonetheless. I wonder who made that banner? :slight_smile:

Yeah, it’s pretty chucklesome. But it’s PINK. For the WIMMINS, you see. (It 's even called that - flob.com/womens ). But hey, it’s free and someone spent their time doing it, which is certainly more than we could be arsed to, eh?

the more I think about it…should I even be in the women’s forum? Seeing that I have a guy’s brain?

I used to be in the women’s forum, but I left a loooong time ago. I’m just wondering if that line was a deliberate joke, or was it purely accidental? It is very funny, though.