Pronouns

The person who wants to bebcalled the “they/them” pronoun.
I don’t care what pronoun you use but please don’t violate the number rule. We have enough trouble teaching Grammer rules they/them must have a plural verb.
As he/she/it and other singular pronouns must agree with singular verbs.

1 Like

The supreme irony of that person getting so strung out about the pronouns their colleagues might use is, of course, that in Mandarin the commonly used 3rd person pronoun has no gender, so when they talk about the poster among themselves, they have no choice but to call them “they”, and even when the co-workers do speak English, about 75% of the time they fuck up “he” and “she” any friggin ways.

5 Likes

The cool thing is 3rd person pronouns are all pronounced the same. But they have additional classifications and have their own character. People which is he/she, inanimate things which is it, gods, animals and quite a few other things I don’t know. They are all pronounced “ta” but written differently.

They/them/their to refer to a single person has a long history.

6 Likes

commonly used 3rd person pronoun

Spot on!

Whoops, corrected. In quotes mistakes live forever. Thanks Rocket.

OMG, i can’t imagine learning Italian this way. The entire sentence structure must be conjugated to masculine or feminine. It would be so confusing, it’s hard enough as it is.

Grammatical gender isn’t gender pronouns. Much as I disagree with people who expect gender pronoun changes, they aren’t calling for languages that have grammatical gender to change. Well, if they are then they’ve gone completely batshit.

1 Like

I’m not changing formula pronouns for anyone. Create new pronouns, ok, but they must conform to the number/verb rule.
Singular subjects and their pronouns get an s or es on the end. Plural do not.
I will not use any words not approved by the language boards of the major Dictionaries.

Sorry, what?

Ok. I was a bit of a slow student in my younger years.
I had to have the rules of my language and the others that I studied drilled in to my head.
For He/She/It or whatever singular pronouns you care to create, its verb will get " s or es."
They/Them no matter what their archaic use was, are now a plural only pronouns.
“Look at them. They are looking at me.”
“What are you talking about. I only see one person. Do you mean the birds?”
I really don’t care about the gender aspect. Subject/verb agreement helps understand and describe what’s around us and correct for errors. "Look at the fish. They can fly. The sheep is cute. Can I pet it?
Please don’t hijack existing pronouns.

Okay, probably should have gotten that.

But agreement isn’t really an issue; when talking about someone, I might say “They swim every day”, I wouldn’t say “they swims”.

It’s not archaic; it’s current and common.

From Oxford:

1. third person plural singular Used to refer to a person of unspecified gender.
    ‘ask a friend if they could help’

Mirriam-Webster:

1B. : HE entry 1 sense 2 —often used with an indefinite third person singular antecedenteveryone knew where they stood

3 Likes

No but if a biological male wants me to refer to them her “lei” instead of “lui” I must conjugate to that every time. So for example pass tense “she went” would be “Sei andata” instead of “sei andato”. I would have to remember it for so many things. Using “La” and not “Lo” and conjugate for La. it’s a mess.

I quite like the combination pronoun you get from She and It.

1 Like

English has a lot of exceptions. You is always with are, even if that is a single person. For me, nothing is strange that they can be a single person.

1 Like

Some native speakers conjugate the verb in the singular, you is and you was.

Just sayin’.

1 Like

well then, they is wrong.

2 Likes

Thou art correct.

Why do people stress so hard about gender pronouns but know every single pokemon