Proof of residency in both USA and Taiwan?

For example, I have the Robinhood app. I’m asked to verify residence ONLY via a state id (not a passport or otherwise).

As a taxpayer living abroad, I usually use passport, or utility bill. In this case, I specifically must prove residence via a state id, what the?

The next time I fly back, I should get a state id, I suppose - real Ids last 8 years. Any other way to handle this? USA banks hate Americans being abroad as much as foreign banks do. As a taxpayer, I should simply be able to prove my foreign address in Taiwan and show my passport (federal id, which SHOULD be more powerful than a state id). Shame requirements aren’t setup based on logic.

Well I guess if you are doing financial things, you would need that state ID to levy state income taxes, no? And don’t you have a driver’s licence in your home state? I kept my Ontario one.

Wouldn’t that suggest that you don’t have residence in the US?

I think they‘re pretty clear about their requirements on their website:

To apply for a Robinhood account, you’ll need to meet the following requirements:

• Be 18 years or older;
  • Have a valid Social Security Number (not a Taxpayer Identification Number);
  • Have a legal U.S. residential address within the 50 states or Puerto Rico (we may make exceptions for active U.S. military personnel stationed abroad); and
  • Be a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, or have a valid U.S. visa*.

If you don’t reside in the US (i.e. you live in Taiwan), then you’re probably not eligible to register. If you still register, they might terminate and / or freeze your account on short notice once they find out.

I DO have a USA residential address (I have homes both in Taiwan and USA) there and I am a US citizen. They didn’t state I need to physically be inside USA, just that I have a verified USA presence (which I have).

I had a state id that recently expired.

It’s because New York State requires an additional license for crypto and exchanges need verify the state residency of customers before offering them services.

BitLicense - Wikipedia

So it’s a NY state thing, I see. Yeah because otherwise it wouldn’t make sense if I’m not allowed to buy crypto just because I live abroad.

So if a company is run outside of NY, it’s not required?

Still required.

Why state-based, though? Shouldn’t this be a federal thing? It’s strange that my federal passport id has less “power” than a state id.