Proper Use of Your Online Signature

I don’t read every post of every thread I participate in. Sometimes I start with the last post and work backwards. There are probably many others who do the same thing. People who read threads backwards or skip around might possibly be deprived of seeing our sigs on threads if we didn’t include it.

Now, I’m sure my sig is exactly the kind of rubbish that annoys you. Although I rarely have more than one post an a single page of a thread, when I do it takes up multiple lines.

You’ve got to understand, sigs are a form of intellectual vanity. We want someone to take notice of how clever, or knowingly moronic (reverse-clever), our signatures are. Ideally, an entire thread will be started to discuss what we’ve written, parodied, or quoted. At the least we hope someone, sometime will gratify our vanity with a side comment.

But in my case, the main reason for having my sig in every post is not intellectual vanity. That’s just why I wrote my sig, not why I repeat it. The reason I repeat it is mental laziness. I don’t want to have to think about whether I should opt to not include my sig or not. And what if I post two posts close together, but then it turns out my new post is actually the first post of a new page and I had not included my sig? Then my vanity would require me to go and edit my post, which would be far too much effort.

So, for the sake of my vanity and laziness, I post my sig in every post I make rather than judiciously.

I agree that it might be worth the effort to opt not to include one’s sig. in a situation where one is posting innumerable times in the same thread.

However, wastage of bandwith aside (which must be quite minimal, i would imagine), I would never have noticed that a poster had opted not to include his sig. If you hadn’t of mentioned it, I would never have noticed that you did just that. My eyes just focus on the next post.

But bobpine, this one’s for you! :wink:

I tend to put my sig in only some of my posts, just so it’s not omnipresent. But it doesn’t bother me when folks leave them in all the time. It’s easy enough to ignore. :homer:

and soon-to-be dead languages like French! :smiling_imp:

I feel bad now. I got posters who think that I believe their signature is rubbish because I posted this thread. I can’t think of many signatures which I dislike. Very few in fact. What I find unecessary(that’s a better word than “annoying”) is to attach it to every post. That’s all.

Some of the posters who replied seem to understand that, others take it personally it seems. Please don’t, It was not my intention.

I really hope that clarifies this misunderstanding. It’s my fault because I did not choose my words carefully enough.

[quote]You know what I think? I think you’re perfectly entitled to your opinion, but I also think you’re shit out of luck on this one. If “being annoying” were enough to demand something not happen, I’d not be posting. Unfortunately for you, you’re going to have to do one of two things: harden up, or learn to ignore the sigs.
[/quote]

Would it be possible to have this included in the classic posts?

[quote=“Dragonbones”]

and soon-to-be dead languages like French! :smiling_imp:[/quote]

yeah right,keep hoping :unamused:

Blah, blah, blah, online signature. Blah, blah, important. Blah, blah, easier. Blah, blah, blah.

No worries. I didn’t actually think you were targetting mine, just you were more concerned with those that are kinda long.

My reply was made tongue-in-cheek, no offence was taken.

It’s not a conscious decision to include it. In my profile settings I have it set to automatically always include my sig. I’d have to remember to uncheck the box. Remembering little things like that is not actually my strong suit. It’s much easier to not worry about all those check boxes down at the bottom.

[quote=“R. Daneel Olivaw”]It’s much easier to not worry about all those check boxes down at the bottom.[/quote]You take the time to write a post and you can’t take the time to do one more click? You are soooooooo lazy! :wink: :wink:

Just goes to show that my vanity is greater than my laziness.

But in the spirit of this thread I will uncheck the box on this particular post.

:salute:

[quote=“bobepine”][quote=“R. Daneel Olivaw”]It’s much easier to not worry about all those check boxes down at the bottom.[/quote]You take the time to write a post and you can’t take the time to do one more click? You are soooooooo lazy! :wink: :wink:[/quote]You couldn’t take the time to press shift when registering your name, just once ! Until you get your name properly capitalized, I don’t think you’re in a position to lecture us :rant:

:wink: