Proposals for Taiwanese flag

I like the tiger flag! But then, I’m color blind, so who knows what other people are seeing.

It feels very dated imo.

Technically, in all three places, the British flag is the foreign looking one. Personally I don’t find blue or red ensign nice looking. If I have to choose, the blue ensign is better looking than the red. However, defacing it makes it look worse, not better.

The American flag is just a copy of the British East India Company flag… so… I guess I should also do this?

The blue is closer in shade with the blue on Kosovo, Micronesia flags, just a bit darker in color. Around the time of that design, people were experimenting with that blue. I picked the red because a regular red would look out of place with that blue. I can try one with colors borrowed from the US flag.

It’s the United States of Christmas Sweaters.

Pretty sure 30 years ago they were all made in Taiwan.

Brief note: I kept one of my airline uniforms as a souvenir. Yesterday I was moving stuff around and I noticed the jacket, pants and shirt were all made in Taiwan. Very durable, breathable, well fitting, nice looking uniforms. Very well made in Taiwan.

1 Like

Show us a photo or it isn’t true!

I’m picturing a leather helmet with goggles.

1 Like

1 Like

So, I went to this site and printed a flag for 160 NTD.

They happened to have a shop near my area so I can just go to the store and pick it up.

The result is… I learned a lot about printing flags…

First of all, this. When you print a “cheapo” flag like this, the fabric is very translucent. That means if it’s not against a solid background, the color will look even lighter.

Secondly, since I didn’t know I have to specify for them to print both sides, only one side of the flag actually has color, the other depends on the color on the opposite side to bleed through. So the un-printed side looks even more faded.

Lastly, apparently when you have a vector graphic design and transferred it to PDF, it actually won’t look the same on all computers.

So despite the PDF looking exactly like my design on my computers, it looks like this on theirs…

[Edit: lost the image]

Oh the humanity… that’s 160 NTD or two bento boxed down the drain.

I haven’t taken a photo because how poorly it turned out, but I’m gonna try again.

This time I’ll export the design to TIFF with 150 dpi, and ask them to print both sides…

Frequency of flag colors by continent

Red, white and blue are quite popular.

3 Likes

In traditional heraldry, there are only six colors (okay, four “colors” and two “metals”), so flags like Hong Kong’s (field of whore pink) or Armenia’s (one stripe of apricot) would have been non-standard.

The French Revolution popularized red, white, and blue for countries that identify with freedom and democracy, while other countries (like Britain) just happened upon the same color combination by chance. Black is associated with fascists and pirates and such. Green represents Islam and/or the jungle (as in the old flag of Transvaal, which inspired South Africa’s current Y-front). Red is blood and/or Communism. White is purity, but you don’t want your flag to be mistaken for a flag of surrender (a concern which led to revision of the CSA flag). Blue often represents the sky or heaven.

3 Likes

6 Likes

I just learned about this kind of ancient Autronesian jade ware found in archeological sites both in and outside of Taiwan, like the Kay Daing and Nagsabaran sites in Luzon, and the Duyong site in Palawan. They were all made using jade from Eastern Taiwan.

They are usually referred to as jade slit earrings with protrusions (帶突玦). Yeah, these were ear rings. Early Austronesian men wore these slit earrings or tube/straw shaped earrings.

I thought they look unique enough, but had a hard time coming up with a way to make it look cool. I would love to hear some suggestions.

The symbol on its own looks like some sort of flag from Star Trek, the flag or Bajor for example.

4 Likes

Maybe you can replace them with unipresident since they seem to own virtually every food thing. (Largest food production company in Asia according to Wikipedia)

The image is the plum blossom, Taiwan’s national flower, which is used in the current presidential crest.

2 Likes

I think a good flag should contain elements of Taiwan’s past, present and future ideals. It shouldn’t be exclusively based on symbols from Han and/or indigenous eras. I think should have some symbols for freedom or democracy too.

What are some common symbols of democracy on a flag? Stars? Unfortunately it’s also a symbol of Communism.

Doesn’t have to be yellow :smiley: