Proposals for Taiwanese flag

Hey man, I just like animals.

the mata (rhombus) is also a reference to the vipers.

I’ll be convinced if you can find me an example of when Taiwanese or other Asians used the cross to represent their identity before Europeans arrived.

Actually, the Vietnamese flag is just very communist.

also, I don’t think pentagon means what you think it means. And pentagrams are common in Chinese records.

In fact, most illustrations of the 5 elements 金木水火土 tend to be in a pentagram.

1 Like

Yes you’re right I meant to say the pentagrams.

Yes as a matter of fact I could easily show you.
I didn’t just respond to your thread because it appeared to be so interesting that I wanted to give my 2cents.

It’s kinda cheating because I have with me a couple of resources including books on the Japanese Kamon.

I just wiki-ed and found out the cross appeared as early as in a graphic depiction of the Mongol invasion.

the maru juji was first employed by the Satsuma at least after 1602. Also the Satsuma was famous for its maritime interactions with people outside of Japan,. The Europeans were in Japan as late as 1543.

Terrible example. The Shimazu clan were the first in Japan to have continued contact with Christian Europeans and many clan members became Christian hence the prominent cross in their clan flag.

Don’t be obtuse.
What do I want?
I hope, the same as any resident of Taiwan would, something relevant.
You are a resident of this nation, I suppose?

A cross is ludicrous in the extreme. If you think that is proper for this island, not yet a nation, and nowhere near a state, then daydreams are truly utile.
Formosa, indeed.
How about “Isla Feio” emlazoned acrossed a brick coloured, dirty water, and poisoned grain, motif?
Poison rhetoric, empty ignorant phrases, and futile partisan jabbering do not any real response make, unless one is a hackish ogre of the first order.

If we are going to have religious symbols in the flag lets put the image of Matzsu there. At least Taiwanese can proudly say we haven’t persecuted people in the name of god.

Some sources say a juji symbol can be seen in 蒙古襲来絵巻 (composed between 1275 and 1293). However, the official adoption of Maru Juji by the Satsuma was after 1602.

I also looked over all the sections of the said painting, the juji can be found in this section of the painting. In another section, there is also a 井 symbol.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c … ba_2-2.jpg

However, Satsuma merely represents yet another colonial force here on this island. After all, it was the Satsuma who pushed Japan to annex and remain in Taiwan. The first couple Japanese prefects were strongly connected with Satsuma. Why would that be an appropriate example to use a cross here on this island?

I thought discussion at this point was whether white folks copyrighted the cross in Asia.

If Formosa is truly autonomous, we shouldn’t worry about how others view the flag design.

daydreams really?

I have come up with a design and provided with the rationale/design considerations of this design. The symbologies are plenty and evident, but it is not about christianity because I’m not a christian (for he record), and I have no feelings toward christian symbologies.

For the record, your {SIC} symbologies might be plenty, but they are not evident. And, forget about the cross…
Once again, do you even live here?

I don’t think it’s exactly the same because these are my original thoughts and original words. It could be a coincidence but if it is it is even better.

DPP party flag looks like this. .

the world is connected, and I care if there’s a cross in my flag for no good reason.

Truly autonomous?
What on earth is that?
And who is this “we” you refer to?

For the 3rd time:
Do you even live here, or are just some smurf from Calgary?
Answer this direct question, if you please.

that’s a terrible rendition of the DPP flag. the color, the proportions, the boarders, all just terrible. can’t beleive they have a perfectly rendered 台灣民主國 flag on wikipedia, and that’s the DPP flag they use. My rendition of the DPP flag without the map.

Like I’ve said, I’m not convinced by why the cross should on the Taiwanese flag. I do like the simplistic aspects of flags featuring a cross. But if there should be one on the Taiwanese flag, the DPP flag without Taiwan isn’t bad looking.

1 Like

Q:Truly autonomous?
A: Yes.
Q: Who is this “we” you refer to?
A: Those citizens who will swear allegiance to the country the flag in question represent, and thereby becoming a citizen of the state that the flag in question represent.
Q: Do you even live here, or are just some smurf from Calgary.
A: No comment to this sort of question.