Proposition 8 in California

…and then he showed you the dark side?

…and then he showed you the dark side?[/quote]

There was no dark side. They are not any different as people then you and me.

I was driving past a Chinese-y neighborhood in SF the other day and was very surprised to see Chinese (I assume they’re Chinese) people on every other corner holding up “Yes to Prop 8” signs. I looked up online and polling showed 57% of Asian Americans oppose Prop 8, yet on an online forum I frequent, there was discussion that most visible sign holders in SF were in fact Asian.

Disappointed.

…and then he showed you the dark side?[/quote]

There was no dark side. They are not any different as people then you and me.[/quote]
Oh geez man… :unamused:

[quote=“914”]I was driving past a Chinese-y neighborhood in SF the other day and was very surprised to see Chinese (I assume they’re Chinese) people on every other corner holding up “Yes to Prop 8” signs. I looked up online and polling showed 57% of Asian Americans oppose Prop 8, yet on an online forum I frequent, there was discussion that most visible sign holders in SF were in fact Asian.

Disappointed.[/quote]

A great many Latinos here are voting YES to 8 and I saw a large group of them with signs saying the same a few days ago.

As of 10.20 PM 27% precincts reported at:

53% Yes
47% No

It’s not looking good, but only a quarter way through, there’s hope yet.

[quote=“914”]I was driving past a Chinese-y neighborhood in SF the other day and was very surprised to see Chinese (I assume they’re Chinese) people on every other corner holding up “Yes to Prop 8” signs. I looked up online and polling showed 57% of Asian Americans oppose Prop 8, yet on an online forum I frequent, there was discussion that most visible sign holders in SF were in fact Asian.

Disappointed.[/quote]

I can’t get the exit poll results on CNN to load right now, but according to Andrew Sullivan they show that “[color=#FF0000]Every ethnic group supported marriage equality, except African-Americans[/color], who voted overwhelmingly against extending to gay people the civil rights once denied them: a staggering 69 - 31 percent African-American margin against marriage equality.”

So maybe the people you saw weren’t representative, 914. :idunno:

EDIT: According to the same source, Prop 8 was losing 52-48 as of a couple hours ago. :thumbsup:

[quote=“Hobbes”][quote=“914”]I was driving past a Chinese-y neighborhood in SF the other day and was very surprised to see Chinese (I assume they’re Chinese) people on every other corner holding up “Yes to Prop 8” signs. I looked up online and polling showed 57% of Asian Americans oppose Prop 8, yet on an online forum I frequent, there was discussion that most visible sign holders in SF were in fact Asian.

Disappointed.[/quote]

I can’t get the exit poll results on CNN to load right now, but according to Andrew Sullivan they show that “[color=#FF0000]Every ethnic group supported marriage equality, except African-Americans[/color], who voted overwhelmingly against extending to gay people the civil rights once denied them: a staggering 69 - 31 percent African-American margin against marriage equality.”

EDIT: According to the same source, Prop 8 was losing 52-48 as of a couple hours ago. :thumbsup:[/quote]

Oh the sick sad irony of all that… :s

[quote=“Hobbes”][quote=“914”]I was driving past a Chinese-y neighborhood in SF the other day and was very surprised to see Chinese (I assume they’re Chinese) people on every other corner holding up “Yes to Prop 8” signs. I looked up online and polling showed 57% of Asian Americans oppose Prop 8, yet on an online forum I frequent, there was discussion that most visible sign holders in SF were in fact Asian.

Disappointed.[/quote]

EDIT: According to the same source, Prop 8 was losing 52-48 as of a couple hours ago. :thumbsup:[/quote]
I know they are not representative of the reality of the voters. I was disappointed that there were so many visible Asian (where I drove by was a Chinese-y hood) supporters of Prop 8 inside the city of San Francisco, where most people oppose Prop 8. What really got my goat was you would think a minority group would support a civil right such as gay marriage. Just decades ago, a white person couldn’t even marry a Chinese person here. And in 2008 these minority supporters of Prop 8 want to deny that same right to another group of people. That was what was so illogical and disappointing to me. I never pick sides because of color or sex, but I have to say, this was embarrassing.

Hobbes, are you thumbs upping for Yes on Prop 8? Because right now, Yes is leading, which is thumbs down for me, but I just want to know whether you are supporting Prop 8? :s

I was thumbs-upping the exit polls Sullivan linked to indicating that people were saying “No” to Prop 8 by a 52-48 margin. I think it’s a terrible ballot measure, and was actually a little surprised and disappointed that the vote was even close in California. And now you tell me that “Yes” is actually leading? :astonished:

That sucks. :s

Thanks, Hobbes, I see. Yeah, the language is a tad confusing on Prop 8.

Yes, it’s at 41% reporting and still 52.3% Yes.

I’m slowly learning the rest of California is still quite conservative in social policies. I lived in Sackamental from April to August, then Warnut Creek from August to October, and I think those two cities are Yes on Prop 8. It’s very surprising, eh?

[quote=“914”]Thanks, Hobbes, I see. Yeah, the language is a tad confusing on Prop 8.

Yes, it’s at 41% reporting and still 52.3% Yes.

I’m slowly learning the rest of California is still quite conservative in social policies. I lived in Sackamental from April to August, then Warnut Creek from August to October, and I think those two cities are Yes on Prop 8. It’s very surprising, eh?[/quote]
Indeed. And still no pic of The Belly.

What!?
They’re allowing tarnishing of the bloodlines now?
Outrageous!

What!?
They’re allowing tarnishing of the bloodlines now?
Outrageous![/quote]
Muahahahha rubs hands together

The Chinese will take over the western world!

Power! :smiling_imp:

Ok, that was a silly post. Sorry. Couldn’t resist.

So yes is against gay marriage?

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]So yes is against gay marriage?

HG[/quote]

Correct.

[quote=“Hobbes”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]So yes is against gay marriage?

HG[/quote]

Correct.[/quote]
Right there is a problem. Yes = No and No = Yes. How difficult would it have been to say “Yes = Yes”, “No = No”?

Hopefully they’re tallying the big liberal cities last…

Didn’t look like it. According to SFGate.com, San Francisco was 98% reported already.

[quote=“Truant”][quote=“Hobbes”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]So yes is against gay marriage?

HG[/quote]

Correct.[/quote]
Right there is a problem. Yes = No and No = Yes. How difficult would it have been to say “Yes = Yes”, “No = No”?[/quote]

I agree that it’s a little confusing. If you want to know why it’s like that, it’s because the California Supreme Court ruled last spring that same sex couples had the right to get married. In other words, the status quo in California is that same-sex marriage is legal. So what the ballot measure is basically asking is “Do you want to change the status quo?” “Yes” means “Yes, I want to change the California constitution.” “No” means “No, I’m happy with the way things are right now.”

Chris: I hope you’re right. I’m still surprised that this is a close call. I guess 914 is right – there are many parts of California that I clearly just don’t know very well.