Prostitution in Taiwan

I heard there used to be a lively gigolo scene in Taipei.
What happened to dem boys???

Question: are there any objective grounds for stating that prostitution is wrong?

Sure, one can make a strong case that it’s wrong when the girl’s 15 years old, should be in school, is not old enough to understand the dangers, make a knowing choice about the line of work or protect herself from such dangers.

But what if the girl is 20 years old? Is it any more wrong than the men who work in coal mines in China and 168 of them, or whatever, will get killed in an explosion? Is it more wrong than the teenager working late at night in McDonalds when he should go home, do his homework and go to bed? Is it more wrong than me having to answer e-mails and write papers for my boss over the weekend although I’m theoretically not paid for that time? Why?

We’re all prostitutes in one way or another, aren’t we? It’s just that some of us sell our brains, some sell physical labor and some sell sexual services, depending on what one has to offer.

I realize some might feel well it’s different when a girl lets strangers violate her body, something that is supposed to be personal and sacred and meaningful, and she gets used and abused and it’s wrong and dangerous, etc. But isn’t that all a bunch of subjective morality? Seriously, is there any objective reason why sexual prostitutoin is worse than the coal miners in China?

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
We’re all prostitutes…[/quote]

You’re a lawyer, right? You would know!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

[quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]

You’re a lawyer, right? You would know![/quote]

And you served in the military, so you were a bigger prostitute than me. I don’t kiss ass like a soldier and I get to sleep in my own bed. :slight_smile:

Big deal, I’ve slept in your bed too.

Big deal, I’ve slept in your bed too.[/quote]

And you even let me get on top. . . but I thought you wanted to keep it a secret. :wink:

Seriously, though, is sexual prostitution worse than other forms of prostitution? Why?

Big deal, I’ve slept in your bed too.[/quote]

And you even let me get on top. . . but I thought you wanted to keep it a secret. :wink: [/quote]

:notworthy:

People who work in pubs are the biggest prostitutes of all. They have to sit around every night smiling and pretending that all those smelly, obnoxious drunks are actually witty, sophisticated charmers making interesting conversation.

Hell, I’d rather be one of those Tainan streetwalkers than work as a talking bar hostess in Taiwan.

Sounds alot like an adult english conversation class. :laughing:

I don’t really think so. Laws against prositution exist (I guess) because of religious intolerance of sex outside marriage. Adultery is also illegal in Taiwan.

Which brings me back to why you can’t post phone numbers of prositutes or addresses of brothels on this site (if you do, you may get banned). Sure you might say it’s technically illegal, but not really wrong, and obviously even the authorites don’t care about it, but Forumosa rules don’t allow posts telling readers how to commit crimes (or advertising the servies of criminals). If we were to be lenient about some crimes like tax evasion, prostitution dope smoking etc, where would draw the line? Easier to stick with the line drawn by the ROC government, whether we agree with it or not.

Brian

[quote=“Mother Theresa”][quote=“Comrade Stalin”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]

You’re a lawyer, right? You would know![/quote]

And you served in the military, so you were a bigger prostitute than me. I don’t kiss ass like a soldier and I get to sleep in my own bed. :slight_smile:[/quote]

You sleep in the bed that your client makes for you :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m not so sure about even the “technically” illegal part. Prostitution appears to be legal in Tainan and I’d wager the majority of Taiwan outside of Taipei. It’s certainly legal on Jinmen, where the Taiwan government itself provides “relief” for their weary soldier boys. Due to Ma’s policies, Taipei is a legal anomaly in Taiwan (and even there they have some legal brothels still available).

Sounds alot like an adult English conversation class. :laughing:[/quote]

damn U , I wanted to say that!!!

Prostitution is a noble and honest profession which provides a valuable and important service to many. Nothing more honest that shagging for cash and being up front about it.

Give hookers their rights!

Oh yes.

BroonAphrodisiac

[quote=“banshette”]I heard there used to be a lively gigolo scene in Taipei.
What happened to dem boys???[/quote]I’m free

It started under Chen Shuibian.

As far as I recall, the last legal brothels in Taibei City were ‘shut down’ in 2001~2002.

atimes.com/China/DB02Ad01.html says January 2002 is the month the Taiwanese discovered sex. Reading the above quote, I wonder when Americans will discover sex. The Taipei Police Chief told the mayor that its legal. So I am telling you that its legal. Visualize a post-Puritan era. Or as the Aussies (where prostitution is legal) say to me, I’m bloody glad we got the convicts and you got the Puritans. Its legal. Get over it. We can and should talk about it. Here. Now. While it lasts. Before US moral hegemony blinds us.

In light of the fact that it is not illegal to buy sex in Taiwan, only to sell it, discussing on Forumosa buying sex is entirely legal. So could someone post those phone numbers for buying sex again? Of course, discussion of selling sex should not be allowed and should be swiftly censored, I mean, moderated. Any such discussion here should be no more illegal than the Japanese book Paradise in Taiwan, which as far as I can tell sells briskly.

-Big Jim

But where is the line drawn?

Advertising whone numbers saying that you can buy sex there?

As far as i remember, all the publications from Taipei Times down offering massage or whatever it is, are never mentioning sex as such. All you get is a “sensual massage” or whatever, but well you have to be a big idiot not to get the hidden message…

so I would say posting something like a good NT$999 screw will be yours if you cal 092X XXX XXX might be in violation.

But then again, it might not be illegal to advertise the trading of sex as such, but only illegal when money actually changes hands.

[quote=“Mr He”]But where is the line drawn?

Advertising whone numbers saying that you can buy sex there?

As far as I remember, all the publications from Taipei Times down offering massage or whatever it is, are never mentioning sex as such. All you get is a “sensual massage” or whatever, but well you have to be a big idiot not to get the hidden message…

so I would say posting something like a good NT$999 screw will be yours if you cal 092X XXX XXX might be in violation.

But then again, it might not be illegal to advertise the trading of sex as such, but only illegal when money actually changes hands.[/quote]

They call this ‘special massage’, and it cost around 2000NT$. Only for massage + hand job. I don

2000NT$ for a hand job :noway: .

OK, so someone jerking you off and might end up with a bit of body fluid on her hands for 10 minutes will get NT$2k for her handiwork??? :help: