Provocation 5: Genocide and cloning?

Many groups of people have been exterminated due to genocide and epidemics? No traces are left of them and as a result the world is a poorer place. Up to now most people have said that it is regretable that it took place but that nothing can be done to redress the problem. Now, however, we have cloning that could be used to regenerate those who have disappeared. People are actually trying to do that with the Mammoth, why not people?

If you cloned a homo sapiens of a vanished culture (somehow), you’d just get a homo sapiens. We already have plenty of those. He wouldn’t have any of his ‘culture’.

Brian

That’s not very provocative. Just poorly thought out. :s

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]If you cloned a homo sapiens of a vanished culture (somehow), you’d just get a homo sapiens. We already have plenty of those. He wouldn’t have any of his ‘culture’.

Brian[/quote]

There’s no way of being sure about it.

Hmmm, by implicating that you can clone a specific culture back in existence, you are saying that culture is somehow stored in the genes.

I am no expert on this matter, however anectodical evidence points toward this not being the case. You can take a chinese baby, let him/her grow up in Europe in a European family, and you will end up with a European with a Chinese face. 2 members of my family fits this picture, with the only difference being that they are of ethnic Korean origin.

I certainly do believe that any person of sound mind can achieve almost anything he or she sets his/her mind on, but I do wonder if some of the things I do are not preprogrammed? Remember that evolution has not come to a stop.