Prudential Vietnam Fund

The minimum for this fund is 100K US. Is that right?

Aside from this, anyone have a handy list of emerging markets funds/index (better) that include Vietnam?

And this is cool too:[quote]
Taiwanese-owned granite tile and ceramic producer Taicera will sell five million shares in November in a move to prepare for listing on Vietnam’s stock market.

The shares, which equal 16.67 per cent of its more than 30 million shares in total, will be sold to the public, strategic investors and employees, a source from Saigon Securities Company (SSI), the consultant for the Dong Nai province-based company, said last week.
More than 3.9 million shares will be sold to the public via auction with the floor price of VND25,000 ($1.56) per share, with 600,100 shares to strategic investors via private placement at VND25,000 each and the remainder to its employees at discount of 30 per cent on the reference auction price. [/quote]
vir.com.vn/Client/VIR/index. … sp&cate=53

but again, the question is: How do schmoes like us get in on this? Are ANY Vietnamese stocks/fund/indexes listed in the free world, outside of the VOF.L?

It might be possible that the bank invests and then allows their customers to buy a piece of the big chunk (for yet another fee I guess).

It might be possible that the bank invests and then allows their customers to buy a piece of the big chunk (for yet another fee I guess).[/quote]

I wanna be a bank when I grow up! :laughing:

I have wanted to get into Vietnam for years and now I’m all excited again. lol

Found this:[quote]
How to invest in Vietnam
So how do you get on board? Well, it’s still not easy for private investors to invest in Vietnam directly, but luckily enough, you don’t have to - there are several London-listed funds that can give you the exposure you need.
Aim-listed Vietnam Holdings b focuses on the privatisation of state-owned companies, while Vietnamese investment bank VinaCapital manages the Vietnam Opportunity Fund (VOF), which focuses on plays on domestic consumer spending growth; and VinaLand (VNL), a Vietnamese real estate fund.[/quote]
money.uk.msn.com/Investing/Insig … /Moneyweek
/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1421698

more exploring to do! :smiley:

Guys the Pru fund is US$100k minimum until Monday, then they list on the Irish exchange and you can buy individual units just like shares.

MT I take the corruption charges personally! :laughing: actually I wouldn’t touch Vina for exactly that reason. Also the Vietnam stock exchange is definitely a little suspect, but probably no worse than say erm Taiwan! Bear in mind that the Pru fund is investing in exactly the same instruments as our Life fund, government bonds, land and equities so it is a reasonable spread of assets and all of them are expected to do well.

In truth Vietnam is a punt, whatever you invest in there but until now us little guys have had no opportunity to spin the wheel. I say put a grand or two in and leave it there. If not this fund then one of the next 2 or 3 to come along. It’ll be an exciting ride and could form a chunk of your retirement money.

[quote=“Edgar Allen”]Guys the Pru fund is US$100k minimum until Monday, then they list on the Irish exchange and you can buy individual units just like shares.
.[/quote]

What’s the ticker gonna be?

And should be able to get some through the Nas, right?

I should have put this up in the original post. This might have helped answer some early questions. If I find out the ticker symbol, I’ll post it here

PRUDENTIAL VIETNAM MUTUAL FUND

Brief Summary

• Invests in companies in various stages of growth (ie listed companies/OTC, privatisation and private equity) in Vietnam though the majority of the fund will be in listed securities.

• Fund denominated in USD.

• Target return: 15%-20% per year over a rolling 3 year period.

Key Investment Proposition

• Opening of the markets (economic and capital) in Vietnam and entry to WTO.

• Vietnamese government is committed to market reforms and they look to China as an example of the benefits of such reforms.

• Strong branding and global expertise of the Prudential insurance and asset management group. The investment team is locally based and leverage off the insurance business where Prudential is one of the largest players in Vietnam. They are also currently the largest foreign fund manager (assets of almost US$800mn) and are the only one with a local license to operate in Vietnam.

• Strong expected growth in the capital markets in Vietnam where market cap is expected to grow over 6-fold to U$25bn in 2010 from the current US$4+bn.

• Daily liquidity available as a traded security.

• Opportunity to enter the market at NAV whereas competitive Vietnam-focused funds are trading at significant premiums currently.

Key risks

• Long investment horizon of at least 4-5 years.

• The current limited listed investment opportunities in Vietnam due to small market capitalization, though this is expected to increase with more IPO’s and privatizations over the next 6-12 months.

• Targeted returns are different from a pure private equity fund and are dependent on the fund managers making the asset allocation decisions between the various asset classes.

• Performance fees may affect targeted returns though this is usual market practice for Vietnam-focused funds.

• Market risk associated with investing in emerging market securities.

TERMS

Closing date: 18 Dec 2006

Settlement: 20 Dec 2006

Expected listing: 28 Dec 2006

Place of listing: Irish Stock Exchange

Targeted fund size: US$ 200mn on closing and expected to be US$300mn by end of 2007.

Structure: Closed-ended fund

Tenure: 7 years from allotment (which is expected to be 19 Dec)

NAV frequency: Monthly valuation (first fund NAV will be end Jan 2007)

Starting NAV: US$10

Dealing frequency: Daily and traded like a listed stock (subject to market making)

Minimum investment: US$100k (in incremental of US$100k)

Front end charge: 2%

IAR: Currently not available – no loanable ratio

Performance fee: 20% over a minimum 8% return per year hurdle (cumulative every year)

Note that upon listing, it will be traded like a stock and transactions (both subscription and redemption) will be executed via the EQUITY DESK. Do continue to contact the FUNDS DESK for more information (eg factsheet) on the fund after the listing.

Just a little bit more information to share. I still haven’t heard what the ticker will be in Ireland

What are the other Vietnam focused funds that are trading at a premium? Could you give an indication of the fund size and who are the fund managers and their experience? Where are these listed?

Currently, the London AIM-listed Vietnam fund (Vietnam Opport. Fund) we track loosely is managed by a boutique manager, Vina Capital. While they are located in Vietnam, they currently do not have an investment management license from the local Vietnam regulators. There are only 6 licenses given out and Prudential has one of them.

The Vina fund’s market cap is now over U$800mn since it was launched over 3yr ago. There was no recognized global fund manager managing Vietnam funds till this week when Deutsche listed theirs (we did due diligence on them and decided not to participate). The Vina Vietnam fund is now trading at 40+% premium.

How much of the Usd200 Mln is *********** subscribing? Would this be subject to cut down like an IPO?

I have negotiated to get full allocation for subscriptions put in as of now (end of business day today 15 Dec). As the closing is next Monday, I expect the other distributors to show their full amount then. That is where I cannot guarantee full allocation for orders put in next Monday and these may be subject to partial allocation. But Prudential has also indicated that they may increase the size to US$250mn if demand is strong (which I expect it to be).

This may be of interest: Big players on the stock market

VN Government bonds going at 10%

Look what I found:

Prudential Vietnam Fund

DWS Vietnam Fund

Hm, a new outbreak of bird flu and the market drops nearly 4% in a day. Coincidence?

Had placed an order last night for a certificate but cancelled it this morning. Let’s see how it goes tomorrow …

Lingchen, I am curious and hope you don’t mind me asking: did you invest in that fund?

Things are looking good, stock market dropped a bit at the end of last year but now is on the rise again. :slight_smile:

Hello every one

As I know there are two Vietnam fund in the world.

One is Prudential ,one is Black Milif fund.

But I can’t find where can buy that in Taiwan.

Could anyone tell me how to buy that?

Thanks a lot

Richie

[quote=“RichieChen”]Hello every one

As I know there are two Vietnam fund in the world.

One is Prudential ,one is Black Milif fund.[/quote]
Here a few I know of, in no particular order and not necessarily complete:

DWS Vietnam Fund Ltd. (ISIN: KYG2886W1078)
PXP Vietnam Fund LTX (ISIN: KYG7301W1033)
Vietnam Growth Fund Ltd. (ISIN: KYG9361F1110)
Vietnam Opportunity Fund Ltd. (ISIN: KYG9361G1010)
Prudential Vietnam Fund

[quote]But I can’t find where can buy that in Taiwan.

Could anyone tell me how to buy that?[/quote]
Those funds trade at some stock exchange, typically London, Irland or NASDAQ.
You should ask your bank/broker if you want to buy one of them.

vietsep ky [go] in Bloomberg

Nav hasn’t updated yet since end of Dec

I picked up 10,000 shares in the offering

[quote=“Lingchen”]Vietnam was 2006’s 2nd fastest growing economy, and the country is still consistently regarded as moving fast to surpass its ASEAN neighbors as a major investment destination.

[/b][/quote]
How about in 2007?
The stocks about Vietnam is hot in Taiwan.
I dont know if there is any Vietnam fund in Taiwan.But I am interested in it.

OK, seeing all these funds is making me cry because I can’t find ANY of them listed on the Naz. Can someone give me a link to vietnam fund traded on the US market?

fertheloveofpete?

JD The US has literally only just normalised trade relations with Vietnam which may be why you can’t find anything traded through the US. I’ll do a search and see if I can find an international broker who trades the Irish exchange.

Edit:

Ok try these guys.
www.goodbody.ie

Contact Details
Telephone: 1 850 64 74 84

Let me know how you get on.

ISE (Irish Stock Exchange):

PXP Vietnam Fund Limited
DWS Vietnam Fund Limited
Vietnam Growth Fund

LSE (London Stock Exchange):
VOF VIETNAM OPPORTUNITY FUND LD ORD $0.01

The VOF is also listed on NASDAQ as VTOPF.