Psychiatrist in Kaohsiung

Hey guys, do anyone know good psychiatrist in Kaoshiung? Preferably cheap and English speaking. I have NHI if that’s matters. I dont really need councelling, I just need pills. The war messed me up really badly. Thank you.

1 Like

They have one at every major hospital…

NHI only pays for psychiatric stuff, not counseling, so it will turn out much cheaper.

1 Like

Oh, I see. But it doesn’t look like every major hospital has English speaking doctor, no?

The bigger hospitals will have english speaking doctors. Doctors generally speak english because either they got their degrees in the states, or that doctors have to study english generally.

2 Likes

Try the Kaohsiung Medical University Hospital in San Min District, but near the south end of Zuoying. On ZiYou 1st Rd.
Over the years, been to all kinds of departments there for myself, wife, and kids to know that the doctors’ English is on at least a level or higher to have a medical discussion with a foreigner. Quality very good.

5 Likes

Thanks. Do you know if i just show up there or I need to register first?

You can register online. See if it has English website. I know my wife has used its Chinese website to set up pre-appointment time slots. They’ll give a rough estimate of when to come, I think.
Otherwise, you can show up, and go to Help/Information desk. They can get you an appointment, but you most likely have to wait. If the # is high, you can always leave, have a meal or something, go to 7-Eleven on the kitty-corner, or whatever, until your # roughly comes up.

Edit: second link is Psychiatry with doctor times.

https://www.kmuh.org.tw/english/Appointment/index.asp

https://www.kmuh.org.tw/english/Appointment/VHPR012ct3.asp

The only hiccup for online is in case you have never been there and they do not have a patient file on you. I am only guessing if that will happen.
If it keeps giving an error, then just show up in person with NHI card.

1 Like

Thank you, uoi helped a lot

I have no personal experience with them, but Dr. Tang did his fellowship at NYU and University of London, so he should speak English.

1 Like

I can vouch for this chap, his English is very good.

1 Like

Thank you

Make sure he does NHI though unless you like paying American prices for healthcare. There are doctors here that don’t do NHI.

Got it, thank you.

They do accept NHI:

Registration fee: NT$150
Copay: NT$50
Prescription copay: 20% up to NT$200

Source: 唐子俊診所.高雄身心科.焦慮憂鬱失眠的專家.藥物及心理治療 - 唐子俊診所 高雄憂鬱焦慮失眠 心理諮商 RTMS 治療專家

oh. Nice. Then I will go there. Thanks

I can confirm that based from “inside knowledge”. I used to know their staff personally, some doctors and even some nurses speak excellent english and are partly trained/educated abroad.

2 Likes

I’d say the counseling wouldn’t be a bad idea either. Have you tried it in a civilian setting?

I tried the free one from my uni lst semester. It was good, it prevented me from immidiate harm to myself. But now I don’t think i have enough mental recources to do it.

2 Likes

That’s great to hear. Long term strategies for dealing with trauma take time to build up. Hope you don’t close the door on therapy. You may need it when stuff bubbles up from time to time.

4 Likes

Even without NHI it would be a lot cheaper than American prices