Psychology of Trolling

From the link Drangon Bs posted:

[quote=“www.teamtechnology.co.uk”]
Dealing with trolls

When dealing with suspected trolls, there are various strategies that you can employ. First of all, remember that just because you suspect that someone is a troll, it doesn’t mean that they are a troll; also, just because you suspect someone is genuine, it doesn’t mean that they are genuine. In view of this, the best tactics are:
[ul] [li] ignore postings that you suspect may be from trolls.[/li]
[li]don’t invest any of your self emotionally until you have verified beyond all doubt that the person you are dealing with is genuine[/li]
[li]beware of off list emails [PMs] that praise and flatter, or seem to evoke sympathy. If you feel yourself beginning to like someone, ask first: how much verifiable data do I have about them?[/li]
[li]if you do get involved in anyone, seek out verifiable data. Trolls will provide some data that will lead to dead ends; real people will provide some data that is open-ended and leads to a myriad of sources which enable you to verify their genuine status[/li]
[li]if you must respond to a troll posting, don’t get involved in the argument; limit it to pointing out that the posting may be considered as trollish, for the benefit of other list members.[/li]
[li]Write to the listmaster (Admin/Mod) to highlight what is happening[/li]
[li]Write to the postmaster of the troll’s domain. Keep it simple, polite and to the point (they are very busy!). Include your evidence (e.g.: offensive emails) and the full email header information, so that the troll can be properly traced.[/li]
[li]Listmasters can also make their lists restricted, and conduct a security analysis of each list application before allowing them to subscribe. This is probably easier to do in areas that have professional associations or qualifications.[/li][/ul][/quote]

Only bolded the last one because it’s something to think about. I think it was Dave’s ESL cafe where I had to write a brief message about why I wanted to join the forum and be granted access. Don’t know if it’s better or worse (for us) but food for thought non the less.

I’d like to weigh in here on the meaning of Troll. I think the ones posted up so far are meaningful and helpful. A historical look at what troll, trolling is will help a lot.

The definitive definition of troll IMO:

[quote=“The Jargon File”]troll

1. v.,n. [From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase

Mmm. Wasn’t my intention, but in retrospect I agree it was a poor call; I’ve deleted the examples, thanks.

You lost me. What’s “warming up the post” anyway? I would welcome your suggestions on netiquette by PM if I’ve slipped somewhere. :sunglasses:

Yes, they were suggested merely as warning flags. Ideology should not even BE a flag, of course. But a few well-known trolls jump right in and do nothing but scream that ideology repeatedly, often in inappropriate places and inappropriate ways.

I don’t consider ideology which opposes mine as trolling. I welcome it, if it’s presented in a constructive manner (which it rarely is), and tolerate it if it’s presented unconstructively but sincerely and in an atmosphere of mutual respect, in the right thread.

But when people post in flame-baiting style, whether they agree or disagree with my ideology, I consider them to be trolling. And when, within 3 days of joining the forum, they openly threaten to dig up personal info on others, and visit their doorstep, and cause harm to their forum, then that should set off flags, no?

[quote=“Roach”]
It seems that in Hatch’s case he was not identified as a troll which ultimately lead to the delay in dealing with him. Maybe, there’s enough information here to help mods identify and thus quickly deal with trolling posters like Hatch in the future.
[/quote]Sorry if I’m a bit late to reply. I missed this one or maybe I was unable to respond at the time.

I’m sure you’re happy to see that my spelling and grammar have improved. :sunglasses:

All that to say that saying “be nice” was not that bad at all in the end. Actually, it almost looks like what I was saying is exactly what admin has tried to achieve here. Something along the lines of “do not address the messenger”. I couldn’t post a thing without being labelled a troll, a liar, mentally challenged, etc while all I was saying all along is it’s wrong and it’s against the rules. I was arguing for respect and civility on this site and I should be handed a fucking medal.

When is the last time a newbie posted a bitter thread? Newbies are welcomed nowadays on Forumosa and this site has become more friendly. Fair enough, some people left and some people say it’s more boring than it used to be but AFAIK, the last thing this site needs is a bunch of tough guys who can posts insults, have fun doing it while labelling a troll the guy who simply says “be nice”. :loco:

Care to call me a troll again? :wink: I didn’t think so, you’d get flamed or floundered swiftly but yet this thread is still archived so obviously “some” rules did not really apply to everyone at the time. [quote]Do not publicly accuse another member of this message board of being a disruptor, troll, conservative, liberal or any other labels used in a negative sense.[/quote]

The OP used hatch’s name and labelled him a troll and this thread is still archived??! Hence why I was always fighting with people who offered the same kind of compliments. The problem was that I kept getting flamed or floundered when blatant rules transgressions such as this thread were accepted.

Note to the open forum mods:I think the OP is in transgression of the rules and he/she should be flamed or floundered.

“And that’s all I have to say about that.”

hatch

In this case, you’re grave digging, which makes you not a troll, but something else entirely. Therefore, I call thee…

“Ghoul.”

:wink:

Bob, I really do not know why you dug this fossil up. I would say that hatch and Bobepine are vastly dissimilar.

Hatch was very much on edge at that time, and bobepine is loose as a goose.

I for one prefer it this way.

jds
:rainbow:

Grave digger, troll, liar, troubled – all these labels would be accurate desciptions of our poutine-eating poster named Bobepine-Hatch, wouldn’t they? :smiling_imp: :wink:

I’d only add the Merriam-Webster sense of the word:

Sounds like there might be some Freudian psychology at work there after all… :smiley:

[quote=“BroonAle”]

[quote=“Roach”]

[/quote][/quote]

I don’t know about the intelligent part, but I know that my grammar/syntax/punctuation/spelling can rather atrocious. Could I be a p/t troller? :ponder: :smiley: :laughing: (and I am talking about moi in this post)

[quote=“miltownkid”]From the link Drangon Bs posted:

[quote=“www.teamtechnology.co.uk”]
Dealing with trolls

beware of off list emails [PMs] that praise and flatter, or seem to evoke sympathy[/quote][/quote]

Uhm … I’ve sent you two PMs without any response from you. :s

One forum’s troll is another forum’s moderator.

I’m not a mod.

[quote=“jdsmith”]Bob, I really do not know why you dug this fossil up. I would say that hatch and Bobepine are vastly dissimilar.

jds
:rainbow:[/quote]

It wasn’t bobm jd, it was Roach who dug this up. If you mean, dug up=started this thread.

[quote=“Jaboney”]In this case, you’re grave digging, which makes you not a troll, but something else entirely. Therefore, I call thee…

“Ghoul.”

:wink:[/quote]I had to look up “Ghoul”… That’s low Sir. :stuck_out_tongue:

In all due respect, this is what I read: [quote=“The Rules”]Gravedigging is spam. Replying to old topics is spam
if
you have nothing substantial to add to the topic and are just doing it to bring the topic back up to the top. Gravedigging replies may be floundered or deleted.[/quote]

I think that my post gave some perspective as to how things changed around Forumosa. That’s quite substantial. Enough to bring the topic up again, especially since the OP states that he posted this thread with intentions related to Forumosa’s well being… :sunglasses:

Besides that, you need to give me credit because I was unable to reply at the time this thread was started.

On a positive note, I like what has been done with the place and I find it more welcoming and friendlier compared to only a year ago. It’s good to see. :bravo:

And ChewySir, there’s nothing wrong with poutine Calice. :wink:

bobepine

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“jdsmith”]Bob, I really do not know why you dug this fossil up. I would say that hatch and Bobepine are vastly dissimilar.

jds
:rainbow:[/quote]

It wasn’t bobm jd, it was Roach who dug this up. If you mean, dug up=started this thread.[/quote]

[quote]
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:41 pm [/quote]

That was when Roach started this thread.

Bobepine dug it up today.

jd is right, I dug it up… Here’s a tune I find is a nice closure for this thread…

[quote=“Tom Waits”]
well i come in on a night train
with an arm full of box cars
on the wings of a magpie
cross a hooligan night
and i busted up a chifforobe
way out by the cocomo
cooked up a mess a mulligan
and got into a fight

whistlin past the graveyard
steppin on a crack
i’m a mean motherhubbard