Pubba moves to Taiwan - now with added whining!

Many people here think ‘oh well’ when they see an animal hit. I get chased down by people on my scooter, because they want to tell me that my headlight is on during the day.(I always keep it on)

It’s like safety isn’t really an issue here. Just look out for kids on motorcycles without helmets(and the sicko parents who wear the helmets instead).

I live near Wulai…actually woke up at 5am on Sat mornin and did a 14km walk to that area and back. Was fun…except that I walked on the road…with all the Saturday nite scooter gangs racing like mad.

Taiwan rocks…glad that youre having a good time.

Pubba, hide that pic of your lady. If Sandman sees it he’ll be trying to talk you into one more wife-swapping. His wife, John J, is far too svelt and lithe for his Scottish tastes.

Oh, and your phone number is not much use to me if you don’t answer the bloody thing.

I was going to edit that tyop, but I kind of like it as is. Truth is beauty, therefore beauty is truth, and that line has a certain aesthetic appeal.

Many, but not all, and if my friends thought like that, well, they wouldn’t be my friends for long. I’ve had short friendships with lots of Taiwanese in my years here for the simple reason that their values were unacceptable to me. Certain issues, like caring for animals and not littering, are non-negotiable. Don’t take the cultural relativism route; you’ll regret it.

A chubby Russell Crowe lookalike with a goofy grin in Shida night market on Sunday night! That was YOU? Didn’t you notice when I tried to hit you with my car? I would have got you a good clip, too, if it hadn’t been for that stupid kid on his scooter getting in my way.

Sandman you crazy scotsman… you run over me AFTER I give you your VIZ fix, ok? :laughing:

Had another fun day today, but am missing my work back home. Will have to be rude and explain to my hosts that I cant spend too long sightseeing…

Went for my first wobbly scooter ride tonight to a Shabu Shabu restaurant (yummy!) and also updated my crappy wardrobe at a night market in (fffuck i forget the name already…)

Have another full day planned for Tuesday and then heading to Taichung on Wednesday - not sure how long I will stay there yet…

tmwc - My apologies for the phone situation. Its one of those ridiculous bulky taiwanese models with media player, touch screen, blaring ring tone and colour screen. My old one back home used to last at least 4 days on a single charge… No such luck with this new one :slight_smile:

Its all charged again now - so try me tomorrow ok? Looking forward to chatting with you :slight_smile:

[quote=“pubba”]Tommy this is the girl that they have following me around…

To be fair, she is a fantastic Chinese teacher. If I get the pronunciation right, she hollers the correct way at me until I am beaten into submission :laughing:

And she doesnt let any of those annoying pretty girls get their mitts on me either - god bless her :wink:

I think in the inifinite wisdom of my Taiwanese friends, they thought we would hit it off, because hey! Im a chubby guy so why not? A match made in heaven!

Wulai was beautiful - I love the diversity of the terrain here. One minute we were in choking traffic, negotiating freeways, and the next we were winding up a mountain, looking down on small dams and lush green forests

Still not brave enough to try a scooter yet… Im amazed at the elegant way in which people weave in and out of traffic, millimetres away from certain death… Its like watching a school of fish darting in and out of a coral reef. Incredible!

I didnt realise that the beggars are part of a bigger group, but have been told early on not to give them any money…

Saw a dog get hit by a car yesterday which is still doing my head in. I miss my dogs more than anything else that I left behind in Australia… Nobody else seemed phased at all when it happened, and I think this will take a while to get accustomed to :frowning:

Havent gone to 101 yet, the people im staying with just went out to a market to buy food for lunch. Hopefully will hit the town this afternoon :slight_smile:[/quote]

HAHAHAA fell off my chair laughing. BUT SORRY , not to be NON PC (politically correct ) or anything but…

People shouldnt be judged by looks alone and theres always a lid no matter how black the pot and all that but… But that reminds me NEVER to be set up by anyone. I MEAN Taiwan has cute chicks crawling out of the woodwork !!! And they even love chubby gringos too (thank God)

edit : oh OH , didnt read bout the dog getting hit. THAT IS SOOOOOOOOOOO SAD. Iv lived in taiwan many years and thank God i have not seen that happen often at all.

ya taiwan is scooter crazy to say the least. You should pop by and drop in on MORDETH 13. he lives in chongli and is a crackpot scooter and moto rider !! the dudes a blast. get in touch with him via youtube or on forumosa. That’ll teach ya bout scoots

taiwanese have mixed feelings bout stray dogs. Everyone knows that if they get taken to the pound they just bout have a death sentence put on them. So there are not many dog catchers cuz the general public hates them. So what happens is that a lot of the lucky strays get adopted by a neighorhood. LIke my friends cafe area? There were 4 strays that hung out there. And people pitched in to take them to the vet, get them their shots, give them a bath and feed them and give them water. So these are the lucky strays. the unlucky ones get mange and then are just left to their own devises. These are the sad ones that the people hope get picked up by the dog catchers. Stray dogs are a big problem in Taiwan. NObody really knows what to do. They need neutering, licenses, microchips. and yes strays do need to be taken off the streets if they are not adopted and taken care of. because otherwise they live a life of pain.

Hi Tommy…

Yes I know its rude to criticise others when Im not exactly Bradd Pitt myself. I have dated all sorts of girls, fat, thin, inbetween… But none of them have been so bombastic and downright belligerent as my ‘minder’ :slight_smile:

The stray dogs are certainly something that will take time to get used to. I plan on volunteering my services or donation to one of the local dog charities here, to help out my conscience I guess…

Im a big fan of Mordeths videos on youtube :slight_smile: That guy has huge balls! Not sure if I could ever be that skilled or daring on 2 wheels though…

Being Travel mod and all, I wonder WHY is this in “Travel?”

Anyone object if I moves it to Living in Taiwan?

edit: No? Good. It’s done. :slight_smile:

Sorry jdsmith :s

Originally this thread was about visiting Taiwan, but as plans often do - everything has changed :slight_smile: Hopefully for the better :wink:

Looking forward to going to Taichung tomorrow and Tainan for the weekend

[quote=“pubba”]Looking forward to going to …Tainan for the weekend[/quote]Pubba -
Do call first. Tainan may be closed this week-end.
We do it occasionally so we can clean the furniture and do the laundry…:wink:

:laughing:

This is what I know of Tainan… Tell me if its true or not ok?

• The cab drivers ask if you want ‘Taiwan girl?’
  • There are lots of temples
  • Its hot

Ill be staying in a place called ‘Matou’ ? And getting to and from Tainan on the train. Hope to get some good photos of the famous temples that Tainan are known for :slight_smile:

This is what I know of Tainan… Tell me if its true or not ok?

• The cab drivers ask if you want ‘Taiwan girl?’[color=blue] - Never had that happen - urban myth.[/color]
  • There are lots of temples - [color=blue]You are darn skippy about that. An amazing number of Temples. Everywhere.[/color]1
  • Its hot - [color=blue]Not now. Its quite nice to almost cool[/color]

Ill be staying in a place called ‘Matou’ ? And getting to and from Tainan on the train. Hope to get some good photos of the famous temples that Tainan are known for :slight_smile:[/quote]Tainan is also very famous for its food. Snacks shops/stands are everywhere. Be hungry!

No problem on the hungry part :wink: The food here in Taiwan is INCREDIBLE!

Although I have had a case of ‘Taipei Belly’ today, I think the risk is well worth it :wink:

Looking forward to getting away from this horrible smog fog here in Taipei. Surely this cant be good for the health of the local residents? No amount of convenience or money would force me to live here long term… wow…

Hey. My boyfriend has a show at riverside cafe www.riverside.com.tw wed night. If you get bored, come out.

Hi Suchafob, thanks for the invite! I think I will spend the next few weeks in Taichung. But when I come back, Ill send you a pm and see if he is playing any gigs around town.

Love live music! All sorts too :slight_smile:

PS: Have you heard about that Santa job yet? heh

PM Stray Dog, or email Sean[dot]AnimalsTaiwan[at]gmail[dot]com; or visit www.AnimalsTaiwan.org.