Public Holidays 2009

I was just looking at the list of taiwan’s public holidays this year:

1-3 Jan Founding of the Republic of China and New Year’s Day.
26-28 Jan Chinese New Year.
28 Feb Peace Memorial Day.
5 Apr Tomb-Sweeping Day.
1 May Labour Day.
28 May (5th day, 5th moon) Dragon Boat Festival.
3 Oct (15th day, 8th moon) Mid-Autumn Moon Festival.
10 Oct National Day.

3 of them fall on a saturday, does anyone know if any of these will be pushed onto the following monday?

I wish I still lived in SA! Look at our public holidays…that’s the good thing about having a bad past…

1 Jan New Year’s Day.
21 Mar Human Rights Day.
10 Apr Good Friday.
13 Apr Family Day.
27 Apr Freedom Day.
1 May Workers’ Day.
16 Jun Youth Day.
9 Aug National Women’s Day.
24 Sep Heritage Day.
16 Dec Day of Reconciliation.
25 Dec Christmas Day.
26 Dec Day of Goodwill.

Nope, unless new legislation comes up pretty soon.

Thank you, Chen Shui-bian. :raspberry: Enjoy your jail time!

Dragon Boat Festival falls on a Thursday so the Friday will also be a day off. Although some people will have to work on another Saturday to make up for it.

That’ll be May 28th. After that, looooooong wait until Chinese New Year… :astonished: :cry:

We are not laborers, so we do not get May 1st off. Rest, as Crimpster said, fall on weekends. :raspberry:

[quote=“crimpster”]I was just looking at the list of Taiwan’s public holidays this year:

1-3 Jan Founding of the Republic of China and New Year’s Day.
26-28 Jan Chinese New Year.
28 Feb Peace Memorial Day.
5 Apr Tomb-Sweeping Day.
1 May Labour Day.
28 May (5th day, 5th moon) Dragon Boat Festival.
3 Oct (15th day, 8th moon) Mid-Autumn Moon Festival.
10 Oct National Day.

3 of them fall on a saturday, does anyone know if any of these will be pushed onto the following monday?[/quote]

If you are lucky they will be…

and then you can make up those Mondays off on the following Saturday/Sunday :s

Welcome to the Island of the Big Boss… what’s worse is Taiwanese just keep taking it up the backend.

[quote=“crimpster”]I was just looking at the list of Taiwan’s public holidays this year:

5 Apr Tomb-Sweeping Day.[/quote]

Can someone then tell why everybody goes to the tomb april 4th?
:ponder:

I"m not sure on this but families will choose slightly different days due to convenience. BTW, not ALL Taiwanese have tomb sweeping day on April 4th, Hakka people had theirs a full month ago and there is notably no day off for them.

Taiwan’s gov’t attitude is- ‘Public holidays…that’s for the little people’. I think it illustrates neatly how the DPP and the KMT are beholden to big business first and everything else second. Only suckers think they are any different really. People are economic units which must be squeezed dry. In fact if you take your leave that you are entitled to you you also have a good chance to be fired by other pretexts -

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2009/03/25/2003439332