Public Library / Privately Owned Book Shop

Hi

Are there any public libraries in Taipei, if so, can you guys tell me where it is and how can I apply for a library card?? Do they have lots of selection of books?? (literatures or maybe English books?)

I know there are private own book shop where you can rent books / comics / magz / love story books when you put a deposit of certain among of money. But I am actually looking for some literature books, especially books by

The best bet might be the National Central Library.
It is the building facing the main entrance to the Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall. Last I was in there, you could enter with a passport. Getting a library card is easy, though.
For me, the most interesting is the magazine section. They have a lot of interesting stuff including academic journals.
National Central Library

I don’t think you can actually borrow books from the National Library though.

If you want to borrow, go to the Public Library on Jianguo S Road, just up from the corner of Heping E Rd, facin Da-an Park.

brian

There are also plenty of branch libraries scattered throughout Taipei.

Does anyone know if it is possible to request that the libraries in Taipei buy certain books for their collections? Perhaps the better word would be recommend.

I seem to remember someone telling me that it is possible to do this. Now, I am not sure if the libraries are able to honor all of these suggestions, but it might be a good way to improve the quality of the English section in many of the libraries (or just add interesting books).

Don’t get me wrong–I like the randomness of the English sections in many of the libraries. It’s like browsing through a quirky used bookstore. I never know what I will find next.

While we’re on the subject, does anyone know how the library selects which books will be part of the library’s collection? Is this the job of the librarian? The acquistions department?

I love libraries but I am woefully lacking in knowledge about them. But I do think that the libraries in Taipei–both the one Wolf mentioned and the other one on Jianguo and some of the small branches-- are great.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]If you want to borrow, go to the Public Library on Jianguo S Road, just up from the corner of Heping E Rd, facin Da’an Park.
[/quote]

Miaka,

If you want a card at this library, just show them your ARC or passport. I got my card in a matter of minutes, no fuss. They also have thousands of movies you can borrow. And the view, from the cafeteria (I think it’s on the 11th floor) of Da’an Park and west Taipei is quite good.

Thanks for all the information so far, I will def. have to check it out!!

So all I have to bring is a passport for me to get a library card?? Wow, that is easy… They don’t need to take a picture of me or anything??? To keep it on file in case I never return the books/ tapes… :wink:

[quote=“MiakaW”]Thanks for all the information so far, I will def. have to check it out!!

So all I have to bring is a passport for me to get a library card?? Wow, that is easy… They don’t need to take a picture of me or anything??? To keep it on file in case I never return the books/ tapes… :wink:[/quote]

They didn’t ask me for a picture. You can take books out for a month (at least you could the last time I went). I was wrong about the cafeteria – it’s on the 9th floor.

There is also no late fee for returning books after one month. I even borrowed some travel books for most of the whole summer during my vacation to Europe.

The only penalty is that you are barred from checking out books for a time period equalling the amount of time that the books were late. Not really a big punishment if you ask me.

I got a pic on my card, but then again, I only have a visitors card and am not allowed to borrow books…=(

Oh, so you were the one who was hogging the travel books. Just joking, but perhaps you might want to remember that other people might also want to read the books you’ve borrowed.

I don’t think you should boast about borrowing books for “most of the whole summer vaction.”

Right. So please don’t take advantage of this. How about trying to read the books you borrow within a month’s time and then return the books so that others can read them??!

Bring some pics in case.
My library card has a pic, but then I got it 14 years ago (when I was a skin head!).

you were a skin head!!!

You are right, and I don’t condone abusing this policy. That’s actually the only time I’ve ever returned a book late since grade school.

There is a high degree of redundancy in the books contained in the branch locations of the Taipei City Library. Each of the two books I borrowed had multiple other copies available. There is also an online search engine that lets you see which locations currently have the book you are looking for.

I’ve never tried it, but there might even be an inter-library loan policy where they will deliver the book from another branch to your local branch.

All in all, I love the libraries here. I wish they had more English books, but hey, we’re in Taiwan, right? I’m very thankful for whatever they have.

In the past two years I got to read all five Harry Potter books and the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I never thought I’d be able to do that in Taiwan without having to actually buy the books.

Wow, I couldn’t get myself to get Harry Potter 5 here in Taiwan since I don’t really collect those. Cool, I gotta go check out those libraries then…
do they have wide varities of English book?? I am look for those as well.

Thanks again for all your info!!

Cheers and shots for all of you guys
_/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/

Anyone know if you can take a notebook computer into the library? And if you can, if you can plug it in? They wouldn’t happen to have wireless Internet…?? (I’m a hopeless optimistic!!)

[quote=“MiakaW”]Wow, I couldn’t get myself to get Harry Potter 5 here in Taiwan since I don’t really collect those. Cool, I gotta go check out those libraries then…
do they have wide varities of English book?? I am look for those as well.
[/quote]

The best way to find out their selection of English books is to go to one or more branches and check it out. The main branch has by far the most English books. At the smaller branches, you’ll find some occasional gems.

As for Harry Potter, word has gotten out that the public library now has this book. I’m not sure if this link will work or not, but this page shows which branches of the library have Harry Potter.

Only the ones that say