Public vs private school

Hi guys, I recently got 2 jobs offers one from a private school and one from a public school. Both have almost the same benefits and pay. The only difference might be the amount of time I have to put into lessons or things.

I’ve already searched the forums and read some dated things and was wondering if anyone can share some updated personal experiences on why one is better than the other?

go with the public school if they’re paying the same (the private school is underpaying).

1 Like

The base pay is higher at the private school, but with the housing allowance from the public school it becomes almost the same.

Are there any other reasons why for the public school? From what they told me at the interview I would have to pretty prepare the entire curriculum. The local English teachers will get to use the textbook/workbook. Where as my lessons will go around whatever theme or topic I chose.

If it’s a low paying private school then there’s a good chance it will be crappy.

If you get to teach anything you want at the public school then that’s even better.

2 Likes

less pressure in a public school. If it’s a public senior high school you’ll get higher caliber students. Public junior high has the dimwits.

Without revealing my sources, public is absolutely the way to go here.

4 Likes

Any particular reason why? Without revealing your sources.

Private schools here are beholden to their donors (aka, the rich parents). Nothing matters more than the money, and you matter least of all.

7 Likes

this. Thank you Big Guns.

2 Likes

It’s actually for an elementary school. From the 2 classes I watched the students abilities seem mixed. A lot of behavior problems in the older grades

1 Like

I’ve heard that before. That’s actually why I was kind of leaning towards the public school. Just so I don’t have to deal with having to change grades to make parents happy or something.

is the private school also elementary?

I’d go with public because I teach at a public school and it seems they are more reliable than private schools. This is not to say they won’t be crappy to you or try to pull shit (ie, giving you a computer teacher as a co-teacher or trying to make you teach more than 19 classes/week), but they really can’t get away with too much since they are publicly funded. The FET community is also a great group of people to fall back on and we’re across Taiwan and the outlying islands. Make sure you go to FET training in August and January. It’ll save your sanity and is a chance to figure out/troubleshoot any issues, not to mention a chance to get inspired and make friends.

Also, just get a decent textbook (My go-to would be Nat Geo’s “Our World” series, very comprehensive, colorful photos, lesson plans make sense and actually teach useful language, etc.) and you’ll be way happier that you have control over the curriculum. The Taiwanese English textbooks are absolute shit in comparison. The school does have a budget for you, make sure you ask.

Check the salary on page 31 here http://www.fettaiwan.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/108外籍英語教師聘僱契約_發文縣市.pdf to make sure they’re not pulling crap, cuz I did get a contract from an elementary school near me that tried to offer 8,000 NT less per month than the official FET number. You know that money would go straight into some ungrateful/greedy administrator’s pocket.

The housing stipend and flight allowance being not in your official salary means less taxes that you have to pay. So there’s that :wink: . Make sure you use your relative’s flight allowance too or you’re leaving NT80,000 on the table.

I’ve never had to do grades in the elementary school. They’re weighted differently (to be insignificant) at the junior high level, so as long you give them at least a 60% final grade, their GPA doesn’t matter. Give them all 100% or 80% and it won’t matter.

2 Likes

Yes both are elementary. At the private school I would just have 1 grade though compared to 4 different ones in the public school

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I’ll have to check out that book. Luckily my pay is correct. For the housing allowance did you have to show them your rental contract or anything?

They wanted to see my contract because everything needs to be bureaucratic and paper-work heavy, but even if paying NT1,000/month (hahaha, as if), they still have to give you the full 5-10,000.

Awesome, thank you for all the info.

1 Like

Beware 11 month contracts that leave you with no salary in the 12th month. I’ve heard they’re a ruse at some schools. FETs are easy prey to this since we often don’t know better.

2 Likes

Yea the private school warned me that I would have a month of no pay. The public school didn’t say anything but the contract ends at the end of July. Not sure when a new one would start, probably sometime in August though.

I admit I was expecting a full paid summer with not much work if any, but from my understanding both public and private schools have some type of camp.

As usual, at least in terms of teaching in Taiwan, I am in strong agreement with @nz.

If you are serious about teaching, public schools need you. Public school kids deserve trained teachers and, generally, will be extremely appreciative of your efforts. My experiences have been overwhelmingly positive in public schools, but range from hellish to fantastic with public schools. Not to say everything depends on the school. Your attitude, preparation, social/communication/language skills, and intercultural competence matter a lot!

Public school admin will, in most cases, give you respect and guidance. This is a two-way street. Taiwan has a top-heavy (many admin positions relative to teaching positions) and a hierarchical structure with a much larger power distance than in the western world. Taiwanese teachers and admin have limited English and understanding of western etiquette and practices. You are expected to show greater levels of respect to your supervisors than in the west (for example, referring to the old mnemonic device for spelling, the princiPAL is not your pal, at least at first). Do your best and you will please them, but don’t expect them to tell you directly how much they love you. Learning the culture earlier is best (saving face, indirectness, tit-for-tat [the best translation of guan-xi 關係 I can think up at the moment]).

Support and community of FETs does depend on the area of Taiwan where you work and what agency or oversight group you get the job with/through. You might have workshops with a diligent, experienced, relatable mentor prof :wink:, or a tiresome, theory-down-your-throat, heartless bastard of a prof. Furthermore, PD is required, but you should be proactive in making sure you’re receiving the necessary training and support you’re entitled to.

2 Likes