Pulled over and constantly asked if I was a teacher

I was pulled over last week(for going up a one-way - the wrong way on a scooter) and the policeman asked me about 5 times if I was a teacher. To which I implied no.

He also asked me what I did in Taiwan and if I spoke Chinese about 5 times.

As soon as I started telling him my business in Taiwan, he said I can go.

There was no mention the the road offense whatsoever.

Never heard of this before.

I got the impression he didn’t like teachers.

I have been pulled over on my illegal 50cc scooter countless times. I have never once gotten a ticket. They have never once asked for my license. I even got pulled over once in an illegal car and nothing happened. Once I was in an accident and dislocated my shoulder (it was the women’s fault, the police blamed her.) The police never asked me for any insurance or license, just my ARC. It is crazy isn’t it?

It’s possible he’s looking to nab an illegal teacher. Your admission could be enough to pin that on you; I have seen (literally) it happen before. Police have asked me the same thing in what I considered suspicious circumstances as well. New Years is coming. The received wisdom is that “quotas” need to be met before years’ end, which makes it more likely.

I think he was just bored and asking random questions…

[quote=“cake”]I was pulled over last week(for going up a one-way - the wrong way on a scooter) and the policeman asked me about 5 times if I was a teacher. To which I implied no.

He also asked me what I did in Taiwan and if I spoke Chinese about 5 times.

As soon as I started telling him my business in Taiwan, he said I can go.

There was no mention the the road offense whatsoever.

Never heard of this before.

I got the impression he didn’t like teachers.[/quote]

He probably just assumed you were a teacher (since that is what most people ass-u-me us crackers in Taiwan are anyways).

It is pretty standard for policemen, in any country, to ask foreigners what they do, when they commit an offense. He did ask you what you did after, when he realized his first hunch was wrong.

You weren’t getting a ticket in all likelihood. I have retired from the scooter game but when I drove I was pulled over about 50 times for shit and ticketed TWICE.

I don’t think cops care either way about teachers. Is Ralphy a cop?

I got stopped at a road block the other night coming back from the office.

Police officer: Are you an English teacher?
Me: Nope! I work in the Science Park. I’m an engineering consultant.
Police officer: You’re not an English teacher?
Me: Nope. Here’s my card. Engineer.
Police officer: Are you sure?
Me: :smiley:

Yup. Hard habit to break, too. Our neighbor downstairs keeps calling me “teacher” even though I’ve informed him on several occasions I’m a translator.

Yup. Hard habit to break, too. Our neighbor downstairs keeps calling me “teacher” even though I’ve informed him on several occasions I’m a translator.[/quote]
That’s not so out of line. In Taiwan, laoshi is used as an honorific, even if you’re not a teacher. You could be a manicurist and people would still call you laoshi. A little bit like being called “guv’nor” by an old Cockney bloke.

I’ve been pulled over and asked too… when I told them I worked in a Taiwanese company doing sales they said great, glad you are promoting Taiwan to the world, happened a few times! No tickets either, wouldn’t happen in many countries. If you said you are a teacher, well maybe not so great but it’s just to get a question to get a handle on who you are…and they are curious just like any Taiwanese.

[quote=“Maoman”]
That’s not so out of line. In Taiwan, laoshi is used as an honorific, even if you’re not a teacher. You could be a manicurist and people would still call you laoshi. A little bit like being called “guv’nor” by an old Cockney bloke.[/quote]

maybe 1/10 times, but when the conversation is like this:

“are you English teacher?”
“no”
“do you teach English?”
“no”
“you English teacher?”
“no”

…maybe not.

I’ve lived in the same building for three years, and at different points everyone has shared the elevator with me and asked me what I do. First question is always “are you a teacher?” or “Do you teach at meiguo xuexiao?” When I say no I am not a teacher and tell them what I do (in Chinese even) they:
a-get a confused look on their face and stare at the floor for the rest of the time.
b-get a confused look on their face and ask where I teach.
c-get a confused look on their face and stare at me silently.
d-they say ‘oh’

interactions here get derailed very quickly when the dialogue veers away from where the Taiwanese person thought it would go. People often don’t listen to your answer, they just fire off question 2 on their list regardless of what your answer to question one was.

Yes, very true. The same result goes for ‘Are you American’? ‘No’. ‘Are you Canadian’? ‘No’ Are you English? No. I’m from a small country near England. They are like, Ah I see…then that’s the end of the conversation :slight_smile:

headhonco II wrote:

You’re from France? :astonished:

The one to the left… :noway:

The isle of man? :wink:

Mull. Or maybe Skye. That would explain A LOT!

WHY would the Isle of Man give the Frogs big money for a glitz conference on the music business. Sandman, did you have a hand in this?
Click on the big red e.

The Isle of Man, good one :slight_smile:

He might have been looking for a teacher for his kid or something. :idunno:

Thanks Deuce Dropper, I’m glad to know I’m not the only one experiencing the confused looks. Granted my Mandarin is not great, still I know that sometimes I’m speaking correctly but the response on the other side is confusion. Must be because I’m not answering what they were expecting. With the confused look on their face, it feels like I just said “I’m not an English teacher. I’m a snot farmer.”

I’ve never had a cop ask me that and I can count the number of times I’ve been pulled over on one hand…

1. on the old RZR, Taichung cop said my exhaust was too noisy but bike was cool, let me go and asked me to try and keep it down a bit
  2. on the Ninja, cop trying to fill illegal-turn-scooter quotas pulled me over doing a left turn. Realised his mistake so tried to claim my front license plate sticker was ‘not clear enough’ instead. Go complain to the DMV then mate, cause they were the ones who made it. Cop gives up and asks if the bike cost more or less than 30 wan.
  3. random check on the Ninja in Taichung, cop asks how fast it can go. ‘I dunno, about 200’. Cop says awesome and asks if I want to go riding with them on scooters some time.
  4. random check again in Taipei, cop is quick and professional. How boring :neutral:
  5. cop in Taichung pulled me after a legal left turn in the old truck. I was paranoid then and filming 24/7 so wifey points at the camera and calmly asks if he wants to get fucked in court. Cop smiles and waves us on, no harm, no foul.

Still clean as a whistle except for some forgotten parking fees.

Maybe y’all should just stop running red lights and ni xiang-ing.