Pulling mask down to sneeze

So the other day I am on the mrt and a guy pulls his mask off to sneeze, then very nonchalantly puts it back up after. I move away but nobody else seems to move.
Then this morning the same thing occurs with another guy in a 7/11.
Anyone suddenly now noticing this sort of thing with the new outbreak?

3 Likes

I tell people that they are disgusting and have no sense of hygiene when they do that. (ā€œå„½å™åæƒļ¼ä½ ę˜ÆäøēŸ„道這ęأ多éŗ¼ēš„äøč”›ē”Ÿå—Žļ¼Ÿā€)

No one has beaten me up yet.

4 Likes

One of my students was coughing and sneezing, and doing that thing where you snort back the phlegm or é¼»ę°“, all without a mask As we were in a computer class, I didnā€™t notice at first. When she was asked to give a response, I noticed her answer masklessly. In mean, ffs, Iā€™m wearing a super uncomfortable n95, but sheā€™s discharging her bodily fluids carelessly. One of our ā€œtop achievingā€ students, in terms of GPA, but lacking common sense/courtesy.

3 Likes

You should sneeze into your mask and then change it. Thatā€™s why you should carry a spare mask, especially if you are sick.

People are fucking disgusting

2 Likes

I have seen these things right from the beginning of covid in Taiwan. Nothing new

1 Like

Did he sneeze into the open air? If it was a foreigner sneezing into his shirt, it might have been me. It smells like bad cinnamon when I sneeze so I usually pull my mask down to sneeze into my shirt.

(I sneeze a lot btwā€¦)

I love cinnamon

I do that when Iā€™m at home and donā€™t have time to grab a tissue, so I donā€™t sneeze on my daughter. Lift my shirt over my nose and let her rip

You know that your t-shirt didnā€™t filter as much as your mask, donā€™t you?

Iā€™ve seen people on the MRT pulling their masks down to talk into their phones. Honestly, a lot of things surrounding mask wearing make now sense whatsoever. I donā€™t care anymore, if the current rule is to wear them I wear them, the minute the rule is dropped, I will only wear them when I feel sick to not spread whatever is in me that might make others feels sick too.

2 Likes

I pretend to take pictures of them on my phone. Man, does that freak them the fuck out!
If I, as a weiguoren, did that, Iā€™d be splattered all over the front page of the Apple Daily.
So to hell with their double standards.

4 Likes

I tried to go maskless at an empty beach today. Had to rappel down a mini cliff to get there, so I was hardly concerned about coming in contact with anyone. The Taiwanese person I was with told me Iā€™d better put my mask back on lest someone snaps a photo of me. The double standards are real. (the Taiwanese friend is allergic to everything, so mask wearing outside had been a given for them for a long time)

2 Likes

Iā€™m admittedly a pull down mask to sneezer. I rarely wear my mask since I donā€™t have to while teaching or at the gym and no one cares when walking between the car and home, so I can use a mask a few days at least. If I sneez in it, itā€™s ruined.

Not that this is an ideal. But just saying: everyone should know to cough into something. Even a friggen elbow, if nothing else is available. Never openly, never onto your hand etc . This has been taught and is common knowledge for at least 3 decades. Even anti maskers need to get a grip on basic common senseā€¦it isnt some kind of new age black magic that the uber woke are unleashing because of covid. Just simple common sense. I sneeze into my shirt if there is no preventing it, cause obviously sneezing into a mask one needs to wear all day is dumb. But sneezing onyo people in super high density populations is a douche move. Why wear the mask at all?

1 Like

ā€œBe a Vampireā€. Where else do you sneeze? Your hands?

I donā€™t think a tshirt is a good place to sneeze into because most of the particles will still fly (better than to the air!), but a sweatshirt is thick enough to block a lot more particles. I sneeze into my elbow because thatā€™s what I was taught in preschool, kindergarten, and maybe up until third grade, when it didnā€™t need to be taught anymore because enough of the school knew to scream at anyone that did anything else.

1 Like

1 Like

Absolutely. But at this point i think we are being literally BARE minimum! Like, common sense in the realm of ā€œlook both ways before crossing the streetā€ kind of bare minimum. Not trying to day the elbow or in the shirt is good. Just literally basic of all basic bare minimums.

If people are spraying all over each during a very contageous flu like virus, they lost their right to complain about mandates in my opinion. It is amazing how far a little basic common sense goes once extrapolated through the population. Where people disagree with this is when same basic common sense is expected on the ithe side of the conversation :slight_smile: We are STILL waiting for soap next to sonks and toilets without open bins of feces in taiwan. And this is after multiple nation wide health emergencies (hepatitis, sars 1, sars 2, influenza). Other countries, same shit different smell. Literraly.

1 Like

I wear my masks no longer than two hours and then throw them away.
The person taking the mask off in order to sneeze wants to keep them probably a little longer than you do!

I wonder if thereā€™s any studies done on whether itā€™s better to sneeze in arm/shirt compared to the mask. A mask I might use for two days. I touch it more frequently than the part of my shirt I sneeze into so I feel itā€™s more sanitary.

That is true. A mask is touched constantly. However, Coronaviruses arenā€™t passed by contact easily.