Punctuality is expected of teachers but not for students in a private tutoring session?

Please don’t be a grammar nazi, k thanks

Please don’t use the word ‘nazi’ to talk about shit on the internet, kthanks. I was chatting with the German guy about it: I think - it all went a bit ‘huh?’ Just because you started the thread, it doesn’t belong to you, so pipe down kthanks. :laughing:

Good luck with the job hunt. Hold out for 600NT, eh?

The OP seems to be a bit confused about how all this works.

When you sign up to work as a teacher for an organization, you are signing an agreement between yourself and that organization. That agreement will appropriately lay out what is expected of you, what the organization will pay or provide you, and so forth. It does NOT include any limits or expectations on the behavior of third parties, and the organization’s clients (students) are third parties. They did not sign your agreement. They presumably sign some other agreement when they sign up for classes. Or maybe not. The organization could sign a paper saying they pay the student NT$50,000 each time they complete 10 lessons, but YOU have nothing to do with that agreement, whether you like it or not. Your only task is to see if you agree to do what they want you to do for the amount of money they want to pay you for doing it (which is a totally separate issue in this case). Or, of course, if you want to be morally outraged because of preferential treatment for paying customers over employees, you can refuse to sign the employee agreement in the first place. But if you’re otherwise satisfied with the conditions that govern YOUR job, I can’t see why you’d do that.

Now, which group of people is giving the organization money: the teachers or the students?
Which group of people are likely to be given more attractive terms to get them to sign up in larger numbers?
Which group of people does the organization need more of?

You’re just not a special sneauxphlayke as a Taiwan Engrish teacher, at least not in this particular league (the under NT$600 an hour league isn’t the majors in the first place). You have no clout. And personally, I don’t find the requirement that you make up the time totally unreasonable, nor do I find it disrespectful that the company doesn’t require its students to do something you consider “making it up to you” because they were late to a class that they paid for. Presumably, if the student did not cancel in advance, you get paid your regular rate if the student is late. So what’s the problem?

I don’t have the cancellation policy from the customer’s side. They buy an entire 10 week session with the institution and they just lose class time for not showing up or cancelling properly I guess. Cancellation happens frequently, according to a forumosa thread about this institution. I’m compelled to give you guys the name of the institution, but I just hope I don’t get sued for defamation or get in trouble for sharing this info.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I’m leaning on declining this offer because there are even more problems than punctuality. The class curriculum for the entire 10 weeks needs to be written by the teacher and catered towards the learning goals of the student or client. There are also progress reports needed to be written after every single class. so I just forsee a mountain of unpaid work.

The rate the quoted me was $550 an hour which is pathetic and an insult to ESL teachers everywhere.[/quote]

The reason that I ask is that you have no idea what the penalties are for the student. They might only get half of a refund or zero refund regardless of you getting shafted on your end. I would consider that a severe cancellation policy on their end. I would not be surprised if the school keeps most of the money and gets out of paying your wages (20% pay) since you didn’t actually teach in their eyes.

the problem here is that you’re stuck on this stuff while the whole thing sounds like shit.

Thats rough, apply your energies elsewhere.

It’s a scam. Don’t sign that contract.

This word isn’t on dictionary.com. What does it mean? A Google search brings up this thread!

This word isn’t on dictionary.com. What does it mean? A Google search brings up this thread![/quote]
Um, “snowflake”? :neutral:

It’s a snowflake that is soooooo special that it has its own spelling, and should be exempted from all the tedious expectations that rule everyone else.

Think its English. Mostly used in the context of unarmed combat, mano a mano stylee (which is pretty appropriate for teaching, CTTOI).

It might be an Americanism, but there’s so much of that around I hardly notice anymore.

(I said “gas” instead of petrol the other day and had to punch myself in the mouth.)

Basketball can be “one on one” here in the States. Usually we say “private tutoring” to describe a situation where it’s one teacher tutoring a single student, though, as opposed to “group tutoring”.

Its a Hall and Oates song :slight_smile:

“One on one” is pretty common in Britain. Usually applied to tutoring or some kind, or maybe an interview.

Google for [“one on one” economist] turns up quite a few hits in that august newspaper so I am pretty confident that it is indeed widely used and accepted.

As a former manager of C&C, I have to say how shocked I am at the rate of pay. When I was there, we paid 1000 an hour. Getting them to pay on time was another story. I am glad to see that they make you write a curriculum. That means they aren’t using the one I wrote for them anymore. Huzzah.

I’ve run into policies like this before. I agree that it’s a double standard.

Once a student showed up 20 minutes late for a private tutoring session. The tutoring center deducted 20 minutes from MY pay because I “wasn’t actually working” and expected me to make up the extra time for the student with no additional pay for me. Once I was written up for not being five minutes early to a class, even though I was doing back-to-back classes and I was in the building.

Apparently coming up with original material for class, filling out paperwork, and “providing valuable feedback” (read: editing other people’s incomprehensible Chinglish) is a part of tutoring as well - and stuff you don’t get paid for.

There are way better jobs than this out there. Not sure why people stick with these for over a month or so

In my case, it was because I was turned away from other jobs for not “having experience”.

In my case, it was because I was turned away from other jobs for not “having experience”.[/quote]

well now you do. On your resume you can even (honestly) list this job as 2014-2015, which makes it look like you worked there a whole year.

ITs almost Chinese new year. Put on a nice shirt, pair of slacks and print out a ton of resumes. Hit the pavement and walk into EVERY school you could stand to work in. Dont just use tealit. In person works SO much better here. Start tomorrow.