Purchasing vintage-like posters

hey,

i’m looking for vintage chinese-language posters, such as old cigarette and beer ads from china or anything that just looks vintage. any suggestions on where to get them here in taipei?

There’s a place parallel to Shita Road, two minutes walk from Nitties.

Like this?

Trond Lovdall recently moved to Thailand, but check out his site:
Deco Orient and you may be able to secure some from him.
Mind you, they’re real ones, and not cheap!

(Fredericka beat me to it.)

I’ve bought a few (hundred) from the scabby markets across from the Lung Shan Temple. That was a few years ago but i’m sure that you’ll be able to find some. Don’t let anuyone tell you that they’re real or not as it’s nigh-on impossible to tell. Pay about NT$200 a poster.

I think it is possible to tell especially with the metal bits at the top and bottom that’s on the real ones. The paper is a different quality, as well. You’d probably have to be in a room full of the real ones to get an idea, or know something about printing.
Contact Trond. He’d be very helpful if this is what you’re looking for.

[/i]

I bought a bunch of 'em at the weekend “antique” market at Guang Hua Shang Chang (where all the electronic gadgets are sold) over at Bade and Sungjiang. They make great gifts for the folks back home.

Any suggestions for finding the same in Taichung? I don’t mind how authentic they look, I just like the pictures and the style.

fredericka,

you’re right on the money with that pic…though i’m not so concerned about it being real right now. i think i’ll head on over to longshan temple right now to start looking.

thanks

hey alleycat,

where’s that place parallel to shita? are you talking about the night market?

embryo,
I am guessing he means that shop opposite 7-11 on Longchuan Street

I bought a poster from Trond. It was great dealing with him. I paid maybe US$250.

For reproductions, you can try eBay as well.

Where can I get Dali posters ?

The shop Alleycat’s talking about in Shida has some nice stuff but it’s very expensive. i got the same posters for half the price about 4 years ago. Don’t know if it’s still there (it was 4 years ago), but the shop was on Xinyi Rd. If you’re heading East down Xinyi Rd it was on the left shortly before Jilong Rd.

Brian

Hexuan, there’s a pretty good poster shop on Hoping just east of Hsin-Sheng, next to the petrol station. It’s called L’Affiche (or something like that).

[quote=“Sir Donald Bradman”]The shop Alleycat’s talking about in Shida has some nice stuff but it’s very expensive. I got the same posters for half the price about 4 years ago. Don’t know if it’s still there (it was 4 years ago), but the shop was on Xinyi Rd. If you’re heading East down Xinyi Rd it was on the left shortly before Jilong Rd.

Brian[/quote]

That’s the one.