Putting Bikes on Trains in Taiwan: How To Get Around By Rail

1. The Administration has 72, 6073, 616, 706 (6706), 701 Chu-Kuang Express with passenger & bicycle compartment. A person seat and a bicycle rack are provided in the compartment.
  1. 72, 73 shift provided 45 people plus 45 bicycles; 616 shift provided 30 people 30 bicycles, the group booking of Taiwan Railway and high-speed rail is available.
  1. 706 (6706), 701 shift provided 15 people 15 bicycles, the group booking of Taiwan Railway and high-speed rail is not available.

Still mostly gibberish. Presume ‘shift’ = train numbers.

2 Likes

72 is Chu-Kuang Express72 05:34 Shulin 到 12:03 Taitung
It’s a Sat only service (because cyclists don’t travel on any other day of the week)

6073, 616 - trains don’t seem to exist

706 Chu-Kuang Express706 13:42 Taitung 到 17:14 Xinzuoying
Sunday only. No sign of bike symbol against this train, online.

6706 - no idea.

701 Chu-Kuang Express701 06:26 Xinzuoying 到 10:20 Taitung
Sat only. This does have a bike symbol.

73 is Chu-Kuang Express73 16:20 Taitung 到 22:25 Shulin
Sun only, heading back north.
Not listed in note 1 above, but prob should be as it seems to be the return of the 72 (72 south on Sat, 73 north).

2 Likes

Premier Su is pushing for Taiwan trains and buses around Taiwan to provide more and better access for bikes in preparation for more bike tourism after covid.

Current situation with trains is actually pretty good. If you are following the rules for trains, it’s quite simple on the express trains, without bike compartment. Local trains is even easier as you get on without having to bag them.

As for buses

1 Like

that’s great. I’ve see bike racks attached to the front of buses in other major cities. definitely could be done here too.

A post was merged into an existing topic: 2021 Officially Named Bicycle Touring Year

I hate to ask again as I’ve seen this has been discussed many times on Forumosa but most threads on it are super old. I’m interested in doing this route one-way to Yilan station. Which trains can you take without having to bag it? I know TRA lists “bike-friendly trains” but that doesn’t necessarily mean you don’t have to bag it. I just don’t want to carry a bike bag with me.

2 Likes

All local trains can be boarded with no bag needed. You just pay a half ticket for your bike.

The bike friendly trains have compartments with bike racks, I believe it’s the same price, but those tickets may be booked in advance by others, so you may end up not having a spot!

You also have the option of taking the bus without a bike bag, as long as you don’t mind having your bike in the lower conparment.

1 Like

Is this new? From what I understand only certain local trains will allow bikes.

No, all local trains will allow bikes. The newer trains will have a small bike rack for you to strap your bike in. The older ones you’ll just have to find an emptier compartment and lean your bike against a seat or rail.

Sorry, I couldn’t find any English speaking Youtube videos explaining the process, but here’s some visual help.

EDIT

Check out English info here on TRA website

If the link takes you to the Chinese language. Click English language at the top right --> choose Tour Ticket at the drop down menu --> Bicycle Friendly Train.

2 Likes

@bananas

This too.

All in all, I wouldn’t worry too much about not being able to get on a train. Just ask information at the train station or the ticket counter. They will be more than happy to help you out.

Don’t forget to pack a mask!

2 Likes

I guess a related question is

How do you navigate the larger stations with your bike? Just walk along the regular route or are you supposed to use a separate elevator or something?

You’re correct that you would take elevators to get around, though notably some big stations around the island just don’t allow bikes at all, like Taipei Main Station.

1 Like

Nice video, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Yes, but you have the choice of Song Shan and Nangang to get off of in Taipei/New Taipei, which I believe allow non-bagged bikes.

Unless things have changed recently I’m not seeing where this is true. To be specific, I’m talking about bringing a bike on a local train without a bag. There are only certain local trains that allow unbagged bikes and they’re denoted on the timetable with a bike symbol.

I think you’re right (or u def used to be right).

Out of Hualien, unbagged bikes are allowed on most local trains, but there are 1 or 2 exceptions (local train, unbagged bike not allowed). As you say, gotta check the timetable.

I used to take the bike on the local train quite a bit and it was always frustrating how few per day you can actually put the bike on. For instance between Taipei and Suao there are only 5 local trains per day you’re allowed to put an unbagged bike on. It would be great if they changed this policy, but it doesn’t seem like they have.

This is from experience as I am unable to find this information on the TRA site, but the bicycle icon should not denote whether you need or don’t need to bag your bike.

The icon denotes it is bike friendly. There could be a bike/storage compartment on the first or last tram or the bike racks that you can tie off your bike to.

All non-bagged bikes are allowed on local trains with the purchase of a 50% off full price ticket for your bike.

All in all, if you end up at a train station and they require you to bag your bike, a quick solution is to buy a garbage bag from the convenience store and cover your bike. This way, you can get on your train and you do not have to carry a bike bag with you.

1 Like

Delete