Putting Bikes on Trains in Taiwan: How To Get Around By Rail

Is this new? From what I understand only certain local trains will allow bikes.

No, all local trains will allow bikes. The newer trains will have a small bike rack for you to strap your bike in. The older ones you’ll just have to find an emptier compartment and lean your bike against a seat or rail.

Sorry, I couldn’t find any English speaking Youtube videos explaining the process, but here’s some visual help.

EDIT

Check out English info here on TRA website

If the link takes you to the Chinese language. Click English language at the top right → choose Tour Ticket at the drop down menu → Bicycle Friendly Train.

2 Likes

@bananas

This too.

All in all, I wouldn’t worry too much about not being able to get on a train. Just ask information at the train station or the ticket counter. They will be more than happy to help you out.

Don’t forget to pack a mask!

2 Likes

I guess a related question is

How do you navigate the larger stations with your bike? Just walk along the regular route or are you supposed to use a separate elevator or something?

You’re correct that you would take elevators to get around, though notably some big stations around the island just don’t allow bikes at all, like Taipei Main Station.

1 Like

Nice video, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Yes, but you have the choice of Song Shan and Nangang to get off of in Taipei/New Taipei, which I believe allow non-bagged bikes.

1 Like

Unless things have changed recently I’m not seeing where this is true. To be specific, I’m talking about bringing a bike on a local train without a bag. There are only certain local trains that allow unbagged bikes and they’re denoted on the timetable with a bike symbol.

1 Like

I think you’re right (or u def used to be right).

Out of Hualien, unbagged bikes are allowed on most local trains, but there are 1 or 2 exceptions (local train, unbagged bike not allowed). As you say, gotta check the timetable.

I used to take the bike on the local train quite a bit and it was always frustrating how few per day you can actually put the bike on. For instance between Taipei and Suao there are only 5 local trains per day you’re allowed to put an unbagged bike on. It would be great if they changed this policy, but it doesn’t seem like they have.

This is from experience as I am unable to find this information on the TRA site, but the bicycle icon should not denote whether you need or don’t need to bag your bike.

The icon denotes it is bike friendly. There could be a bike/storage compartment on the first or last tram or the bike racks that you can tie off your bike to.

All non-bagged bikes are allowed on local trains with the purchase of a 50% off full price ticket for your bike.

All in all, if you end up at a train station and they require you to bag your bike, a quick solution is to buy a garbage bag from the convenience store and cover your bike. This way, you can get on your train and you do not have to carry a bike bag with you.

2 Likes

I’m not saying you’re wrong, it’s just that my experience as of last year was the opposite. Sounds like at the very least there is some inconsistency in how the rules are interpreted.

1 Like

Yeah, not saying you are wrong either :wink:

Information is very inconsistent and everyone’s experiences are too.

It sometimes depends on who you meet at the ticket counter, the platform and conductor. I remember in my early years when taking the train, I did not buy an extra ticket for my bike for the express train because I had no clue, but the person at the turnstiles let me through. When I was on the train the conductor came by to check tickets ended up just telling me to remember next time.

1 Like

In light of all that, a folding bike can be carried or rolled on any train bagged like a piece of luggage right?

Similar to MRT any time, any car, if folded and bagged.

And no additional requirements to buy a bike ticket.

This one thing makes a folding bagged bike very practical for me. Can just hop on any MRT or train anytime.

Can head off out of town hopping on and off trains as needed.

Definitely, even a full-size bike can be taken on any train as luggage if bagged.

1 Like

On the last point, if you find yourself in a situation where you need a carrying bag, the rules were amended in 2016 to exclude plastic or cloth bags:

“Bicycle should be put in carrying bag without exposure, and may not use plastic bag, cloth bag or other bags to replace carrying bag.”

Took the MRT from SYS Memorial Hall to Dinpu on Sunday. Still can’t believe how easy it is.

5 Likes

Yes as long as the two stations accept bikes , i use it for long distances like tamsui because 80 is really worth it.

I live in Song Shan, so Danshui t to and from home is alright, as it’s a clear river path ride. I’ve taken the MRT back from Hong Shu Lin to Song Shan and I remember it took way too much time as I had to get off at CKS memorial hall and transfer to the green line and loop back towards Song Shan.

Very frustrating that you can only take bike on train between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. weekdays which means you can’t get an early start or late ending.

Especially frustrating if you’re trying to take the MRT to the train and then depart to another destination or arriving late at night.

1 Like