Putting Bikes on Trains in Taiwan: How To Get Around By Rail

There’s an easy solution to that.

Just ride there.

Should be much easier to carry?

1 Like

Cyclsts will get less crap from passengers for blocking seats. Hopefully they will get more of these!

I was watching a Youtube video of Rides of Japan where he was talking about a bike bag to take your bike on trains. So I went to their website to check it out. Beware, I almost had a stroke when I saw the price: https://www.fairmean.com/

1 Like

That price is pretty ridiculous, but that is something I would seriously consider if I was taking train or hsr often after rides.

Most bike bags you see are almost twice the size, weight and definitely do not fit into your jersey pocket.

I’m waiting for the Chinese-made white label version to come out

But it’s hand made.
In Paris.
France.

:wink:

Took my bike on train between 2 cities mid-Taiwan recently weekday afternoon.

Told window I had a bike and wanted to hop on next available train, he sold me 2 tickets, one for me and a cheaper bike ticket.

Told me to walk bike through normal gate and go to front of train car 1. Car 1 had designated bike holders, that partially block the aisle by the way, so I hooked bike to a handrail in the large open area. Train conductors seemed ok with it.

Walked bike out through normal gate and through train station, using elevator between floors.

1 Like

Anyone know if these, Songshan and Nangang, are still the only Taipei area train stations that allow non-bagged bikes?

Wanhua too, maybe.

1 Like

Yup, Wanhua for certain.

1 Like

Possible to take bagged bike on HSR Taipei to Tainan?
Train Journey already booked!

It is.

1 Like

Official HSR page in English. But I think it’s old well maybe the English section hasn’t been updated.

https://en.thsrc.com.tw/ArticleContent/0ab9938f-60c9-4ca0-b91d-7d9b90ea155a

xxxv-i. Passengers carrying their bicycles:
(i) Bicycle in carry bag: No extra charge if the front and back wheels are removed and
placed in the bag to comply with standards for personal belongings, limited to one per
person. However, the bicycle must be placed in the large luggage area at the front and
back of each car. If the bicycle carry bag exceeds the dimensions of personal belongings,
it shall be handled in accordance with Subparagraph 3.
(ii) Bicycle in carry hard case: The contents and dimensions must be labeled on the exterior.
Cases with wheels must have a brake function or the case must have a handle or
drawstring for safety purposes. No extra charge if the case complies with standards for
personal belongings, limited to one per person. However, the bicycle must be placed in
the large luggage area at the front and back of each car. If the bicycle case exceeds the
dimensions of personal belongings, it shall be handled in accordance with Subparagraph
(iii) If the dimensions of the folding bicycle carry bag/hard case exceeds restrictions on
personal belongings, the total of the length, width, and height of the bicycle bag/case is
limited to 240 cm; the height may not exceed 120 cm and length may not exceed 100 cm
(approximately two seats), width may not exceed 35 cm, and weight may not exceed 40
kg if the object is to be placed inside the car, and an adult ticket for the window seat on
the side with three seats in the first row of cars 1 through 5 in the direction that the train is
moving (reserved seat in standard car) must be purchased. Passengers must go to a ticket
window before the departure time and notify the ticket seller to arrange seating. If such
seats are not available on the train that the passenger intends to take, then the passenger
should take a later train. This service is not applicable during specific holidays announced
by the Company (based on the dates announced on the Company’s website).

1 Like

Bikes have to be bagged on the HSR. Doesn’t matter what kind (as in a garbage bag would pass). Be sure to ask for a seat near the front or end of the compartment to be able to keep an eye on the bike.

3 Likes

Is there a limit to how much you can take on the HSR? I’ve just finished my HuanDao and want to get back to Kaohsiung. I have my bike which will have to be black bagged, two pannier bags, a drybag with my sleeping bag and a suitcase.

Would that be fine or am I best just waiting until the morning for the train with the dedicated bicycle carriages?

if you are asking on the regulation, check this page.

https://en.thsrc.com.tw/ArticleContent/0ab9938f-60c9-4ca0-b91d-7d9b90ea155a

3 Likes

For future readers, I bought a carry bag from giant for 980NTD, brought the bike and dry bag inside the carry on, a large 75cm suitcase and the 2 pannier bags without any issues.

And thanks Tando for the link, much appreciated

6 Likes

A little late here to answer your question, but what I know is, as long as your bike is covered, doesn’t quite matter what else you bring on there. It’s the HSR afterall, not a plane where they would charge you per pc of luggage :laughing:

Congrats on completing the Huan Dao!

2 Likes

Yeah that’s spot on. Should have just bought some big garbage bags and saved myself 900NT :rofl:

Appreciate it, not related to this thread but cycling north from Kaohsiung was like riding through a giant landfill, wish I done my due diligence and planned a better route instead of taking Cycle Route 1

3 Likes