Putting Sound on websites and local music sites

I am a step away from adding sound clips to my website, but alas, I am clueless on the best way to transfer sounds from life onto my computer. hmmmm. These would be sounds from outside; English teaching trash trucks, scooter sounds, etc. Any advice would be incredibly appreciated!

Also, I am looking for a place where I can view, hear and download some Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese and Korean music. I have MTV and watch that a bit, but I want to be able to add sample bit to the website. And I am dying to know the name of an artist and song that I have stuck in my head. Preferably a site in English, but I can fiddle with it if there is a good Chinese language one.

Thankssssssssssssssss soo much!
Debra
meintaiwan.diaryland.com

Aaaaagh. Don’t. Practically everyone hates it when they go to a website and music starts playing – or takes ten minutes to load and they have their sound turned off anyway.

I agree, if you mean the site you posted, it’s a nice site as it is, please don’t ruin it with sounds or ‘cute’ animations that distract from the good stuff. Unless you wanted a ‘click here to hear a garbage truck’ link, it would just turn people off. Imagine you’re listening to music on your computer, and then your website comes up, Fur Elise (or any other unasked for sounds) would completly ruin my Boyzone experience.

good question tho’ anyway…as a complete computer spastic but with some experience of this…i guess the best way would be to record the sounds with a recording walkman (NT$1500) and then plug your stereo inot your pc so as to load the sounds up. you will need to download some mixing software (www.goldwave.com) to edit the sounds…then transfer the sounds into mp3 files…this way you can have buttons on your site to download the sounds but as suggested don’t set up the page so they automatically play…altho’ i’ve done that with geocities sites without any prob.

you could also just buy a mp3 player with a recorder builtin i guess

I was going to put sound links on the site. I would never have sound on there that might interupt what someone is doing. I personally find that as annoying as pop ups. I just think there are some sounds that are so unique to here and that they would add so much to pics and words. Oh, and when the new smelly technology (did you read about that?) gets perfected, I wanna add that on too. haha. Thanks again.
D

As far as recording the stuff goes, it depends greatly what things you already have and what you would like to get. There are lots and lots of little voice recorder thingies going around for only 3000 NT - and they play MP3s too! (The MSI MegaStick is pretty nice and a good price too). If you get one of those it’s as simple as record in the field with a single button and then plug in and transfer to your computer. You get a nice little MP3 which you…

Here, I don’t know what you do since I’m not used to Blogger. Can you upload sound files and link to them? If you have a friend with a website you might be able to get them to put the MP3s on their site, where you can link to them from your site.

Alternately, you could borrow a little tape recorder from work or whatever, make your recordings, then plug them into the line in jack on the back of the computer (NOT the microphone jack), then use Windows Recorder to make a WAV file, finally using something like RazorLame. Then you could take those MP3s and put them on your web site.

As far as recording the stuff goes, it depends greatly what things you already have and what you would like to get. There are lots and lots of little voice recorder thingies going around for only 3000 NT - and they play MP3s too! (The MSI MegaStick is pretty nice and a good price too). If you get one of those it’s as simple as record in the field with a single button and then plug in and transfer to your computer. You get a nice little MP3 which you…

Here, I don’t know what you do since I’m not used to Blogger. Can you upload sound files and link to them? If you have a friend with a website you might be able to get them to put the MP3s on their site, where you can link to them from your site.

Alternately, you could borrow a little tape recorder from work or whatever, make your recordings, then plug them into the line in jack on the back of the computer (NOT the microphone jack), then use Windows Recorder to make a WAV file, finally using something like RazorLame. Then you could take those MP3s and put them on your web site.

I don’t know about the Megastick specifically but my friend’s similar device (stick mp3 player) also offers recording, but the file format it records into is low-quality .wav
This is because recording on-the-fly to .mp3 would take a fair bit of processing power I think.

If you only want to record a couple of things for your website then using somebody’s dictaphone or recording walkman would be OK though the quality would not be the greatest. If you know anyone who has a minidisc player/recorder with a decent (separate) mic., that would be much better.

You’re absolutely right: I goofed. You can still convert to MP3 with RazorLame in the manner I suggested.

The MegaStick does have an external microphone jack, as do most of the > 3000 NT models.

My thought is that for the Garbage truck song, traffic noise, and perhaps a Daoist parade, quality is not the prime motivator…

Taiwan certainlly has some unique sounds. A good collection of strange sounds can be found at angelfire.com/mt/mondotaiwan/sounds.html#top

The main page is angelfire.com/mt/mondotaiwan/
scroll down to the bottom of the page to get buttons that lead to strange sights and sounds.

Well i guess they hardware part has been tackled already so i’d go to the next step. Recording the sounds into your BOX. This is easy and no need for special softwares. Windows has a built-in sound recorder. If you click the start (This is in windows 98) button then click programs-> accessories -> entertainment -> you’ll probably see an icon of a speaker that says sound recorder. All you have to do is plug in you recorder to the “mic” or “line in” socket behind you box and start recording. But ofcourse this file would be saved in “wav” format which takes up a lot of space. So if you want to compress it into mp3 format, i’d recommend “CDEX” try searching “CDEX” in google. Its a good tool . It’s main purpose is for ripping CD tracks into MP3 format. But it also has other tools like changing mp3 to wav and vice versa. actually it has a recording tool also that can let you record from the analog input directly into mp3 file formats. Anyway i hope this post helped :wink: