Puyuma train derailed in Yilan (21 October 2018)

Because the next question is “how do drivers meet schedules”

They just said that on the news: that he couldn’t have turned it off by himself. There is SOP, he needs to go through a chain of command to do so.

The problem, aside from whether the ATP was off or not, is why? Why if the train was failing from Songshan to Yilan, why it kept going on or worse: turning off the ATP to speed up and make up time from malfunction.

We are being drip fed information but the key part as to why he turned it off isnt being told yet. Obviously he had permission to turn it off.
Was it because the train was delayed in yilan so he wanted to make up lost time ? Or some other reason?
Or was it routinely turned off at some sections?

Are we sure the ATP was not working? Was it disabled or someone turned it off? I am seeing conflicting reports on the tv news?

The driver is still alive, isn’t he? Injured, but alive?

Brain surgery. Let’s settle for somewhere in between.

Again, another statement of the obvious that explains nothing more…

I hope the driver makes it and still remembers what the fuck happened. And that he has the balls to confess. If he cannot turn it off on his own, then the TRA denying it has fucked up, and it would be interesting to know why they lied.

Is there a difference between the Taroko train and the puyuma train ?

Was there only one driver? Taiwan trains used to operate with two drivers. Things may have changed with the HSR and the taroko and
Puyuma

Used to watch the tzechiang drivers.

One would say out loud actions one was taking and the other would confirm also out loud

These ran at up to 110kph on the western lines whereas other trains ran at 60 to 70

Yep, I guess Sherlock there may be able to deduce that the pieces of what used to be train cars on the outside of the curve may mean that the train was a teeny bit over the speed limit.

Now if these geniuses can tell us why it was speeding…And hope they do not say because the ATP was off…

…because the next question is why, and how, and they may not like the answer. And from what this is shaping up to be, they could decide to go back to the good old days when no one questioned anything…because they couldn’t.

Oh and BTW I am shocked with CNA. They took a picture of a young kid’s body crushed between cars. WTF?!

I take Puyuma almost every month from Hualien to Taipei or west coast and back again. I have never liked the rocking back and forth which seems to be getting worse (higher speed?).

Actually why is HSR so much smoother than Puyuma?

Bit of a summary:

1 Like

Dedicated HSR track was engineered by different people, with trains operated by workers in a company that (so far) has no tolerance for nonsense.

Guy

HSR is a high speed train designed from the ground up to be.

The puyuma runs on tracks designed to be run at normally 60 to 70 kph

Rail strengthening by welding ends together allowed higher speeds the taroko and puyuma can attain but not in all places.

More on the story from other sources

I know it’s probaby not politically correct but no one seems to have ruled out driver suicide as a possible explanation. The ATP being manually disabled, the train at it’s max speed and what appears to be no attempt made to slow down.

I often travel between Taipei and Taitung and agree that it is an uncomfortable train because of the jerking and shaking, especially at high speed.

You can’t read, type on your phone, practice writing Chinese, or anything much. So while the journey is shorter in time than other trains, it’s more boring.

As for why HSR is smoother: it travels on HSR rails, not TRA rails.

2 Likes

not politically correct, and not likely either.

Not likely, then why was there no attempt to slow down? Are we saying the cause was a total mechanical failure of all braking systems?

Need for speed and shorter transit times but I miss the old dAys when riding on the Chu Kuang, then Taiwan’s best train. Going about 60 kph it was a relaxing experience.

Took bout and hour and a half to fulung for 65nt instead of 35 for the non air conditioned limitedexpress

Always enjoyed that and especially when there was a dining car.

It’s time to slow things down a bit on the TRA lines and lengthen the train journeys in the view of safety.

Those tracks were never meant for 130kph and with the many crossings too.

The HSR should be the only fast train on Taiwan.

The western and eastern trunk line on TRA were never meant to handle speeds over 100kph

Note the worst train accident was when a tzechiang train hit a gravel truck on a crossing on the western line.

The HSR has no crossings

It’s time to limit TRA trains to 100kph all throughout Taiwan and of course some sections may require slower speeds

1 Like

Worth looking into and instituting the two drivers per train if that was the case.

As was the practice prior in Taiwan