Puyuma train derailed in Yilan (21 October 2018)

I was hoping it was something like not found.

That means death count will be awful.

I see a lot of first responders just standing around. That means there is no rush anymore.

I fear the train was probably full of tourists, as Puyuma tickets are hard to get, usually booked through travel agencies.

They are interviewing a witness and he is saying the second car got stuck at the station.

Number of injured has climbed up to 101.

This is pretty devastating.

I don’t see why this is worse than if it were filled with other kind of humans. I would hope that they were politicians, but…

1 Like

120 wounded. 17 dead.

True, any human being going through this is horrible,but on vacation, relaxed, far from family and friends, it is a bit more complicated.

To the first responders, now the army has been called in too.

There are people still trapped inside.

All that make the situation easier actually, at least in my opinion.

Repatriation of human remains is complicated. And sad.

There was a group of high school students on board. Found, hurt.

EDIT:
They are talking about 366 passengers.

I got some people over and planning on going to hualien tomorrow. You think they got the bodies and trains out of the way by tomorrow morning or should I make different plans ?

Train schedule has not been affected, they said. At least from Hualien. Better check tomorrow morning, as with an ongoing investigation, they probably cannot move the cars that fast.

My wife and I travel a lot between Zhixue (just south of Hualien) and Taipei. Peruma seemed to be going faster and faster lately…well, was just a feeling which we also felt two days ago.

Anyway, from now on will take the slow trains instead…

Interviewing an amah: she survived with hurt hand, grandchild’s face all broken and in surgery, husband they tried to revive 30 minutes …passed away.

Just opened the news and there is a reporter walking to the train wreck, picking up pieces. No officials in sight. How can they not keep idiots like that away from the scene?

2 Likes

Does anyone know if this accident had to do with the speed of the train, or anything about what caused it?

They are asking about it.

Right now a TRA official is giving an official press conference. He says all people are out.

8 cars. 3 destroyed.

Driver is alive but wounded.

126 wounded. EDIT now 132

This is the first accident ever of a Puyuma train.

i wonder if it happened during the sharp turn the railway makes around that area?

1 Like

Always fasten your seatbelts, folks.

1 Like

Next press conference is at 9:clock1030:

EDIT
The tv news is Ponting out that the passenger number still does not match confirmed wounded and dead, so there still could be more people trapped.

If the vehicle has no seat belt, you can buy one. May not be as safe but if it prevents you from hitting the ceiling or being thrown off the vehicle, it is helpful.

Stories like this always come down to conductors going too fast during sharp turns (usually to keep a schedule). Hope that’s not the case here, but that’s my hunch.

I know you didn’t do it on purpose but that sounded fucked up xD

3 Likes