Puyuma train derailed in Yilan (21 October 2018)

I guess they’re busy with other more important things, but yeah, that’s fucked up. Probably the guy’s even stealing shit.

PS: sorry, I didn’t pay attention to the “reporter” bit.

@icon mentioned something about some stalling or something. That railway piercing the wagon…

1 Like

They are asking people to stay away from the scene.

Driver in the hospital, seriously wounded, doctors still treating him.

That was a witness. They are already pestering the people at the hospitals. Most said they heard a PUM, then the cars toppled over. This guy said it was the second car that got stuck. They had just left the station, some said.

Too early to tell what happened.

I remember a similar accident in Germany. Also a car perforated by a metal bar.

The last update mentions 17 died before reaching the hospital and 120 injured, so we’ll have to see how many of those 120 are in serious conditions, how many people still have to be recovered etc.

feelsbadman 8(

2 Likes

New numbers from SET

15 dead. 3 in critical condition. 153 hurt.

2 people came back to life? take that, non believers!

1 Like

Same numbers in TVBS. 153 wounded.

Poor TRA people. And worse for the families. It is really confusing during the first moments.

EDIT now it is 18 dead.

Aside from PUM noise, there was smoke, white smoke. As per witness.

EDIT 2

They are pulling a body from under a car now. 366 passengers.

16:50 train stopped at station. 16:55 PUM

One foreigner, US citizen, among wounded.

I’m covering the story on my amateur news channel, if anyone is interested.

5 Likes

Very decent coverage. EDIT by that I mean written with decency.

US guy in Yilan hospital, Saint Mary or something. Hope AIT can deliver some help.

18 dead. 148 wounded. Still a lot of confusion at hospitals on who is where and how.

So many ambulances going around x_x

And Ma Ying-jeou just happened to be in Ilan at the time and has shown up as some kind of hero: WTF?

You need to do a harder sell, squire. That’s outstanding.

1 Like

And the army.

New Taipei City sent first responders. Taipei City has offered its emergency services.

It looks like they’re discussing the possibility that the accident occurred because a turn was taken too quickly.

1 Like

I knew that’d be it. That’s always it. :confused:

In that case I know which turn it is 8( there’s basically only one sharp turn between Yilan and hualien

Sadly it is not always driver error. We’ve had other derailments tied to foul play / insurance scams on the South Link line. But this case with the Puyuma train looks genuinely awful.

Guy

Trains are still running with only minor delays.