Q's about getting an Aussie Citizenship~

We’ve got a fair bit of stuff tied up here in Taiwan, but we want to get my wife’s Aussie citizenship soon - as we’re worried that later in time it will become more difficult.

While this would not normally be a problem if we were to simply move back, we do not have any intention of moving back to Aus just yet~ But she has to stay a certain number of days per year for a 2 year period.

This might sound a bit far fetched, but we were thinking about her going over there to do her time, while I stayed here and looked after the stuff we have here. Every vacation, I would head over to see her, and she would come here for a visit inbetween~

Would this be possible? or would it be frowned upon?

Just go to the Australian Gov’s immigration site.

The general rule is 2 years of residency living in Australia in the previoous 5 years with a minimum of 12 months in the last 2 years before application.

However a total of two years is required. So if your wife travels in and out of Australia that time is deducted.

If she has 21 months of residency and plans to continue staying in Australia she can file the applciation as they take a few months to process and then she can get the citizenship as close to the two years of residency required.

The citizenship rules are not likely to change anytime soon and Australia’s rules for citizenship rank as the easiest around the world.

I gave mine up in anycase.

So… basically in the first three years, she only has to be there for 4 months per year… and then for the last 2 years, 6?

or basically, she can live there for 2 years and then apply?

I’m more concerned about the “I’m here, she’s there” issue… will they frown upon the fact that I reside in Taiwan while she is living in Australia for those 2 years?

[quote=“x08”]So… basically in the first three years, she only has to be there for 4 months per year… and then for the last 2 years, 6?

or basically, she can live there for 2 years and then apply?

I’m more concerned about the “I’m here, she’s there” issue… will they frown upon the fact that I reside in Taiwan while she is living in Australia for those 2 years?[/quote]

The total make up of the time is really up to you. The fastest of course is to do 2 years straight.

Where you live in regards to your wife is irrelevant. It’s not an issue as citizenship is only based on her actual physical residency in Australia. My wife lived there and I was here in Taiwan until she got her citizenship.

k, that answers it perfectly, thanks :slight_smile:

the only issue i’ve got left is that my daughter will go with her~ and i will miss her dearly~